Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kerry v Cheney on Military Cuts

Destino

Being that the vast liberal media conspiracy has done nothing but report the charges Bush's campaign is lobbing at Kerry I had to do a little digging to find Kerry's response......

To: National Desk

Contact: Chad Clanton or Phil Singer, 202-712-3000, both of John Kerry for President

WASHINGTON, April 26 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Kerry Campaign Spokesperson Chad Clanton issued the following statement today in response to the new, misleading attack ad being run by Bush/Cheney 04:

"George W. Bush and Dick Cheney are trying to tear down John Kerry, a decorated war hero, with their misleading ad campaign. Not only are these attacks false, Cheney himself tried to cut many of the same weapons systems that the Bush campaign is now attacking John Kerry on. Bush and Cheney are the ones who sent our military to Iraq without basic equipment like body armor and with no plan for bringing the troops home. It's time for Bush and Cheney to stop misleading and start telling the truth."

THE FACTS:

I. THE FACTS ABOUT CHENEY'S CUTS TO KEY MILITARY PROGRAMS

Cheney Proposed Cutting Weapons Programs That Were Important to Success in Iraq. In 1990, Cheney proposed cutting 90 C-17 Air Force cargo transport planes and 14 B-52 bombers. Cheney also sought the retirement of two Navy battleships, two nuclear cruisers, and eight nuclear-powered attack submarines. In 1991, Cheney scrapped the Navy's A-12 Stealth attack plane, a fighter that was proclaimed to be a key part of the future of navy aviation in advanced stealth technology. (Newday, 2/5/91; NY Times, 1/8/91; Boston Globe, 4/27/90; Boston Globe, 1/30/90)

C-17s and B-52s Vital to Operation Iraqi Freedom. According to Defense Daily, "From January through mid-April C-17s in the Central Command's Middle East theater of operations conducted 2,600 missions, carrying more than 23,000 personnel, and more than 73 million pounds of cargo." An analysis by Anthony Cordesman at the Center for Strategic and International Studies showed that the Air Force B-1, B-2, and B-52 bombers dropped nearly two-thirds of the total bombs in the war. (Defense Daily, 5/21/03; Copley News Service, 7/3/03)

Cheney Cut Thousands of Active-Duty, Reserve, and Civilian Forces. In January 1990, Cheney banned the hiring of any new civilian personnel in the Defense Department through the end of September, which left more than 65,000 jobs vacant. Under the budget proposed in 1990, the Pentagon would have reduced active military personnel by 38,000; selected reserves would have fallen by 3,000. The budget called for the deactivation of two Army divisions. Long range, the Pentagon planned to reduce its work force by 300,000, including about 200,000 military personnel and 100,000 civilians. In 1991, he called for reduction of 200,000 active and reserve military personnel over two years. In 1992, Cheney called for cutting 500,000 active-duty people, 200,000 reservists, and 200,000 civilians over five years. (Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 2/2/92; Chicago Tribune, 2/20/91; 1990 CQ Almanac, p. 672; Washington Post, 1/13/90; Boston Globe, 1/30/90)

Reserves Being Used at "Unprecedented Rate" in Iraq. National guardsmen and reservists will soon make up 40 percent of the total U.S. force in Iraq. Reservists are being used at "unprecedented rate," according to Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, chief of the Army National Guard. Tasked with homeland security missions and combat rotations in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of the part- time soldiers mobilized in the first days after September 11 have yet to be deactivated. An internal Army National Guard survey of 5,000 soldiers in 15 states recently presented a disturbing forecast: The rate at which Army Guard members leave the force after extended deployments could nearly double to 22 percent. (U.S. News & World Report, 2/9/04; Chicago Tribune, 2/9/04)

II. THE TRUTH ABOUT KERRY AND CHENEY RECORDS

Kerry is a Strong Supporter of America's Military; Has Supported More Than $4.4 Trillion in Defense Spending & Voted for "Largest Increase in Defense Spending Since the Early 1980's. He has support 16 of the 19 defense authorization bills since elected to the Senate. John Kerry is a strong supporter of the U.S. Armed Services and has consistently worked to ensure the military has the best equipment and training possible. In 2002, John Kerry voted for a large increase in the defense budget. This increase provided more than $355 billion for the Defense Department for 2003, an increase of $21 billion over 2002. This measure includes $71.5 billion for procurement programs such as $4 billion for the Air Force's F-22 fighter jets, $3.5 billion for the Joint Strike Fighter and $279.3 million for an E-8C Joint Stars (JSTARS) aircraft. Kerry's vote also funded a 4.1 percent pay increase for military personnel, $160 million for the B-1 Bomber Defense System Upgrade, $1.5 billion for a new attack submarine, more than $630 million for Army and Navy variants of the Blackhawk helicopter, $3.2 billion for additional C-17 transports, $900 million for R&D of the Comanche helicopter and more than $800 million for Trident Submarine conversion. The current chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, John Warner (R-VA) stated: "The defense spending increase for FY03 is the largest increase in defense spending since the early 1980's- reflecting the importance of defending the homeland and winning the global war against terrorism" (2002, Senate Roll Call Vote no. 239; Websites of U.S. Senators Warner, Daschle, Dodd accessed 7/25/03)

A CLOSER LOOK AT THE PROGRAMS JOHN KERRY IS BEING ATTACKED ON:

APACHE HELICOPTER: The Kerry Record

Kerry has supported $13 billion in defense authorizations for the Apache

THE CHENEY RECORD: Terminate The Apache; According to the RNC, AH-64 Apache Helicopters Were Crucial to Operation Iraqi Freedom.In testimony before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, Cheney said, "This is just a list of some of the programs that I've recommended termination: the V-22 Osprey, the F-14D, the Army Helicopter Improvement Program, Phoenix missile, F-15E, the Apache helicopter, the M1 tank, et cetera." In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "The Army, as I indicated in my earlier testimony, recommended to me that we keep a robust Apache helicopter program going forward, AH-64...I forced the Army to make choices...So I recommended that we cancel the AH-64 program two years out." (Cheney testimony, Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, 6/12/90; Cheney Testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 7/13/89; Kerry's Military: As He Would Like It," 7/18/03)

AEGIS SHIPS: The Kerry Record

Kerry has supported at least $53 billion defense authorizations for the Aegis program

THE CHENEY RECORD: Cheney Cut Program, Costing Jobs. Cheney plan cut 9 of original 25 ships planned, putting shipyard in jeopardy (States News Service, 8/14/90; Aviation Week and Space Technology, 9/24/90)

BRADLEY FIGHTING VEHICLES: The Kerry Record

Kerry has supported at least $8.5 billion in defense authorizations for the Bradley program

THE CHENEY RECORD: Bush-Cheney Budget Terminated The Bradley. "Major weapons killed include the Army's M-2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, the Navy's Trident submarine and F-14 aircraft, and the Air Force's F-16 airplane. Cheney decided the military already has enough of these weapons." (Boston Globe, 2/5/91)

BLACKHAWK HELICPTERS: The Kerry Record

Kerry has supported at least $13 billion in defense authorizations on versions of the Blackhawk.

THE CHENEY RECORD: Terminate The Black Hawk. The Pentagon's internal budget deliberations recommended termination of the Black Hawk program under Secretary Cheney." (Aerospace Daily, 5/15/90)

B-2 BOMBER: The Kerry Record

Kerry has supported over $16.7 billion in defense authorizations for the B-2 program

THE CHENEY RECORD: Cheney Proposed Cuts to B-2 Program, According to the RNC, B-2s Were Crucial to Operation Iraqi Freedom. According to the Boston Globe, in 1990, "Defense Secretary Richard Cheney announced a cutback... of nearly 45 percent in the administration's B-2 Stealth bomber program, from 132 airplanes to 75..." (Boston Globe, 4/27/90; From RNC Research Memo, "Kerry's Military: As He Would Like It," 7/18/03:

C-17 CARGO JETS: The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least $34.5 billion in defense authorizations for the C-17

THE CHENEY RECORD: Cutting C-17 Program. In 1990, Cheney proposed cutting 90 C-17 Air Force cargo transport planes (Newsday, 2/5/91; NY Times, 1/8/91; Boston Globe, 4/27/90; Boston Globe, 1/30/90)

F/A-18 FIGHTER JETS : The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least $60 billion in defense authorizations for the F/A-18 and F-18

THE CHENEY RECORD: Cutbacks Hit Industry Hard: Workers and the industry were hit hard by Cheney's decision for "major cuts" in the F/A-18 program and upgrades to the F-18 in the late 1980s (Flight International, 6/27/90; Los Angeles Times, 12/17/89; Aerospace Daily, 5/26/89; Aviation Week and Space Technology, 5/1/89)

F-16 FIGHTER JETS: The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least $25 billion in defense authorizations for the F-16.

THE CHENEY RECORD: Cheney Proposed Cutting F-16 Aircraft, According to the RNC, F-16s Were Crucial to Operation Iraqi Freedom. In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "If you're going to have a smaller air force, you don't need as many F-16s...The F-16D we basically continue to buy and close it out because we're not going to have as big a force structure and we won't need as many F-16s." According to the Boston Globe, Bush's 1991 defense budget "kill(ed) 81 programs for potential savings of $ 11.9 billion...Major weapons killed include(d)....the Air Force's F-16 airplane." (Cheney testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 2/7/91; Boston Globe, 2/5/91; From RNC Research Memo, "Kerry's Military: As He Would Like It," 7/18/03.)

TOMAHAWK MISSILES: The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least $6 billion in defense authorizations for the Tomahawk missile program.

THE CHENEY RECORD: No New Missiles Requested Even As Stocks Depleted Before Gulf War, Cutbacks Lead To Layoffs: Cheney's defense budget was so pared-down that it didn't include any funds for more Tomahawk missiles in 1991, despite stocks rapidly diminished by the military action in the Persian Gulf. Cuts in 1990 led to layoffs throughout the nation. (Washington Post, 2/5/91; Aerospace Daily, 1/23/91; AP, 6/20/90)

C-130 CARGO JETS: The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least at least $12 billion in defense authorizations for the C-130

THE CHENEY RECORD: Move Hurricane Plane Out of Dept. of Defense, Move Considered Dangerous. In 1990, Cheney pushed a potentially dangerous move by trying to shift the WC-130 Hurricane Hunter planes from the Department of Defense and into the Department of Commerce. The WC-130 is used to track Hurricanes and warn coastal residents in time to evacuate the area. In July 1990, Cheney ordered that the Air Force halt all WC-130 flights by October 1, 1990 and turn the mission to the Commerce Department. Reed Boatright, a spokesman for the Commerce Department said, "we are not in a position to accept planes either financially or infrastructure wise." According to Jerry Jarrell, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center, "It would be devastating" if the Commerce Department was unable to pick up the WC-130 after Cheney released it from Defense. Today, the WC-130 remains at Defense. (UPI, 7/11/00)

PATRIOT MISSILE SYSTEM: The Kerry Record

Kerry supported at least $10 billion in defense authorizations for the Patriot program.

SOURCES ON KERRY SPENDING: Congressional Quarterly Almanacs, 1986-2002; House Armed Service Committee Authorization Conference Report Summaries; Conference Reports for Defense Authorizations, FY1986 -- present

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=127-04262004

Originally posted by Destino

Being that the vast liberal media conspiracy has done nothing but report the charges Bush's campaign is lobbing at Kerry I had to do a little digging to find Kerry's response......

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=127-04262004

I've posted it many times, when a campaign tries to smear an opponents voting record, it's a last resort. Bush has nowhere else to go, I expect we'll start seeing "A vote for Kerry is a vote for the terorists" next.

Economy: No

Military record: No

Forign Policy: No

Domestic Policy: No

Enviornment: No

Terrorism: No

Special Interest Groups: No

Big Business: No

Tobacco: No

Budget Balancing: No

He has nowhere to attack, other than making him look like a wishy-washy politician. The release by Kerry showing Chaney's voting record shows how you can distort the truth.

Originally posted by Sarge

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that. About 2/3 of it is BS

Feel free to debunk whatever you can. It appears to be well sourced, though.

It is easier to just say "I don't believe it" then go back to newsmax.

Originally posted by Sarge

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that. About 2/3 of it is BS

proof? no? thought so.

The thing is when you make 'cheney/kerry was against ||insert weapon system|| attacks' what that usually is, is one bill they opposed. It does not take into account why they opposed the bill or if they suported said weapon system in another bill. But it seems when Sarge is faced with the tactic it's BS, but when used again democrats Sarge holds it up like a flag and marches around shouting it's praise with a blowhorn.

Originally posted by Destino

proof? no? thought so.

The thing is when you make 'cheney/kerry was against ||insert weapon system|| attacks' what that usually is, is one bill they opposed. It does not take into account why they opposed the bill or if they suported said weapon system in another bill. But it seems when Sarge is faced with the tactic it's BS, but when used again democrats Sarge holds it up like a flag and marches around shouting it's praise with a blowhorn.

It's turning out to be a busy week already, but I'll be happy to shoot down a good portion of this when I get the chance

This is draft week for politics...

Believe nothing until January 20th next year...

and then verify...

Not to be mean but who gives a crap what a "Vice President" does...

Did you notice a vice president means squat, why do you think its not important for Kerry to have one with the election 6 months away???

It's the President's record that should be put up against it...

Archived