Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PDN: Owens, McNabb in throws of controversy

bubba9497

Owens, McNabb not in throws of controversy

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8835084.htm?ERIGHTS=-4642919423073832538philly::bubba9497@hotmail.com&KRD_RM=5lqnuqmoqlmttluulllllllllt|Steve|Y

The ball is Terrell Owens' friend, the Eagles' new wide receiver explained yesterday, and T.O. gets anxious when he and his buddy aren't seeing enough of one another.

They spent a lovely June morning together yesterday, the second day of the Eagles' passing camp, which continues today, then breaks until Tuesday and runs through next Friday.

"For whatever reason, I got some extra balls today," Owens said, after fretting in a New York Times story that in Wednesday's drills, he wasn't "getting enough balls in the seven-on-seven stuff."

Owens and Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb talked at length to reporters yesterday about the process of adjusting to one another. Owens said that process, so crucial to the Eagles' Super Bowl hopes, was the reason he'd complained.

"I'm behind on adjusting to Donovan because his ball comes a little faster and I need more work on that," Owens was quoted as saying in the Times. "I know it's early, though. But the quicker I get that down, the quicker that part of it is over. Don't get me wrong - I know this is a great place for me."

Yesterday, Owens said those quotes were "me just being competitive. I'm really antsy, really anticipating a great year, just like the city of Philadelphia. When September comes I just want to be...hitting on all cylinders.

"His velocity is a lot different than I'm used to in the past, so I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I know it's early in the camp, but I'm ready to go...I'm excited about the opportunity here, and that's basically what I was meaning by that - nothing negative at all."

McNabb said the biggest impression he's gotten from Owens so far is "his work ethic, his intensity toward practice." Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell said Owens has been "a coach out there," tutoring younger receivers on the finer points of route-running.

Those other receivers, of course, like to keep a nodding acquaintance with the ball themselves. In fact, that's sort of what Eagles coach Andy Reid has built his offense around, spreading the ball around to a bunch of targets.

Owens certainly is aware of that idea, and in sessions with reporters has embraced the company line that his presence will result in more opportunities for Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, Brian Westbrook and all the other potential weapons. But you have to wonder how that will work out in November, especially since T.O. is worried about getting the ball enough in an early June seven-on-seven drill.

As Mitchell noted yesterday, "it's all sugar-coated right now. You got to wait 'til the season starts to get the story."

Owens, who spent a couple of hours with McNabb Wednesday at an Eagles' photo shoot, still wants to get together with the quarterback to run routes between now and training camp, either on McNabb's home turf in Arizona or in Owens' Atlanta-area environs. He said he anticipates a close relationship, though he never really hung out off the field with Steve Young or Jeff Garcia during his 8 years with the 49ers. Owens and Garcia became adversaries last season. Until then, Owens said, he never had a problem working with any quarterback, regardless of their personal relationship.

"I might be mad at you, but I'm not going to be mad at the ball," Owens said. "That's my friend."

McNabb, who spoke after Owens yesterday in the NovaCare auditorium, seemed careful to emphasize the need to get chemistry and timing "with all the guys," and to "take what the defense gives you," while also saying that the Eagles "have to come up with plays in which we can get him the ball and let him work."

The ball might be T.O.'s pal, but it has to hang out with McNabb on every snap.

"If it's his friend, it's my brother," McNabb joked.

Asked if Owens had told him how much he wants the ball, McNabb quickly replied in the negative.

"That's really nothing that I would want to pay attention to," McNabb said. "It's not a factor that really [carries] any weight, in my mind. It's good to hear that a receiver wants the ball at times, but we have one already that has that mentality. That's Freddie...If the opportunity is there for me to get the ball to T.O., that's something I'll do. If they're double-covering him, I'll go through my progression, go through my reads and get the ball to someone else and give them an opportunity to make the play."

Owens said his relationship with McNabb "is in progress...We're each trying to get a feel for how I'm running certain routes, and I have to adjust to how he's throwing certain routes."

At one point yesterday, Owens was running a route across the middle and McNabb threw high and hard. Just as the ball seemed ready to sail past Owens, Owens reached up and snagged it cleanly, never breaking stride, while teammates made appreciative noises.

"My thing is to continue to bring the heat pretty much," McNabb said. "The only way he'll get the chance to get used to it is to continue to throw it the same way. Something I've been working on in the offseason is touch on different routes and knowing when to get on the gas a little bit, and knowing on some shorter routes when to give him the opportunity to catch the ball and turn upfield."

Originally posted by Luca Brasi

So....it's June 4th and Owens is already complaining about not getting enough balls thrown his way?

This is really going to be fun to watch this year.

:cheers:

It sure will be fun to watch. The Philly faithful will still claim that T.O. isn't a me-first player and that will add to the entertainment.

It sure will be fun seeing what kind of excuses they make for T.O.:eaglesuck

Originally posted by Luca Brasi

So....it's June 4th and Owens is already complaining about not getting enough balls thrown his way?

This is really going to be fun to watch this year.

:cheers:

Yea, but didn't you read that Owens even stated that it wasn't meant in a negative way in any form? :laugh: Yea, right...how could that statement be made in a positive way...what a doofus! :laugh:

Guest Westbrook36

Bubba is obsessed with the Eagles, McNabb, and Owens.

There can be no other explanation.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Bubba is obsessed with the Eagles, McNabb, and Owens.

There can be no other explanation.

Sure there is. A couple of them. And you just provided one. But not the one you gave. :)

I like the fact the Eagles have stepped up and become the 'name' team in the East in terms of personalities and paychecks.

Owens, McNabb, Kearse, etc.....

Hopefully the self-imposed bullseye the Redskins put on themselves in previous seasons has been erased and we can sneak up on some people with a solid squad of contributors coached by a capable, veteran staff.

Archived