Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we really this bad?

JackC

I don't believe the bag over the head is needed this early in the season. As the announcer(Green) pointed out yesterday, it's just one game and one game does not a season make.

If we can just limit the turnovers and ST gaffes, then I think we'll atleast be in the games we play unlike yesterday. I liked what I saw from the defense(Smoot is a player!), but we have to improve in every other area.

Really though, expectations shouldn't be that high for this team. It's a transition year and those usually are tough.

I just hope we can improve, but if not then the hometown fans could get ugly next week.

HTTR!!

------------------

World Champions:

1937injun.gif , 1942injun.gif , 1982injun.gif , 1987injun.gif , 1991injun.gif

[edited.gif by Kenny on September 10, 2001.]

right now we ARE that bad. It doesn't mean we will stay this inept but as of the present the team has the same flaws it showed all during the preseason:

1. lousy special teams coverage units.

2. atrocious play from the quarterback position.

3. inconsistent play from the line in run blocking.

4. inability to get much pressure on the quarterback.

5. inability to stop teams on third downs.

Hey, Jack, we certainly WERE that bad. Whether we are that bad or not is a point up for debate. We could well be that bad. We could also be much better. My guess is we'll ultimately be fine this season. But, ask me after Sunday for a more thoughtful response smile.gif

------------------

Doom is in the box.

I have every expectation that we will be one of the most improved teams over the course of the season. By week 16 I think we'll be in good shape to know what parts are missing that need to be addressed in the draft or in FA next off-season.

I'm not necessarily writing this season off, either, but my expectations have been tempered somewhat (they already were compared to many).

With the rest of the division failing to get out of the starting gate, Marty's best approach might be to treat the game as a laugher, put it behind us as quickly as possible, and move on.

Sure, the press and the fans will dwell on it, but the team might be better served by loooking ahead rather than regurgitating that abomination over and over.

Find the highlights and emphiasize them, work on the correctable problems, and plan on starting fresh against the Cards.

Terry, I honestly think this team has to challenge itself and compete to rise to its own best level and not concern itself so much with the race to the playoffs and Super Bowl.

You need to learn to crawl, then walk, then run. To think all these problems can be overcome in a week is naive.

As I have said before, MANY of the players we are criticizing right now are NOT going to be on this team next year when I predict the Redskins WILL make the playoffs and contend.

This process is HALF way through and as such is still in a chaotic state.

Anyone who watched Centers, Stubby, Deion, Thrash, Sellers, Smith, Carrier, etc... leave and be replaced by rookie draft picks and free agents, knew that the team was taking a more long term focus.

It is typical of Redskins fans not to understand that we are in the midst of a rebuilding process.

Just because Norv didn't get us to a Super Bowl before the team aged and collapsed in 2000, doesn't mean that we aren't in the position of starting over again.

Sometimes rebuilding follows rebuilding.

That is the cost of having the wrong guy in place for so long. Just as you think you are due for some winning, the entire puzzle is blown up and you have to start over.

This team needs to get a quarterback it can believe in, more strength and size on the defensive line and more consistent play from younger talented players such as Gardner, Terrell, Smoot, Brandt, Arrington, Samuels, etc.....

Archived