Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Internet access question

Nerm

I am moving soon and I need to set up internet access. Right now I am using a VERY slow dial-up connection. I like the idea of high-speed acess but I don't like the cost. Has anyone tried the faster dial-up services like Earthlink accelerator? Do they really go a lot faster, or should I just bite the bullet and go with a high speed connection. I don't do things like play games or download music online, but I will sometimes listen to radio feeds while surfing and everything is just too slow when I have more than one window up.

Any advice?

Also, what is the difference (for the user) between cable and DSL? Are there cost and performace differences? What type of equipment do you need?

Originally posted by Nerm

Also, what is the difference (for the user) between cable and DSL? Are there cost and performace differences? What type of equipment do you need?

Cable is a bit faster than DSL. However, DSL is guaranteed speed, while Cable varies depending on how many users are on. So the more people in your area that have the same cable provider as you, the slower it can get. I've had both Comcast cable and Verizon DSL, and never had a problem with either one of them. The only equipment you need is a network adapter, preferably 100mb, CAT5 (100mb) cable, and you'll want a router as well.

If you are planning to stay in your future residence for more then a year I would suggest biting the bullet and going with broadband. It inevitable that you’ll have to convert, your situation gives you an excuse to upgrade now. I have yet to hear anyone say they would go back to dialup after getting broadband.

Price wise it may not be too bad compared to dialup, depending on your area the local ISPs may be competing for your business. I went with Time Warner cable and got in on a deal that included free in-home installation and the first 3-months half off. I believe the deal now has increased to six months half off (I think $45 of my cable bill is for ISP). Depends on your area though, my in-laws are still in an area where broadband doesn’t make sense yet…

Free install had a tech come to my home and install a network card into my computer and hook up the external modem and run cables between everything. Everything was free, I even hid my newer computer and had them install everything on an old machine so I could get a free network card. Now if you want to create a local network in your home, that will require extra equipment, it doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

I’m in an apartment complex using cable and I’ve have never noticed it get bogged down. I have not much seat time on DSL so I spare you with that. I do know that when I last looked at the local companies here, DSL gave you more space for web-pages, while cable offered free virus and firewall software.

HTH, wk

Originally posted by wkelch

I’m in an apartment complex using cable and I’ve have never noticed it get bogged down. I have not much seat time on DSL so I spare you with that. I do know that when I last looked at the local companies here, DSL gave you more space for web-pages, while cable offered free virus and firewall software.

HTH, wk

The only virus software you should be using is AVG Free Version. It is leaps and bounds better than any of the other "major" virus scans on the market (ie: Norton, McAfee). As for a firewall, I would never fully trust Firewall software, as it's more vulnerable than a hardware firewall. But if you are going to use software, you can get Zone Alarm for free.

P.S. I got a deal from Comcast that included cable internet (25mb per username for webhosting), digital premium plus w/ HD (30 HD Channels) package for $59.99. That deal is good for 2 years, and after that, the highest the contract goes to is 67.99 for the length of my service. That saved me $30 when I was able to cancel Verizon DSL.

I don't know where you're moving to but I just upgraded to a Bell South static IP broadband connection. I'm pulling 2.7 MB down and am capable of hosting LAN parties now. Only $54.99 fot the service and you are FAST!! You are not sharing bandwidth with other users. It's your line and the speed is constant. No group hacking is also appealing.

Thanks for the responses.

I am moving into an apartment building for about a year (internship). it will be in a small town without a ton of choices for access. I hate how slow my dialup is so I will probably go with a cable hookup. If the Earthlink accelerator was a lot faster than the regular dialup that I have now, I could live with it for a year(they say it is "up to" 5x faster than regular dialup). It's half the price of cable, but I'm not sure if it is really much faster than what I have now. Anyone ever tried it?

Tech TV has an article that put some numbers on Earthlink Accelerator service. Its worse then I thought, I think I would just stick with standard dialup if I had only those two choices.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3675936,00.html

* if you do decide to go broadband, make sure you don't get hit with any penalties for cutting service off after a year. I'm not aware of any problems but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there is a minimum time period required to receive some of these deals, kind of like cell-phone service...

We recently switched from dial-up to cable. The speed is so much better. If cost is an issue, we found that several companies offer bundled services, which can lower your overall costs. For example, we are getting cable TV, cable internet, and long distance service for less that we were paying for cable TV, dial-up internet and long distance previously.

Archived