Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Redskins Notes

Kosher Ham

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch May 7, 2004

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775317731&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

FISHING FOR AN ANSWER: Late last Friday night, long after the players had departed Redskin Park, a lone deliveryman entered the building. Seeing no one at the receptionist's desk, he walked into the media workroom. He was looking for Cory Raymer, the Redskins former center who had been re-signed to compete for the center's job with Lennie Friedman.

The deliveryman was told that Raymer was long gone. And he was asked if the delivery was something he could leave at the front desk.

"Actually," he said, "it's a boat."

Ah, a boat. That probably would not fit on the front desk.

"It's my fishing boat," Raymer said the next day. "I had to have it shipped here from San Diego. That's the bad part about changing teams like this. I have to pay to have everything moved across the country."

Raymer left the Redskins after the 2001 season and signed as a free agent with the San Diego Chargers. He played there two seasons, missing most of one year with a torn Achilles tendon. The Chargers released him in a salary-cap move this spring, and the Redskins re-signed him.

Had the Chargers traded him to the Redskins, Raymer's moving expenses would have been covered. Since he signed on his own volition, Raymer must pay for the move himself.

Raymer, from Wisconsin, is used to cold weather, prefers flannel shirts and blue jeans to golf shirts and khakis, and wasn't at all sure San Diego was a good fit for him. But former Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer got the Chargers job and offered Raymer a lucrative contract.

"I didn't want to leave here, and I'm excited to be back," he said. "I thought San Diego would be the worst place for me to go. But it turned out to be fun. The only problem I had was when the "Fat Police" would chase me off the beach."

Raymer, a portly fellow at 6-3, 300, was only joking about that.

CAR AND DRIVER: Being one of the last to leave Redskin Park can be an interesting experience. Last summer, during training camp, a young woman came into the Redskin Park building long after the players, coaches and staff had departed.

As usual in that situation, she came into the media workroom.

"I'm looking for LaVar Arrington," she said.

Arrington is the Redskins' star linebacker.

Not here, she was told. Is there a message?

"I need to leave this Mercedes for him," she said.

It's unknown if that delivery was completed successfully, but Arrington is not one to keep secrets, and since he hasn't complained about a missing Mercedes, he probably got it.

HAPPY TO BE THERE: Arrington also says he's finally getting the idea of why coaches want him to play defensive end on passing downs. Arrington did that extensively, and unhappily, in 2002 at the order of then-Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis. The new Redskins defensive staff is considering having him do it more often in 2004.

Arrington is more amenable to the idea now. When Lewis left to become the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, Arrington did not shed tears at the departure.

"Two defensive schemes later, I can see what Marvin was trying to get accomplished," Arrington said. "I might give him a call to tell him I understand now. I think I would have understood it better at the time if it had just been handled differently.

"Whatever I can do to help the team, I'll do. I don't necessarily have to like it."

The Redskins plan to use Arrington as a pass rusher whether he's on the line or playing at weakside linebacker. Their defensive line does not have an accomplished pass rusher, and the Redskins hope to generate pressure on quarterbacks with their linebackers.

Advocates for playing Arrington at defensive end point to the 11 sacks he had in 2002. The Redskins were 7-9.

However, in 2001, Arrington had just ½ sack, played almost exclusively behind the front four and was one of the most dominating defensive players in the NFL. The Redskins finished 8-8 that year.

A GOOD START: Former Virginia Tech cornerback Garnell Wilds, signed as a college free agent by the Redskins, had some bright moments during the minicamp. He was solid in several pass-coverage drills. He'll be a longshot to make the team. The Redskins signed three veteran cornerbacks during the NFL free agency period and already had Fred Smoot and Rashad Bauman on the roster.

"Two defensive schemes later, I can see what Marvin was trying to get accomplished," Arrington said. "I might give him a call to tell him I understand now. I think I would have understood it better at the time if it had just been handled differently.

"Whatever I can do to help the team, I'll do. I don't necessarily have to like it.

Man what a me first jerk this guy is. He's the highest paid player at his posititon and he has an attitude like this. Do us a favor LaVar show us don't tell us. Earn your Poston inflated/deflated paycheck this year please.

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

"Whatever I can do to help the team, I'll do. I don't necessarily have to like it.

Man what a me first jerk this guy is. He's the highest paid player at his posititon and he has an attitude like this. Do us a favor LaVar show us don't tell us. Earn your Poston inflated/deflated paycheck this year please.

I have to agree. Our 2000 draft was a disaster. We paid way way too much for Samuels and Arrington, and none of the lower picks are even in the NFL anymore.

In related news, Arrington is now suing the Mercedes dealer, claiming they offered to sell him 2 Mercedes (a blue one and a black one) for the price of one. Although Arrington signed a sales sheet for the black SL model, he insists the salesman offered to throw in a blue SL as well in order to make the deal. The dealership disputes Lavar's claim. He couldn't make up his mind between the two cars," the salesmen G. Washington explained, "so I told him to sign the check for a car, and let me know the next day which model he wanted. He never got back to us, but I got a call from the DMV, and they told me he had already ordered a personalised license plate (IKILLQBS) for the black SL, so we went ahead and shipped that to him. He called up afterwards to ask where the blue model was. I said we'd be happy to exchange it. He screamed 'What you talking 'bout exchanging! Where's my second car.' "

Arrington told Post reporters, "I know the deal was for two cars, cuz I remember thinking the Devil always drives that same black car in the movies, and I didn't wanna be like no devil. I had to drive the blue car on all days of the month ending in 6. No way would I be having a black car delivered on the 6th of May. It's really just that simple. I even had my agent look over the sales agreement and he said i deserved 2 cars."

Have you ever noticed that LaVar ALWAYS has a comment? An opinion for the media? And, who does he think he is questioning the defensive schemes? Pouting?

If he would do what he's supposed to do, stay away from the media and focus, I think we'd really see his true abilities. He's clearly a talented player, but his attitude and need to be in the limelight may eventually be his downfall...

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

Yeah! Mr. CAN'T GET RIGHT!!!!

So I guess you all expect players to be robots and just play football and not ever have a word to say......wow...thats really interesting. Lets not forget Lavar came out as a junior and has had 5 defensive schemes in 5 years......NFL play books are not a half page long you know......just my :2cents:

The problem here is that he is a prima-donna with the I can't except any responsiblity for something bad trait. Notice that he says that he finally understands what Lewis was trying to do but slips in there the fact that he thinks it should have been handled differently ... wink wink (like it is Lewis' fault for asking him to do something and Arrington isn't to blame for being too thick to comprehend).

I don't know what took place between them because I wasn't there. I do know that players were outright vocal when Marty didn't explain things to them. This was never a public claim regarding Marvin Lewis. They just thought that he was asking them to do things that they were well suited to do or that his scheme was too difficult. There never seemed to be a conceptual gap between Coach Lewis and the players though.

Originally posted by smashmowf

So I guess you all expect players to be robots and just play football and not ever have a word to say......wow...thats really interesting. Lets not forget Lavar came out as a junior and has had 5 defensive schemes in 5 years......NFL play books are not a half page long you know......just my :2cents:

robot players is a terrific idea whose time has come. i like the way you think

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch May 7, 2004

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775317731&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

CAR AND DRIVER: Being one of the last to leave Redskin Park can be an interesting experience. Last summer, during training camp, a young woman came into the Redskin Park building long after the players, coaches and staff had departed.

As usual in that situation, she came into the media workroom.

"I'm looking for LaVar Arrington," she said.

Arrington is the Redskins' star linebacker.

Not here, she was told. Is there a message?

"I need to leave this Mercedes for him," she said.

THAT’S IT!!!!

I am sending my caddy to Rock. I shall be in the trunk however.

;)

Blondie

Originally posted by riggo-toni

In related news, Arrington is now suing the Mercedes dealer, claiming they offered to sell him 2 Mercedes (a blue one and a black one) for the price of one. Although Arrington signed a sales sheet for the black SL model, he insists the salesman offered to throw in a blue SL as well in order to make the deal. The dealership disputes Lavar's claim. He couldn't make up his mind between the two cars," the salesmen G. Washington explained, "so I told him to sign the check for a car, and let me know the next day which model he wanted. He never got back to us, but I got a call from the DMV, and they told me he had already ordered a personalised license plate (IKILLQBS) for the black SL, so we went ahead and shipped that to him. He called up afterwards to ask where the blue model was. I said we'd be happy to exchange it. He screamed 'What you talking 'bout exchanging! Where's my second car.' "

Arrington told Post reporters, "I know the deal was for two cars, cuz I remember thinking the Devil always drives that same black car in the movies, and I didn't wanna be like no devil. I had to drive the blue car on all days of the month ending in 6. No way would I be having a black car delivered on the 6th of May. It's really just that simple. I even had my agent look over the sales agreement and he said i deserved 2 cars."

I almost bought this story until the last paragraph...

Originally posted by smashmowf

And has Mr. Arrington ever lived up to his TRUE potential throughout all of those defensive schemes? Nope. Not IMHO.

Originally posted by Sanders 83

I think you guys should treat Lavar with a little more respect. I am pretty amazed by some of the comments in this thread.

Why should he deserve my respect? He makes heaps of money and points fingers at the very organization for which he plays. An organization that did nothing wrong, yet he still can't get that through his thick head and still complained about the 6.5 million. He talks to the media, after losses, about how he and the team need to do this and that and how they'll be ready and sure enough, although he makes a few great plays, he jumps over the line more than once in a game trying to anticipate a QB cadance instead of showing a little discipline.

Most of what comes out of his mouth never seems to completely translate to the field on game days. Sure, we see flashes of brilliance. But he could do a lot less talking and a WHOLE hell of a lot more walking.

LaVar's got to shut up and put up this year for me. I'm tired of the talk. It seems that Gibbs is rubbing everyone the right way and I'm hoping that Arrington and the rest of the team FINALLY, FINALLY GET IT!

:dallasuck

Remember the days when players just played ball for their team and there wasn't all this extra stuff. Comments he likes this he dislikes that. They are millionaires because of football. Respect the game and understand you are where you are because of all those players that came before you. Just play ball.:puke:

Archived