QB's for Hire-CBS.sportsline

Renegade7

Some notable quarterbacks to be passed around

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7295458

Jay Glazer April 30, 2004

By Jay Glazer

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Jay your opinion!

Usually during the weeks following an NFL Draft, news is hard to come by, at least until the June 1 cuts roll around. But this year a strange phenomenon occurred. A legitimate news subject broke out shortly before, during and right after the weekend.

Call it the NFL's arms race. Dealers are in full swing.

In the past seven days, several quarterbacks have been let go or have been discussed as potential waiver victims. Oddly, we aren't talking about those on the scrub category of the NFL food chain. These are quarterbacks with a sensational collective pedigree -- guys with Pro Bowl and Super Bowl experience, and even a guy with the letters MVP before his name.

For some reason, the NFL's quarterbacks are on the move in late April and early May. Who? Why? Where? Let's take a look at who is in the news, why and what might be in store for a few of these arms for hire as the smoke of the draft continues to clear.

Kerry Collins

Of all the quarterbacks who have hit or will hit the open market, Collins is the crème de la crème. Giants players love the veteran signal caller and have privately voiced their outrage over his exodus. Veterans are in an uproar over his release, feeling the team should have kept him regardless of cap number to let Eli Manning learn from him for a year.

The players feel with Manning starting out of the blocks rather than Collins, the Giants will resemble an expansion team for at least a year. Guys like Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan, Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard don't have three or four years to wait for Manning's star to shine.

When given a good offensive line and time to function, Collins remains one of the better passers in the league. A team such as Arizona, Oakland, San Diego or San Francisco could truly use his talents. The Niners and Cowboys have already said they aren't interested. The Dolphins and Packers were approached by the Giants about a trade but neither wanted to venture down Collins' road.

Kurt Warner

The revelation by his agent last week that Warner's days in St. Louis are numbered became huge news. Then, the obligatory stories linking him to team after team cropped up throughout the league.

Three years ago, he had a terrific year, throwing for 4,840 yards, the highest total of his career. Warner has the pedigree but has struggled through injuries the past two seasons, throwing for just four touchdowns and an alarming 12 interceptions. He has also shown fumbling problems. He was sacked six times and fumbled six times during his one start this past season.

Damon Huard

Huard would be a steal for any team that signs him. He's not the biggest or fastest guy in the world, but he is one of the smarter quarterbacks in the league. In fact, he was given the game ball by the Patriots for their victory over the Indianapolis Colts in last season's AFC Championship Game.

According to several of his Patriots teammates, Huard mimicked Peyton Manning to perfection for the scout team in practice before that game. Patriots players couldn't applaud Huard enough. Both sides of the ball insisted Huard picked up every little nuance Manning portrays on the field, making the defensive players feel as if they already knew everything Manning was going to throw at them in the game.

Huard has met with the Falcons and Giants recently and met with the Chiefs on Friday.

Vinny Testaverde

Vinny from Long Island is one of the better tutorial candidates on the open market. He will not be with the Jets, but he has been linked to the Giants. Vinny has been around so long, one could be tempted to look up his AFL stats (and we don't mean the Arena Football League).

But despite his age, he still has an above-average arm. Opposing players say he actually played pretty well for the injured Chad Pennington and showed he has some bark left in him.

Neil O'Donnell

Yup, he's still going. Like Testaverde, O'Donnell has been linked to the Giants, the team closest to where he grew up. O'Donnell started one game last year, on basically zero notice, and passed for a 102.7 quarterback rating in that game. He has started just three games this millennium. He is viewed, like Testaverde, as a solid tutor and stopgap, if necessary.

Unlike some of the young QBs, his brain will never get in the way of a team's success on offense.

Tim Couch

Does it really matter who backs up Brett Favre? The man doesn't miss any games anyway. Couch has been in talks with the Packers and now he reportedly has interest from the Bears.

Perhaps all Couch needs is a new lease on his NFL life. The demons that go along with being the No. 1 overall pick have consumed many an NFLer. Couch got caught up in a situation that continued to worsen. With a new environment, perhaps the light bulb goes on and he begins to light it up.

Jeff Blake

Blake is a serviceable starter but probably not the best option for a team looking for a good tutor for a young man. Blake has often viewed his fellow QBs as competition, not as pupils. However, he has made a nice living on being a gun for hire.

Rich Gannon

The Raiders still have not commented about his status with the team this year. Gannon had made it known earlier he would only play for an exorbitant sum, but who's to say his shoulder returns to full strength. There remains a chance he will be released after June 1, especially if he refuses to either restructure his contract or reduce his salary.

Gannon last season showed dramatic signs of age. The season before, however, was his best as a pro. Which Gannon shows up to which camp this year remains to be seen.

Tommy Maddox

Maddox, like Collins, was rendered a lame duck when his team used its first-round pick on a QB of the future. The team has refused to redo his deal over the past couple of years, and if he remains with the team, he will make significantly less than his backup.

Maddox was a terrific feel-good story after recovering from NFL banishment and then a scary neck injury. If given a consistent and healthy offensive line and a solid running game, he has shown he can be a very effective option.

Others

Kurt Kittner, Chris Redman, Jeff George.

Redman, like Huard, had a workout for Atlanta recently. He had his chance but has failed to show any significance as a starter. He could be serviceable if put in the right system with the right coach.

And, yes, that Jeff George. The former No. 1 pick has been in contact with several teams since February's scouting combine trying to catch on as a backup or No. 3. George has been working out for months, throwing several times a week.

He probably still has a rocket of an arm and could help a youngster trying to learn the pro game. George admits he has an image problem to overcome, but he insists anyone who signs him will be getting a good soldier and a tremendous arm for hire.

"I've been in touch with a handful of teams," George said this week during a phone conversation. "I just want that shot. I can really help a team, even in a No. 3 role. I know the game, and I'd love to assist a team in helping out a young guy."

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

I glad we got Brunell early. I don't want anything to do with this lot.

Exactly what I was hoping to here. :cheers:

Anyone still steamed that we gave up a third rounder?

Actually, anyone interested in Damon Huard? He'd make a nice #3 ya know. ;)

Originally posted by Renegade7

Some notable quarterbacks to be passed around

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7295458

Jay Glazer April 30, 2004

By Jay Glazer

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Jay your opinion!

Damon Huard

According to several of his Patriots teammates, Huard mimicked Peyton Manning to perfection for the scout team in practice before that game. Patriots players couldn't applaud Huard enough. Both sides of the ball insisted Huard picked up every little nuance Manning portrays on the field, making the defensive players feel as if they already knew everything Manning was going to throw at them in the game.

That's the most ridiculous reason EVER to choose Huard as a QB. He was good at pretending to be Peyton Manning in practice! AWESOME!

He's to Peyton Manning what Tyronn Lue is to Allen Iverson. That worked out well for the Wizards. :laugh:

Originally posted by chosen

That's the most ridiculous reason EVER to choose Huard as a QB. He was good at pretending to be Peyton Manning in practice! AWESOME!

He's to Peyton Manning what Tyronn Lue is to Allen Iverson. That worked out well for the Wizards. :laugh:

Tru, but looking like Manning is "decent" step up from Hasselback and Hamdan ya know. ;)

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

I would take Huard over Tim (o.o qb rating) Hasselbeck any day of the week.

Yeah, but neither of them would see the field this season anyway, so it doesn't matter, right? :)

Besides, I hear Tim has an exceptionally steady hand holding the clipboard on the sideline. Much better than Huard.

Yeah, but neither of them would see the field this season anyway, so it doesn't matter, right? :)

If you could ask the Broncos that same question last year, I promise you that they could give you a better answer then I ever could.;)

If you could ask the Broncos that same question last year, I promise you that they could give you a better answer then I ever could.;)

Touche, but obviously it's not worth the money to change it up... he's gonna want backup money (as opposed to third string money).

Besides... "JOE GIBBS, JOE GIBBS, JOE GIBBS!"

Okay, I win the argument, right? :D

Touche, but obviously it's not worth the money to change it up... he's gonna want backup money (as opposed to third string money).

Besides... "JOE GIBBS, JOE GIBBS, JOE GIBBS!"

Okay, I win the argument, right? :D

No. This one goes to me. :D

But bringing up Gibbs does make you look good in a way. Gibbs has always been known for having as many QBs that could play as possible. Every QB he had, whether it was the starter or the thrid stringer, he was confident he could put them in the game and everything would be swell as usual.

Now, the question is: how are you more confident having as a third stringer? Hasselback or Huard?

It's all good anyways. :cheers: But what's the difference between back-up and third-stringer money? You gotta help me out with that one man.

No. This one goes to me. :D

But bringing up Gibbs does make you look good in a way. Gibbs has always been known for having as many QBs that could play as possible. Every QB he had, whether it was the starter or the thrid stringer, he was confident he could put them in the game and everything would be swell as usual.

Now, the question is: how are you more confident having as a third stringer? Hasselback or Huard?

It's all good anyways. :cheers: But what's the difference between back-up and third-stringer money? You gotta help me out with that one man.

Well, to give you an idea... Damon Huard made $704,700 last year with a cap charge of $829,700. Hasselback is scheduled to make $380,000 this year with the same cap charge. I think we can assume the difference to be roughly 400 to 500k generally between them based on last year's numbers. This is a good starting point for the difference between third stringer money and backup money. Obviously this is the bottom, and it only gets higher as the quality of the backup gets better.

Specifically with Huard this year, though... assuming the interest he's getting from the Giants, amongst other teams, I think it's safe to assume he'll make at least 1 million per season over 2 seasons since he might be offered a chance to start. That's a pretty big difference against the cap for Huard.. we're taking 400k to possible 750k(conservative estimate), not to mention that assuming we can entice him to come here, it'll probably cost us more to make him take a third string role.

We're roughly 2.5 million under the cap without signing any draft picks, right?

You still think you'd prefer Huard? for an extra 400k to 750k+?

Well, to give you an idea... Damon Huard made $704,700 last year with a cap charge of $829,700. Hasselback is scheduled to make $380,000 this year with the same cap charge. I think we can assume the difference to be roughly 400 to 500k generally between them based on last year's numbers.

Specifically with Huard this year, though... assuming the interest he's getting from the Giants, amongst other teams, I think it's safe to assume he'll make at least 1 million per season over 2 seasons since he might be offered a chance to start. That's a pretty big difference against the cap for Huard.. we're taking 400k to possible 750k(conservative estimate), not to mention that assuming we can entice him to come here, it'll probably cost us more to make him take a third string role.

We're roughly 2.5 million under the cap without signing any draft picks, right?

You still think you'd prefer Huard? for an extra 400k to 750k+?

If we can afford him, ya, I'd love to have him. But it doesn't matter now. NFL.com says that the Pats have him. Oh well, thanks. :)

If we can afford him, ya, I'd love to have him. But it doesn't matter now. NFL.com says that the Pats have him. Oh well, thanks. :)

YW. You actually made me go look that up to prove my point... thank YOU for the enlightenment, I guess. :)

YW. You actually made me go look that up to prove my point... thank YOU for the enlightenment, I guess. :)

No prob. You're very welcome. :cool: Any other QBs from the list you like? Call me insane, but if Warner took a vets minimum or something I'd get him. :D

No prob. You're very welcome. :cool: Any other QBs from the list you like? Call me insane, but if Warner took a vets minimum or something I'd get him. :D

Ugh.. man, I'd really like to root for Warner, but I made the mistake of drafting him two season in a row in fantasy football. He's been atrocious. There's something really wrong with his head and his hand... He doesn't look anything like the same player. It's pretty sad. I dunno, maybe sitting on the sideline for a season might heal his concussed brain (personally, I think it might be his wife that screwed up his head... in that case, he's SOL!).

Out of that list, I like Tommy Maddox the best by a ton... but there's not way he'll come here to be a third stringer. We need a guy who'll embrace is clipboard carrying role.

Actually imitating Manning before the game gives Actual 3d reference points for the defense to key on. Demonstrators are much much better than film or playbooks... If Huard did his research and helped the defense then for that game he was fantastic motivational material.

Ugh.. man, I'd really like to root for Warner, but I made the mistake of drafting him two season in a row in fantasy football. He's been atrocious. There's something really wrong with his head and his hand... He doesn't look anything like the same player. It's pretty sad. I dunno, maybe sitting on the sideline for a season might heal his concussed brain (personally, I think it might be his wife that screwed up his head... in that case, he's SOL!).

Out of that list, I like Tommy Maddox the best by a ton... but there's not way he'll come here to be a third stringer. We need a guy who'll embrace is clipboard carrying role.

Nice. :cheers: Lets get both. :laugh: J/K

Archived