Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Skins to play Broncos

Lavarleap56

Redskins, Broncos To Play Hall Game

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 23, 2004; Page D03

The NFL released its 2004 preseason schedule yesterday, confirming that the Washington Redskins will face the Denver Broncos in the Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 9, in Canton, Ohio.

The game, to be televised nationally by ABC at 9 p.m., serves as the league's exhibition opener and will mark the return of Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs to the sidelines. It will also feature the team debuts for Redskins running back Clinton Portis and Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, two premier players who were involved in a blockbuster trade earlier this month.

The Redskins will play five preseason games, although the exact dates and times of some are still to be determined.

Washington will host Carolina in Stephen Davis's first return to FedEx Field the week of Aug. 12-16; will travel to Miami the week of Aug. 19-23; will play at St. Louis on Aug. 27 at 8 p.m.; and will host Michael Vick and the Falcons the week of Sept. 2-5. Gibbs had been a minority owner with the Falcons before rejoining the Redskins in January.

Meantime, the Redskins are determining whether to match the four-year, $4.12 million offer sheet by the New Orleans Saints to fullback Bryan Johnson. Gibbs considers the restricted free agent critical to the team because the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Johnson was likely to start at H-back and specializes on special teams.

The Redskins, who have until Friday to make a decision, had vowed to match any contracts for their restricted free agents. However, the Saints structured the deal to make signing Johnson prohibitive -- he will count $2.2 million against the salary cap this year largely because of a $800,000 roster bonus due next Tuesday, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

The Redskins can save $1.3 million if they decide to release center Larry Moore. Washington has re-signed center Lennie Friedman and signed center Cory Raymer, apparently to compete for a starting job.

Johnson doesn't intend to be at Redskins Park this week -- minicamp starts on Friday -- unless the Redskins match the offer, said a source. The Redskins will not receive a draft pick if they don't match the Saints' contract because Johnson was undrafted as a linebacker out of Boise State in 2000.

Should Johnson depart, two candidates to replace him are 6-3, 260-pound Mike Sellers or 6-1, 250-pound Byron Chamberlain.

According to sources, the Baltimore Ravens are working on an offer sheet for another Redskins restricted free agent, wide receiver Darnerien McCants. Unlike Johnson, the loss of McCants would bring the Redskins a fifth-round pick. The Ravens have two fifth-round picks after losing out in the disputed trade for former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Redskins Notes: The team will hold minicamp -- Gibbs's first since he retired in 1993 -- from Friday to Sunday. Defensive tackle Brandon Noble won't participate but is ahead of schedule after having surgery on a severely dislocated kneecap that he suffered in an exhibition game last Aug. 16. . . . The team has decided not to re-sign defensive back David Terrell, according to a source with knowledge of the club's thinking. . . .

The Baltimore Ravens open their preseason by hosting Vick and the Falcons on Aug. 12 at M&T Bank Stadium. The game will be televised by ESPN. The Ravens will travel to Philadelphia on Aug. 20 to play in a nationally televised game (CBS) against the Eagles and wide receiver Owens, who was a Raven for 12 days before a three-team deal sent him to Philly.

The reigning AFC North champions will host the Detroit Lions during the third week of the preseason and travel to the Meadowlands to play the New York Giants to conclude their exhibition schedule.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

You know, none of this has really sunk into me completely yet. Gibbs being back and getting Portis and all that good stuff.

On Friday, when we will see them all in skins uniforms, and Gibbs coaching them, its really gonna hit me. I cant wait.

Wonder what number Portis will be wearing on Friday if his situation with Iffy isnt finished yet??

I noticed the Ravens are putting together a sheet to offer McCants...I hope they can at least hold on to him if they cant manage to keep Johnson...hopefully they can cut someone to free up money to cover him.

I cant wait to hear coverage over/after the weekend!!!

Meantime, the Redskins are determining whether to match the four-year, $4.12 million offer sheet by the New Orleans Saints to fullback Bryan Johnson. Gibbs considers the restricted free agent critical to the team because the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Johnson was likely to start at H-back and specializes on special teams

:cool:

looks like Coach Gibbs agrees with me

Originally posted by EvoSkins

The best thing about the article:

The team has decided not to re-sign defensive back David Terrell, according to a source with knowledge of the club's thinking.

Terrell should have been cut last year.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

In the immortal words of Ed McMahon: "You are correct sir!"

That's the first thing that jumped out at me, God it will be good to have that loser sent packing.

:cheers:

Originally posted by fwo40

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

In the immortal words of Ed McMahon: "You are correct sir!"

That's the first thing that jumped out at me, God it will be good to have that loser sent packing.

:cheers:

What, you guys don't like 160 pound safeties that can't tackle?

C'mon... Terrell would bring excitement to every passing play... kinda like Chip Lohmiller used to bring excitement back to the extra point.

And what is football about, if not excitement?

:gus:

Archived