Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Rumors:Can Mike Williams run a 4.4??

Lavarleap56

DRAFT RUMORS: Can Mike Williams run a 4.4?

Print story AIM story Email story

Brian DeLucia / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 hour ago

Here are some of the latest rumblings making the rounds in NFL circles a month before the NFL Draft kicks off on April 24 in New York City.

The mystery man of the 2004 NFL Draft may be 6-foot-5 USC wide receiver Mike Williams, who skipped his school's Pro Day workout to focus on his own individual showcase in early April.

Todd Warshaw/Getty Images

There's a lot of anticipation regarding Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams and his upcoming personal workout. The word out of Williams' camp is that he will run a solid 4.4-4.45 when timed for scouts. If he can back that up, it could move him ahead of Pittsburgh's Larry Fitzgerald on some boards.

One player whose stock has slipped among some key decision-makers is Texas' Roy Williams. Many teams are looking closely at tests done on his knees and ankles to determine their stability and whether he can remain durable over the long term.

Archie Manning is playing a big role in influencing where Eli Manning will end up in the first round. The elder Manning doesn't want him landing in San Diego. The Manning camp is pushing hard to influence the Giants to do whatever it takes to move up for Eli and have him in the spotlight of the New York media m

A number of teams are scared off by Louisiana State defensive end Marquise Hill due to a bipolar condition. Remember former Michigan State first-round disaster Dimitrius Underwood?

Some scouts are turned off by Miami safety Sean Taylor, who doesn't seem to be taking the scouting process very seriously, but don't expect it to hurt Taylor much. The people making the draft decisions crave his physical skills.

Scouts are beginning to realize they initially rated Ohio State cornerback Chris Gamble too high due to all the hype he received for playing both ways in college.

Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall doesn't quite have the speed once projected, but he'll remain the first or second cornerback off the board. It wouldn't be a shock to see Southern California's Dunta Robinson as the top corner off the board. He's the most polished of the cornerbacks.

There's a possibility that Arkansas offensive tackle Shawn Andrews could drop slightly because he's not as athletic as scouts projected.

I don't blame Eli Manning (or Archie) for not wanting to play for San Diego, it seems like a black hole for QB's but I think that the Giants need offensive line help, not QB help.

If Mike Williams can pull off any type of 4.4x forty, then I think he might might jump ahead of Fitzgerald and if not, I think that it makes him a plausible top 5 pick, but there are a lot of variables that remain to be seen.

Finally, I am glad that the author mentions how weak this cornerback class is. There are no real great "shut-down" corners, and the two CB with the biggest names (Hall and Gamble) are terribly overrated.

I agree with you Lavar about Williams potential, however, the fact that teams are even looking at his health issue concerning his knees and ankles worries me. I think he will drop in the draft, not out of the first round, but drop. Knee and ankle problems are big issues.

Originally posted by jmwills1

I thought the CB Hal ran a 4.34 40. Im also pretty sure his short shuttle was 3.6, which is the best out there. If anything, i think he is improvin his stock. He is also a great punt returner

Exactly he did run those and has improved to many. May even be taken 10th if the Texans cant strike a deal to get Taylor. I do think its a stretch to take him at 10 even tho I am a fan of his. This person doesnt know what he's talking about. Since when did Dunta Robinson go to Southern California? Its Will Poole.

I don't blame Eli Manning (or Archie) for not wanting to play for San Diego, it seems like a black hole for QB's but I think that the Giants need offensive line help, not QB help.[/Quote]

I think any time you have the chance to draft a potential franchise QB, you take it. Especially when the QB you have is over 30 and only signed for one more year.

There are a lot of different scenarios I would be very happy with for the Giants in this draft. I don't think even Ernie Accorsi can screw this draft up for the Giants. (fingers crossed)

Originally posted by LaVar 56 Leap

Whoever picks Roy Williams is going to get the steal of the draft. He's not that far behind the other to at all. In fact he might even be on par with them.

At this stage of his career, Roy Williams is a more complete player than either Mike Williams or Fitzgerald.

He would have been a top 5 pick if he had come out of school a year early last year.

Tom, I agree with you. I think getting Eli Manning would be great for the Giants. I think getting him or Gallery are easy picks for your FO. Eli could sit and watch Kerry for at least one season and learn.

Now, being that I don't like the Giants, I hope you don't take either.

I think the NFL execs. see something that they don't like about Manning. With the type of background he has, teams would do just about anything to draft him. This is obviously not the case. So do you guys think that Manning is deserving enough to be the first player taken? I think he has the physical tools, but he does not possess the awareness that his brother has.

think he has the physical tools, but he does not possess the awareness that his brother has.[/Quote]

What in the world are you basing this on? I think San Diego doesn't want to take Manning because they are still gun shy from Leaf. And they feel they can get a QB they want much lower. Such as Rivers. Manning is young but has all the qualities and potential to be a franchise QB. I for one won't mind one bit if the Giants get him.

Oh yeah, Fred, :nana:

Scouts are beginning to realize they initially rated Ohio State cornerback Chris Gamble too high due to all the hype he received for playing both ways in college.

Well I was waiting for this to happen, he really isnt very good. In my opinion he'll be lucky to go in the 2nd round.

I thought the CB Hal ran a 4.34 40. Im also pretty sure his short shuttle was 3.6, which is the best out there. If anything, i think he is improvin his stock. He is also a great punt returner

He has improved his stock, but when they say he doesnt have the speed which was once thought he did I think thats true. Though 4.34 is fast as hell, I believe VT was saying throughout the year that he could run a 4.17 or something.

San Diego also may not want to part with #1 pick money to a QB that will not be able to play his first season. Young QB's do take a while to develop. SD has many needs and trading down and picking up a Rivers or the Ohio guy plus other picks would help them more.

I also agree with Tom that they are still gun shy.

The "Big Blue"

:moon:

The stuff I have heard is that he has more physical tools and gifts than Peyton, but he doesn't study or have the same over zealous passion for the game. He is still passionate, wants to win, and isn't taking things for granted, but his brother is just at a different level.

It is very rare to see a QB single handedly take apart a defense the way Peyton did with his snaps, counts, and audibles against KC. Sure, he didn't do it against NE, but he does it more often than he doesn't. I don't know of any other QB in the league right now that has that kind of presense.

Originally posted by Skins26

He has improved his stock, but when they say he doesnt have the speed which was once thought he did I think thats true. Though 4.34 is fast as hell, I believe VT was saying throughout the year that he could run a 4.17 or something.

I dont think anyone expected for him to run the same 40 over and over. He was listed to run a 4.35 on a lot of sites. Besides he ran that 40 while running on a track not a field.

Originally posted by LaVar 56 Leap

Whoever picks Roy Williams is going to get the steal of the draft. He's not that far behind the other to at all. In fact he might even be on par with them.

Al Davis has allready said Roy Williams is the best WR in the draft. And I agree.

He's big, fast and produces on the field. He can be put into any type of offense. What more do you want from a WR??

I think that if the Raiders don't take Gallery,they are going to trade down and draft Roy Williams.

Archived