Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our D-Line

Griff

Last night on the NFL channel, they had a replay of Dallas vs. N.Y. Giants 2001. I was watching Noble & Griffith, Noble is super slow off the ball and makes no penetration whatsoever in pass rush situations, but he was good moving laterally down the line making tackles against the run.

Griffith was very quick off the ball and makes great penetration into the backfield. Overall he look good.

Just my observation, anyone else watch it last night?

noble is a run stopping dt, which by definition means he has better lateral movement than penetration. you don't want your dt's getting upfield, they should play no deeper than a yard in the backfield, the deeper the get the bigger the cut back lanes. noble's strength is that he plays discipline and within himself, stays one yard in the back field and works down the line. now, if he can do that after his injury is a different story

As long as our DTs dont get pushed back we are fine. They should be able to hold their ground, shed blockers and make a play. If not they can just occupy blockers for our LBs to make a play.

We should not worry about the D-Line too much. If we hadnt made any upgrades the group from last year would definetly play better this year because of actual coaching. But now that we have made some upgrades in Cornelius and Phillip we should be OK.

I watched it as well and paid close attention to both guys. Griffin can be moved back some, but has much better ability to penetrate than Noble. Noble consistently drew doubes for where he was lined up and how he plays. Hardly a dominating combination, but, they do provide a nice mix.

Originally posted by Art

I watched it as well and paid close attention to both guys. Griffin can be moved back some, but has much better ability to penetrate than Noble. Noble consistently drew doubes for where he was lined up and how he plays. Hardly a dominating combination, but, they do provide a nice mix.

Art, did you see Noble's fumble recovery, he was kind of blocked right into the ball...

Yeah. Kind of a lucky thing. He was going against a double team and stayed along the line at the snap, then came in late over the guard and the ball dropped and bounced into his arms. Good awareness considering he had a guy on him and good hands for a lineman.

Originally posted by Art

Healthy they would be a nice mix. Although both are listed as LDT's, I think that Griffin could move over to RDT. and If we had a LDE like Udeze that could take advantage of the double from Noble, we could have a good line next year.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Healthy they would be a nice mix. Although both are listed as LDT's, I think that Griffin could move over to RDT. and If we had a LDE like Udeze that could take advantage of the double from Noble, we could have a good line next year.

Noble is generally a nose tackle. In 2001 he played right defensive tackle but aligned on the nose. With Glover though he played on the left side, but, mostly on the nose. Griffin played the left side throughout. Noble is a guy who can go to either side because his role is substantially different than many tackles. His job is to align between two blockers and force them to deal with him. At least it has been. What it will be I don't know.

I'm not as sold on Udeze as I probably should be. I think Smith is the option that best fits what sort of defense Williams runs. Smith has a bit more edge speed than Udeze and may be the type of end who can provide the sort of upfield edge rush he wants a bit better. Of course, Washington will be doing a ton of that as well, so, I think Williams has some comfort with the outside rush position.

I compare the real world w/ Madden...

And Philip Daniels has been generating consistent pressure off the corner, even on 3-4. He gets 1-2 sacks/game. Both Griffin and Noble hold the center of the line, and w/ Lavar crashing the weakside now, the run D holds up relatively well.

Of course, w/ Sean Taylor in my secondary, this defense is pretty solid!

Originally posted by Art

I'm not as sold on Udeze as I probably should be. I think Smith is the option that best fits what sort of defense Williams runs. Smith has a bit more edge speed than Udeze and may be the type of end who can provide the sort of upfield edge rush he wants a bit better. Of course, Washington will be doing a ton of that as well, so, I think Williams has some comfort with the outside rush position.

If Williams would have installed a 3-4 defense, I think that Smith would have been a better choice but Udeze is a "truer" DE than Smith is. smith is going to excel in someones 3-4 scheme as a OLB/DE due to his ahtletic ability and quickness.

Now my question would be, if Washington is applying pressue from the SSLB position, is he generally coming off of the LDE or the RDE side?

Originally posted by Oldskool

If Williams would have installed a 3-4 defense, I think that Smith would have been a better choice but Udeze is a "truer" DE than Smith is. smith is going to excel in someones 3-4 scheme as a OLB/DE due to his ahtletic ability and quickness.

Now my question would be, if Washington is applying pressue from the SSLB position, is he generally coming off of the LDE or the RDE side?

Actually, this is not what I've seen at all. I've seen several assessments that suggest Udeze may end up as a good, true 3-4 end. The kind of guy who's big enough to take an interior pounding a little more. I'm not sure I've seen that said of Smith at all, unless you think Smith would be an outside backer sort in a 3-4. I think Smith is the type of player who fits a 4-3 better than Udeze because of his speed and relatively good size he's up to.

Udeze is a converted defensive tackle who may well end up playing at 300 or so pounds as a solid 3-4 end.

Originally posted by Art

Actually, this is not what I've seen at all. I've seen several assessments that suggest Udeze may end up as a good, true 3-4 end. The kind of guy who's big enough to take an interior pounding a little more. I'm not sure I've seen that said of Smith at all, unless you think Smith would be an outside backer sort in a 3-4. I think Smith is the type of player who fits a 4-3 better than Udeze because of his speed and relatively good size he's up to.

Udeze is a converted defensive tackle who may well end up playing at 300 or so pounds as a solid 3-4 end.

From what ive seen, Smith plays better in space than Udeze does, as demonstrated by the amount of passes defended he has in his career. Both are of similar stature and frame and I think that the only thing that separates them is their playing style. Smith already plays like a OLB/DE in a 3-4 scheme where as Udeze has been playing strictly DE in Pete Carrol’s 4-3 defense for 3 years now.

As for Udeze’s weight, I don’t think the kid is going to balloon up at all. He’s at 284lbs with 10% body fat now and still hasn’t grown into his adult frame yet. I think with the proper nutrition and the NFL regiment, he can remain about the same weight but have less body fat and more muscle.

I'm sorry but this is the same Brandon Noble who was ran over twice by Duce Staley in 2001 for 200 yards in each game right?

This is the same Brandon Noble who was the lench pin in that Cowboys front 4 that was the worse against the run in 2001 right?

This is the same Brandon Noble who Stephen Davis was running through in that preseason game last year right? In that same game he hurt himself and hasn't been seen since.

Brandon Noble is terrible. He was terrible for the most part with Dallas and there is no reason to think he won't be here.

Archived