Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton on ESPNews says.........

TC4

See, a lot of you guys said the same stuff last year and the season before that and the season before that... About how this year was different for whatever the reason. It's a pattern, and the same stuff is being said again. Some are hoping for 8-8, but that's not going to cut it at all for Wash. The Skins are made to win somethin within a 2, maybe 3 year period tops....

Lets hope Clayton is right. For me its more hope than hype. Gibbs brought the hope, the media brings the hype.

Yeah, I'm also hopeful we can make it into the playoffs sometime this mellinium. Considering our last playoff appearence was last mellinium. While not 1000 years ago, it sure feels that way at times.

As a sports fan I shot for the top every year with every sport I enjoy. Maybe I'm a fool but what serious sports fan isnt? I like the Lakers, Redskins, Reds, USC Football, Duke Basketball and every year I'm shoting for Championships. USC did well, Duke got close, the Lakers are still playing. In any sport we dont know who will win the championship. Who can say they thought the Patriots were going to win the Superbowl after losing to the Bills and Redskins? The way the Skins have performed the last few years they should be very hungry to kick some butt. Whose to say with some coaching and direction it wont be us? The Ravens won in a year they went a whole month without scoring a touchdown. When you break the Skins down at this point I dont see any areas of conern. Maybe DLine if Noble doesn't come back and we dont do anything after June 1. We have good players and we have a coach that has won more championships then any other active coach.

I definitely have more faith in this coaching staff than I ever had in any of the previous (past decade). With the others, there was hype but there was also a lot of questions, especially Spurrier. Especially last year, losing Marvin and going with an inexperienced staff. Marty and his conservative approach that many Chiefs and Browns fans warned us about. With Gibbs and this staff there really aren't any questions except the out of football for a decade. But he also brought in guys that have been active, that are considered the best in the game. We have coordinators that were head coaches, assistants that were coordinators. I have no doubts about the coaching staff.

It's the players that I still have some doubt about. Will LaVar finally live up to the hype. Will the back seven be able to survive the loss of Champ. Will Samuels revert to pro-bowl form or be a weakness. Will the line remember a snap count. Will Nobel be able to come back from injury. I'm excited but also the players on this team have a lot to show me. Maybe bringing in the new blood will aleviate the losing attitude.

Every year it's the same thing..."Oh, the Redskins should challenge for the NFC East title"..etc. I'll believe it when I see it. I"ve seen so many teams the last 12 years suck and underachieve that I don't get too hyped for it anymore.

The mood does feel a bit different this year, though, for everyone, as Master Gibbs is back in the hizzity. I definately think the team is upgraded a ton from last year, but they still need to show it come September...

I'm cautiously optimistic...But I do know one thing...

DALLAS SUCKS!!!!

If you're a Skins fan and you're not optimistic about this season...you are dead. Stone dead. Did we have hype before? Yes. Did we have Gibbs before? Did we have one of the top young RB's in all football before? No. C'mon people...it's ok to be excited....very very very excited.

To me its not a question of faith, but more of a question of time. I'm trying not to get to excited about this year's possablities, because I know that its going to take a few weeks, for everything to really start to click. And when everything starts to click, the Skins will be force to reckon with. But that maybe already too late for this season, and we will have to wait anouther off season.

Excited? absolutely, but admit it, in the back of your mind, there is a little doubt. I agree with, put up or shut up. Gibbs is absolutely the man, and if we ever had a better chance in the last 12 years, it was only when he was the man before.

The wait is going to kill me.

I'm on the wait and see side of the fence.

I just have had too many letdowns over the past oooooh 8 years or so, to believe it till I see it.

While optimistic (i think 7-8 games is pretty much the minimum the Skins will win) I don't want to get excited yet.

I remember what the bad taste the last game left in my mouth from last year.

Let me bring us down to earth for a moment if I may. Gibbs is great, there's no doubting that, but there is reason to doubt that he's simply going to step right in and win from day 1. I frankly don't think so.

To my way of thinking, Gibbs' Redskins had three different years during his tenure that involved significant personnel changeovers:

1981 (his first season)

1985 (George Rogers replaces Riggins; Schroeder replaces Theisman; new WR's); and

1989 (Rypien starts; Riggs & Byner take over as RB's)

We failed to reach the playoffs all three seasons, and we started those seasons with the following records:

1981: 0-5

1985: 1-3; 3-4; 5-5

1989: 0-2; 3-3; 4-5; 5-6

And remember, Gibbs first off all hadn't been out of football for a dozen years in any of those years, and in the last two was a highly successful incumbent coach with veterans experienced in his system (particularly on O-line) to build around.

The truth is that while I expect far better play and certainly more wins, we'll be very lucky if we make the playoffs.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

We will get the same thing the Cowgirls got when they signed Parcells. A well coached team that wont beat itself and comes to play every down. Accountability, heart, and character some things that haven't been seen around here lately. We have had personnel for the last 5 years but no leadership.:coach: Gibbs is worth 3 more wins just on GP. You give him Portis, Brunnel, Taylor, and the rest of our players and we got action.:thumbsup: It aint hype it's a fact Snyder got it right this time now it's too bad we have to wait so damn long for the season to start: :cloud9:

my point as well! also think about the talent that we now have

as opposed to last year alone with the expierence of the coaching staff this team can not fail, add to the Home games at FED EX Field how that place will be rocking..

Archived