Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another Way To Gain A Pick

Bozman777

I was looking at mock drafts today and realized that Buffalo and Pittsburgh need QB's in a bad way. What if we drafted a QB with our #5 pick and tried to trade either Philip Rivers or Ben Roethiwhathisname. Buffalo has the 13th and 43rd overall picks and Pitt has the11th and 44th overall picks. We could still get a quality DL there and gain a early second rounder. Not much happening around here, I guess I am bored. Is there a rule that prohibits trading draft day players? Just a thought....Boz..:D

The problem with drafting a player and trying to trade the player is one of choice.

It's like trying to put new carpeting in a house that you intend to sell. As soon as you pick the color, you've eliminated every potential buyer who doesn't like that color. .

If we pick Rothschmumble, then everybody who was thinking about trading up to #5 to get KW2 leaves the auction we're trying to set up.

In the end I hope that the Redskins do move down and pick up th extra picks to stock the DL and some other spot(s) as well.

it is attractive to think of adding Taylor or Winslow, but neither plays a position where a $10 million bonus is really warranted on this team.

the Redskins will be a playoff contender in 2004 if we can shore up the DL between now and the opener.

we have solid enough talent elsewhere.

If that was our intent, we would simply trade draft picks with the team in question so that they can draft Rothlisberger or Rivers. There would be no need to actually pick that player and then trade them. I'm not sure if that is legal or not, but in any case it does not make sense to got through all of that when the pick is what's important. This is one of the the options that has been discussed at great lenght here on the board, and is usually reffered to simply as "trading down". Do a quick search and you should find a ton of stuff on the topic.

Originally posted by feeshta

If that was our intent, we would simply trade draft picks with the team in question so that they can draft Rothlisberger or Rivers. There would be no need to actually pick that player and then trade them. I'm not sure if that is legal or not, but in any case it does not make sense to got through all of that when the pick is what's important. This is one of the the options that has been discussed at great lenght here on the board, and is usually reffered to simply as "trading down". Do a quick search and you should find a ton of stuff on the topic.

I completely understand what trading down means.. My point is drafting a player someone else covets and forcing their hand. There is no quarantee that these 2 QB's will be around when Pitt and Buff pick. It would totally screw their plans if we drafted Rivers.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

The Skins are not in the business to screw another team's draft. If we drafted Rivers and Pittsburgh balked at our asking price, the Skins could wind up screwed with three QB's on the roster -- Brunell, Ramsey and Rivers. :laugh:

Screwed?.. How long will Brunell stay healthy?.. I agree Rivers is not a #3 Qb but it wouldnt piss me off to see this guy on roster. I have watched him play 5 times personally and this guy is gonna be special. I realize this isnt our greatest need. I was simply looking at options to gain picks and improve our DL.

Originally posted by Bozman777

Screwed?.. How long will Brunell stay healthy?.. I agree Rivers is not a #3 Qb but it wouldnt piss me off to see this guy on roster. I have watched him play 5 times personally and this guy is gonna be special. I realize this isnt our greatest need. I was simply looking at options to gain picks and improve our DL.

Yeah, screwed. If we drafted Rivers at #5 and got stuck with him, we would have to pay him a $10-13 million signing bonus.

With other more important needs, I would consider that screwed. :laugh:

Yeah, screwed. If we drafted Rivers at #5 and got stuck with him, we would have to pay him a $10-13 million signing bonus.

With other more important needs, I would consider that screwed. :laugh:

Inmate, Watch where Rivers goes on draft day. I agree that drafting Rivers is a total risk to gain picks. If we drafted Rivers would u be opposed to trading Ramsey? Chill out man, I was trying to figure out how to gain an extra pick not who was gettin screwed!

The way to get the best price for the #5 pick is for other teams not to know what we really want or to know what the teams picking after us but before them will do. If we narrow in on one player - say Rivers - then the teams looking for Taylor won't talk to us, they'll talk to detroit. Better for the people who want Taylor to think we might really take him, and for the people who want Winslow to think we really might take him and so on for all the other guys that are must have players. With Eli, Ben, Gallery, Fitzgerald, all the Williams wr's, Taylor and Winslow - there are going to be plenty of guys people really want to have available at the #5 spot. We do the best when we make all these teams compete with each other for the guy they want. Even knowing detroit wouldn't draft a qb doesn't hurt us because we know they'll be willing to trade down. MY BOLD PREDICTION - we will trade down, but not until about the 14th minute of our choice on draft day. The more confusion about who the Skins like between now and then the better for us. See tonight's WT article about the Skins bringing in about a dozen players over the next two weeks before the draft. That's about making sure nobody knows what we're going to do AND us being able to know who we want if we do trade down or stay at #5. I doubt we'll decide until the last moment.

Originally posted by Bozman777

Inmate, Watch where Rivers goes on draft day. I agree that drafting Rivers is a total risk to gain picks. If we drafted Rivers would u be opposed to trading Ramsey? Chill out man, I was trying to figure out how to gain an extra pick not who was gettin screwed!

If you are trying to figure out how to obtain an extra pick, its really simple. Just trade down. :laugh:

If you are trying to figure out how to obtain an extra pick, its really simple. Just trade down. :laugh:

Read the title. Another way to gain a pick. Not only an extra pick but a high second rounder.

Archived