Extremeskins

ST: In praise of Gibbs at a Redskins revival

bubba9497

In praise of Gibbs at a Redskins revival

Sunday, June 13, 2004

BY KIMBERLY JONES

Star-Ledger Staff

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1087102231157170.xml

ASHBURN, Va. -- Shortly after joining the Redskins in March, quarterback Mark Brunell got used to the routine.

He goes out to dinner, is politely interrupted and then greeted with this refrain: "I just can't believe Joe Gibbs is back!"

That is the prevailing sentiment of Washington fans, whose considerable enthusiasm will peak sometime this summer in anticipation of Gibbs' first NFL season in 12 years at the helm of the Redskins.

And Brunell, the former Jaguar, understands.

"I've never played for a coach who's won three Super Bowls," he said. "That's big."

For a franchise that has made one playoff appearance since he "retired," the 63-year-old Gibbs represents a sense of stability and a tradition of winning. Would anyone who remembers his Hall of Fame-worthy first go-round bet against him?

"Every coach has a different aura. This one's got a special aura," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "He's got what they call 'the halo effect' -- with him around, nothing but good can happen."

Clearly, even amid considerable change, turnover and rising expectations, these are good days at Redskins Park. It has been an eventful off-season, including trades for Brunell and running back Clinton Portis, the loss of cornerback Champ Bailey in the Portis deal, and the addition of perhaps six new starters on defense, including former Giants defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and linebacker Mike Barrow.

But the dominating themes have been Gibbs and an almost tangible optimism, and the two are unquestionably intertwined.

"I've come into a situation -- actually all of us have -- where we've got a proven coach with an incredible success record, and he knows what he's talking about," Brunell said. "He commands your respect instantly because he's been there. Honestly, I consider it a privilege to have a chance to play for him."

In the wake of the Redskins' 5-11 season and the departure of coach Steve Spurrier, Gibbs was probably the only man who could transform a losing climate before winning even one game.

"Those three Lombardi trophies got there by way of Joe Gibbs," Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington said. "He's done so much for this city, for the community, and he has such a great reputation for winning."

"Guys believe in what he's done," defensive end Renaldo Wynn said, "and we believe in what he's doing this year."

Gibbs won nearly 70 percent of his games as Redskins coach from 1981-92, but it isn't just his résumé that has captured his players. It is his manner.

He asks about their families. He is adding a players' lounge to enhance their working environment. He has a deep faith many admire and a self-deprecating sense of humor they appreciate.

But Gibbs is also demanding, in emphasizing attendance at off-season workouts, in requiring focus on the field and in the meeting room. And no one has publicly balked.

"This year, I promise you, we will be one of the best-coached teams in the league," Smoot said.

While Gibbs spends his time almost exclusively with the offense -- leaving the defense to assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams -- he will address the defensive players during team meetings, apologizing for ignoring them and making sure they are appreciated.

"He's a great guy, a very respected guy. He has a great record, he's a Hall of Fame coach," Griffin said. "What more do you want?"

In minicamps, which the Redskins completed last weekend, and on Organized Team Activity days, Gibbs asks foremost that his players work hard and then rewards them when they do so.

He scheduled only 12 of the allowed 14 OTAs, and the Redskins will not report early for training camp -- players are scheduled to arrive July 30 -- despite their participation in the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 9.

"I don't look at myself or our staff as a disciplinarian group," Gibbs said. "I think we more emphasize common sense, hard work, short periods of time on the field but real hard, real physical (effort). You tell (players), 'We're not going to ask you to do stupid stuff. We're going to get you on the field, get you off. Work hard when you're out there.'

"When we're on the field, we have 32 plays as a team. We finish 10 minutes early? Hey, they're out of there."

While Gibbs cautions that he won't truly know what kind of team he has until the pads go on in August, he has found his players to be a particularly receptive group. The opportunity to win, and a belief they can do so, has energized the locker room.

"I'm not going to put a timeline on (a turnaround)," Smoot said. "I'm tired of losing now."

So is Arrington, who has grown weary of coaching changes and often has taken a cautious approach this off-season.

"The way they're coaching, the kind of players we have, the way guys are buying into it, it really seems like it could be a great run," Arrington said. "We could make a really good push for it this year."

And if they don't? Arrington referred to this new era as "the final frontier."

In other words, if Joe Gibbs can't restore glory to the Washington Redskins, who can?

Originally posted by bubba9497

In praise of Gibbs at a Redskins revival

Sunday, June 13, 2004

BY KIMBERLY JONES

Star-Ledger Staff

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1087102231157170.xml

ASHBURN, Va. -- Shortly after joining the Redskins in March, quarterback Mark Brunell got used to the routine.

He goes out to dinner, is politely interrupted and then greeted with this refrain: "I just can't believe Joe Gibbs is back!"

That is the prevailing sentiment of Washington fans, whose considerable enthusiasm will peak sometime this summer in anticipation of Gibbs' first NFL season in 12 years at the helm of the Redskins.

And Brunell, the former Jaguar, understands.

"I've never played for a coach who's won three Super Bowls," he said. "That's big."

For a franchise that has made one playoff appearance since he "retired," the 63-year-old Gibbs represents a sense of stability and a tradition of winning. Would anyone who remembers his Hall of Fame-worthy first go-round bet against him?

"Every coach has a different aura. This one's got a special aura," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "He's got what they call 'the halo effect' -- with him around, nothing but good can happen."

Clearly, even amid considerable change, turnover and rising expectations, these are good days at Redskins Park. It has been an eventful off-season, including trades for Brunell and running back Clinton Portis, the loss of cornerback Champ Bailey in the Portis deal, and the addition of perhaps six new starters on defense, including former Giants defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and linebacker Mike Barrow.

But the dominating themes have been Gibbs and an almost tangible optimism, and the two are unquestionably intertwined.

"I've come into a situation -- actually all of us have -- where we've got a proven coach with an incredible success record, and he knows what he's talking about," Brunell said. "He commands your respect instantly because he's been there. Honestly, I consider it a privilege to have a chance to play for him."

In the wake of the Redskins' 5-11 season and the departure of coach Steve Spurrier, Gibbs was probably the only man who could transform a losing climate before winning even one game.

"Those three Lombardi trophies got there by way of Joe Gibbs," Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington said. "He's done so much for this city, for the community, and he has such a great reputation for winning."

"Guys believe in what he's done," defensive end Renaldo Wynn said, "and we believe in what he's doing this year."

Gibbs won nearly 70 percent of his games as Redskins coach from 1981-92, but it isn't just his résumé that has captured his players. It is his manner.

He asks about their families. He is adding a players' lounge to enhance their working environment. He has a deep faith many admire and a self-deprecating sense of humor they appreciate.

But Gibbs is also demanding, in emphasizing attendance at off-season workouts, in requiring focus on the field and in the meeting room. And no one has publicly balked.

"This year, I promise you, we will be one of the best-coached teams in the league," Smoot said.

While Gibbs spends his time almost exclusively with the offense -- leaving the defense to assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams -- he will address the defensive players during team meetings, apologizing for ignoring them and making sure they are appreciated.

"He's a great guy, a very respected guy. He has a great record, he's a Hall of Fame coach," Griffin said. "What more do you want?"

In minicamps, which the Redskins completed last weekend, and on Organized Team Activity days, Gibbs asks foremost that his players work hard and then rewards them when they do so.

He scheduled only 12 of the allowed 14 OTAs, and the Redskins will not report early for training camp -- players are scheduled to arrive July 30 -- despite their participation in the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 9.

"I don't look at myself or our staff as a disciplinarian group," Gibbs said. "I think we more emphasize common sense, hard work, short periods of time on the field but real hard, real physical (effort). You tell (players), 'We're not going to ask you to do stupid stuff. We're going to get you on the field, get you off. Work hard when you're out there.'

"When we're on the field, we have 32 plays as a team. We finish 10 minutes early? Hey, they're out of there."

While Gibbs cautions that he won't truly know what kind of team he has until the pads go on in August, he has found his players to be a particularly receptive group. The opportunity to win, and a belief they can do so, has energized the locker room.

"I'm not going to put a timeline on (a turnaround)," Smoot said. "I'm tired of losing now."

So is Arrington, who has grown weary of coaching changes and often has taken a cautious approach this off-season.

"The way they're coaching, the kind of players we have, the way guys are buying into it, it really seems like it could be a great run," Arrington said. "We could make a really good push for it this year."

And if they don't? Arrington referred to this new era as "the final frontier."

In other words, if Joe Gibbs can't restore glory to the Washington Redskins, who can?

The really great thing & what is helping boost the overall optimism in Washington is that the players are buying into the system so early. We're not hearing that guys are just not getting with the program. Everyone is on board & it sounds like everyone is on the same page or close to it. I can certainly understand Arrington's frustration. As well as some others who have gone thru several coaching changes at this point, but I really don't think they have anything to worry about at this point. This coaching staff is far too good NOT to succeed at some level. Obviously, Lombardi is the ultimate goal (unless you are an Eagles fan, in which case, the ultimate goal is the NFC Championship game - or losing it), but right now, I can be happy with getting to the playoffs this first season. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if he could take us all the way his first season back. Look at John Fox. He was able to take a 1-15 team to the Super Bowl the very next season. In this NFL, anything is possible!

Archived