Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells or Gibbs?

Parcells has repeated sucess with different clubs, but Gibbs has more rings (over fewer seasons) and a better overall record. Gibbs has also only had one losing season (7-9) in his entire coaching career. Parcells seems to lapse every couple of years. I'd go with Gibbs.

they seem so different yet effective.

Of course I'd learn towards Gibbs because he's coached NFL teams to Superbowls.....and led Nascar teams to championships.

He's a Leader....pure and simple.

If Gibbs had stayed retired and the Tuna came to DC instead of Dallas. I don't think any of us would be upset with the results he'd get with this roster.

did you like him more because Gibbs was the skins coach or because you really thought he was better?? like some people pointed out....Gibbs has more rings, only one losing seasons, and Parcells has had his couple of bad seasons like the one he's gonna have this year

Originally posted by RW31

Actually, I think you'll find more NFL teams will go for parcells, I know I liked him more way before we hired him. He just seems to have a knack for making bnad teams great.

I don't know if that's true.

Maybe its just that Parcells is an easier hire for NFL teams. I mean, he's with his 4th Franchise has HC already.

I know the Panthers AND Falcons both tried to get Gibbs to come out of retirement. I wouldn't be shocked to hear other South East teams tried also.

Originally posted by skns4life

did you like him more because Gibbs was the skins coach or because you really thought he was better?? like some people pointed out....Gibbs has more rings, only one losing seasons, and Parcells has had his couple of bad seasons like the one he's gonna have this year

If you think a division title is a bad season well then...;)

But seriously, Parcells has had success wherever he went. Gibbs has had success(only one losing season, great winning percentage.)but that is with staying with the same team. Had parcells been with the Giants all along I think he would have experienced the same kind of succes. And, even if you guys hate this argument, I will always hold those two strike seasons against him.

Originally posted by Bufford 3.3

I don't know if that's true.

Maybe its just that Parcells is an easier hire for NFL teams. I mean, he's with his 4th Franchise has HC already.

I know the Panthers AND Falcons both tried to get Gibbs to come out of retirement. I wouldn't be shocked to hear other South East teams tried also.

I meant NFL fans...

Parcells is one of the great coaches of all-time, but there are a few warts on his resume. Although he has taken more than 1 team to the Super Bowl, he has only won it with one. In fact, if you look at his final seasons with the Giants, Patriots and Jets, he went from winning Super Bowls with the Giants, to appearing in a Super Bowl with the Patriots, to appearing in a Conference Championship with the Jets. Diminishing returns. Also, theres the whole "he's never done it w/o Belichick, but Belichick did it w/o him. And remember that abortive attempt to come out of retirement in Tampa a couple of years ago?

Gibbs isn't just a great coach, he's a class guy. He's up there with Shula, Walsh, Landry and Noll. The question is how that resume is going to translate onto the field this year.

Originally posted by RW31

I meant NFL fans...

Parcells and Gibbs have something in common.

Neither have won a Superbowl since Free Agency started.

The difference.....Parcells has been trying....with different teams.

At this point I guess nobody can prove anything.

So....all we can say is "Rings" and "Gibbs has his bust in the HOF"

Parcells will one day....but not yet.

Originally posted by flashback

Parcells is one of the great coaches of all-time, but there are a few warts on his resume. Although he has taken more than 1 team to the Super Bowl, he has only won it with one. In fact, if you look at his final seasons with the Giants, Patriots and Jets, he went from winning Super Bowls with the Giants, to appearing in a Super Bowl with the Patriots, to appearing in a Conference Championship with the Jets. Diminishing returns. Also, theres the whole "he's never done it w/o Belichick, but Belichick did it w/o him. And remember that abortive attempt to come out of retirement in Tampa a couple of years ago?

Gibbs isn't just a great coach, he's a class guy. He's up there with Shula, Walsh, Landry and Noll. The question is how that resume is going to translate onto the field this year.

So what you're saying is, that parcells hasn't had the success hes had with the giants with any other team? I can use the same argument with Gibbs.

Originally posted by Bufford 3.3

Parcells and Gibbs have something in common.

Neither have won a Superbowl since Free Agency started.

The difference.....Parcells has been trying....with different teams.

At this point I guess nobody can prove anything.

So....all we can say is "Rings" and "Gibbs has his bust in the HOF"

Parcells will one day....but not yet.

That is why I say this is a pointless argument. They will settle it on the field...

Both are very good coaches obviously. To use an cliche', they both can get their players to "play above themselves". However, I lean towards Gibbs being better...part of the reasoning is I'm a Skins fan so I admit some biased there. But thinking from the head and not the heart I still lean towards Gibbs because he won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's in a 12 year coaching career.

That's still a pretty amazing feat when you sit back and think about it.

Also, he was so good at adapting to the talent of the players around him. He won with smash-mouth football teams and he won with finesse teams.

If I was a fan of some random team struggling for years to claw out of mediocrity, I'd probably want Parcells. The guy specializes in turning clubs around. Even if he hasn't won superbowls in FA, he's a proven quick fix man.

If I were a fan of the Redskins (which I am) then I'd want Gibbs. He's not proven in FA like Parcells is, but he lives and breathes the Redskins. He'll do whatever it takes to get this team on it's feet again. His specialties are leadership, stability, teamwork, and chemistry. Qualities that the Redskins have been in serious need of over the past ten years.

And if we are judging careers ... If we are looking back ten years from now and asking 'who was the better coach?' Well, that's a tough one. Gibbs has achieved more in less time, but Parcells has proven his ability in different eras. Right now I think I'd have to go with Om's answer. Maybe in five years that answer will be different.

Archived