Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What they are saying about Portis in Denver

fuji869

Originally posted by 3DaysLatr

Another way of looking at what Denver fans have to say about Portis is to remember that they keep getting prime production from pretty much anyone that suites up behind their line. I'd be real happy about the trade if I was them as well. They got one of the top 5 (arguable) or 10 (not arguable) CBs in the NFL plus our 2nd rounder for their flavor of the week RB. Naturally they are talking the guy down.

Time to dispute the fallacy of the "Denver offensive line."

Trivia question: How many Denver OL made the Pro Bowl in the last five years?

:Jeopardy music:

Exactly one - Tom Nalen.

Uh, the center. In 2000 and 2004.

Yeah they chop block and the league players dont like it and they dont get to go to the PB. But which player is most likely to chop? The center...

Nalens good but when your only top notch OL is the center, then its hard to even begin to compliment the OL.

Denver has had outstanding backs. Portis made the OL look great last year for example, not the other way around. Terrell Davis did the same.

Originally posted by yank

Time to dispute the fallacy of the "Denver offensive line."

Trivia question: How many Denver OL made the Pro Bowl in the last five years?

:Jeopardy music:

Exactly one - Tom Nalen.

Uh, the center. In 2000 and 2004.

Yeah they chop block and the league players dont like it and they dont get to go to the PB. But which player is most likely to chop? The center...

Nalens good but when your only top notch OL is the center, then its hard to even begin to compliment the OL.

Denver has had outstanding backs. Portis made the OL look great last year for example, not the other way around. Terrell Davis did the same.

Or................ Maybe the wrong people are getting credit for what goes on there. They produce production RBs as often as the sun rises. Call them chop blockers or whatever else you want but they produce rushing yards and that's the bottom line. Please don't use Pro Bowl elections as the standard for quality play, that's far too political to be an accurate measure of success (especially for O-Linemen). How can you argue with the production of Denver's rushing game? The constant there has not been the backs, it's been the line and coaching staff. As far as their great backs go I didn't see Gary lighting it up in Detroit, he couldn't even land the primary ball carrier's role for them after getting ushered out of Buffalo after they drafted an injured Mcgahee.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Portis and since we've got him I hope he's the real thing but if you're going to tell me that Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary are going to light it up on another team I've got to disagree with that.

It's funny how people in this thread are balking at Champ the same way these Denver fans are supposedly balking at Portis. I still think we overpaid for Portis. Adding in the 2nd rounder was really giving away the farm, although that can be justified down the road with a couple rings and a few 2000 all purpose yard years. (probable, yet unlikely) Champ was our best defensive player, period. Shawn Springs will NEVER, EVER be as good as Champ and for the toolbox that said Champ is a headcase you are really tokin the green dank today man, haha... put down the :bong: and come on back to reality.

Phoenix is a melting pot of people from all over the country including many from Colorado. The owner of my company and my roomate are both from Denver and both of them are bigtime Broncs fans. They both say the same thing; "We raped you guys" Other broncs fans I've talked to are fairly confident in Quentin Griffin to get the job done for them, not to mention a solid prospect in Bell. I agree with them on that.

The only way to really see who wins out is to let the players step on the field in their new unis. We can speculate for hours on it but the bottom line is Champ is a baller, well worth the high draft pick we used on him, and Portis is a gamebreaker RB.

Frankly, I am tired of the Bailey badmouthing. He was a great player for us for 5 years and I am very sorry to see him go. I don't blame him for his attitude. I am going through something of the same thing at work right now and it really does suck. It is making me consider a new job so I can't throw stones at him and wish others would stop.

I'm happy we got Portis but again wish the Denver fans would stop the trash talking. It does no one any good. Bailey is there and Portis is here. Remember the good both did their former teams and be thankful for that.

I hate to be a downer on a Monday morning but I wonder if given the way Davis- Gary-Anderson-Portis popped right out of the gate with monster years is everyone prepared for the possibility Tatum Bell might outdo Portis this year? I mean Portis faced 13 bottom 1/4 D's his first 2 years and I don't think he faces one off 03 stats this year so his numbers might take a nose-dive. That would be especially galling because they took Bell with the second rd pick they were able to pry out of Snyder. Portis himself was a Denver 2nd rd pick so a great start by Bell is not unlikely. It would probably haunt this franchise forever if Bailey continues to be a PB CB and the so-called Denver effect elevates Bell's career over Portis' career.

Only, Pocono, if Portis fails to deliver here. If the Redskins win 9-10 games and Portis is a big reason for that, I could care less about Denver.

If the Redskins crash and burn completely, which is the scenerio you are describing, then Denver's little front office victories will be the least of my worries. See Panthers, Carolina. 2003.

I live clsoe to denver now (moved from Florida) and suprisingly the people here (Bronco fans) always said Portis was arrogant prior to him even leaving. For those native to this area, they feel the trade worked out for both teams. I have not heard too many Bronco fans bad mouthing Portis but praising him and knowing that the Gibbs system will make him shine. They also feel confident they can plug another RB in behind there line and succeed. They love it that Champ is here. They feel they now have their shut down corner. Alot of them ask me about my feelings on the trade and of course I think it helped both teams. I just wish it would have been straight up and left the 2nd round pick out of the process.

I can attest to the fact that the thin air makes people think differently here around Denver though...

Archived