Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor - Articles-Just some FYI

Lavarleap56

sports.espn.go.com/nfl/co...id=1742045

An argument can be made that the best player in April's draft won't go first.

Sean Taylor of Miami is the ultimate playmaker. He makes crunching tackles in the mold of Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys and he snares interceptions with the ease of Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens.

Sean Taylor is expected to be a top 10 selection in the upcoming draft.

"I think I'm both combined in one," Taylor said. "I can hit. I can cover. I can run. I think you're getting everything in one, almost."

Taylor could have played at more cherished positions. He was a 1,300-yard rusher at Gulliver Prep and holds the Florida touchdown record of 44 touchdowns as a senior. But Taylor came to Miami wanting to be switched to defense and play safety.

"I think it's more of a challenge," Taylor said. "Everybody can play offense and get 25 or 30 carries, you're bound to break one. It's hard to play defensive back and be consistent and get interceptions and make tackles. You have 10 other guys, including yourself, trying to get to the ball and make plays. It's more of a challenge. A lot of the pressure is put on defense more than offense. It's a challenge all-around. I'm a competitor, really."

www.foxsports.com/content...Id=2148692

There's only been one other guy since I've been doing this who has been close to him, and that's (Cowboys safety) Roy Williams," says Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey, who has been with the Packers for 13 years in a scouting role.

Taylor doesn't have Roy Williams' blitzing ability, but he can provide the same heavy metal run defense and is superior to Williams in coverage. In fact, Taylor can blanket slot receivers one-on-one. Because of that coverage proficiency, he will be able to help his team keep substitutions to a minimum, preventing offenses from exploiting mismatches in nickel and dime packages

NFL teams love to move a safety toward the line on running downs and outnumber the blockers. Taylor is perfect for working inside the box. "He can really support the run," says Eric DeCosta, Baltimore's director of college scouting. "He will stick his nose in there and lead with his facemask. He's an intimidating tackler."

One NFC scouting director believes Taylor could do it again at the professional level. "He has the athletic skills to be a big corner in the right scheme," the scout says. "He is better at coverage than (Roy) Williams."

Though it's unlikely any team will let Taylor hang out on the corner full time, the idea of him using his big body and strength to jam receivers is appealing. He also could be used outside to match up against jumbo wideouts.

Top 10 draft picks aren't supposed to be special teams studs, but Taylor is. He was a gunner on punt coverage for the Hurricanes and played on the punt-block unit. He returned kicks and punts on occasion last year and doesn't mind running down kickoff returners, either.

"I told a scout, 'You may not want to use Sean on special teams, but he'll go out there if you ask him,' " Shannon says. "He just wants to make plays, and special teams are an opportunity to do that."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2004/askexperts022704.htm

www.profootballweekly.com...022704.htm

The talk about Taylor was about just how relentless he is. His own teammates at Miami said they had to be sure where he was on the field at all times just so they wouldn’t get run over, and Taylor was already being compared to Ronnie Lott by some experts. That’s about the highest praise a safety can get coming out of college, and Taylor’s mix of intensity and speed will make him the next great safety in the NFL.

www.profootballweekly.com...022704.htm

www.foxsports.com/content...Id=2148692 sports.espn.go.com/nfl/co...id=1742045

From the first time I saw Taylor, during his sophmore year, I wanted him, he was a monster. I couldnt believe the athlete I was seeing, i knew it was only a matter of time before he exploded into a beast.

Before this past college football season, I posted a thread where everyone talked about who their guy was to watch in college football last year, just a guy they liked, why, and if we could possibly draft him. I picked Taylor. He is awesome, i've never seen anything like him.

He has to be a redskin, I think we are gearing up to take him, I just hope nobody jumps ahead of us and does it before we can.

I dont think the things we've been seeing are smoke screen, I think they are true, I think we want Taylor, and I think we're going to get him.

Originally posted by Skins26

From the first time I saw Taylor, during his sophmore year, I wanted him...i've never seen anything like him...I think we want Taylor, and I think we're going to get him.

:laugh:

You've got to get this man-lust under control.

And the other dude, lavarleap with that drooling icon? Man... :hump: :smooch:

hey ghost,

lets not throw a fit just cause our guy is being compared to Ronnie Lott while your guy (Udeze) isnt really being compared to anyone, because nobody really cares about him! :D

I'm just kidding, Udeze is alright. I find it funny though how you all joke around saying we have man crushes on Taylor, when the reason your saying is to defend your man Udeze. :rotflmao:

taylor will solidify the secondary and make it much better than last year. i wouldlove to have KW2 to make our offense unstoppable but then we wouldnt be able to stop anyone else. taylor will also help a lot up front, and that is money considering our d-line isnt that amazing. defense wins championships

I'd love to get this guy too, but if not him it HAS to be another defensive player. I think the biggest thing that would prevent us from picking Taylor is Coughlin may want him too.

No matter what I think we can forget about Winslow jr.

if we trade for more picks and get D-line I won't be so disappointed

Archived