Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amen, Paul McGuire !

Mickalino

Paul McGuire was on the mark, with his comment regarding the Skins Red Zone offense, or lack thereof - the confusion, the ineptness, delays, timouts, and the bad clock management :

"How hard can the Red Zone offense be ? Just give the damm ball to Stephen Davis !"

I'll take Paul McGuire over Jimmy Raye for OC anyday

Guest fuji869

I thought that was a good point by McGuire, when the offense has to be simple stick with your bread and butter just pound Stephen Davis! mad.gif

Maybe we can work out a trade with the ESPN Sunday Night Crew. Jimmy Raye and Tony Banks for Paul McGuire and Joe Theisman! Joe looks like he can still play QB and I am sure that leg had healed by now, it has been 16 years! The thing is the Sunday Night Crew would be getting the short end of the deal. laugh.gif

to be fair to Banks and Davis, the Redskins receivers have not gotten open in the red zone very often this season. While the Redskins have been kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns, I can't remember the last time a receiver was wide open in the end zone and we missed him.

Banks has made some forces and ill-timed throws, but some of that frustration has to come from the fact Westbrook and Gardner have not presented an open target very often in scoring territory.

A really top notch quarterback like Favre or Warner would be able to thread passes into double coverage and still make Gardner and Westbrook look fairly productive in the red zone.

But I haven't seen the kind of separation that would allow decent but not great qb's to make plays with them.

-------------------------------

" I can't remember the last time a receiver was wide open in the end zone and we missed him."

--------------------------------

I can. Last night.

Gardner was open crossing over to the right side of the end zone with the corner in front of but about 4 yards away from him. he wasn't open for a line drive bullet, so to Banks he wasn't open.

Banks threw it to him but the pass was about 6 yards away from Gardner and it passed out of bounds at about the 2. If he could loft it in and over with touch, a sure TD.

See. There it is. He doesn't have touch, timing (that's why he has to wait for a receiver to create opening so big you can drive a truck through it and like in schoolyard plays, where everbody keeps running around -sickening!).

Timing is when the ball is placed ahead of the reciever so that his momentum moving toward the ball will put him in connection with it. Banks struggles to do this and mainly the receiver has come open in "gaps" and the ball is placed in an "area", like "zone" passing. Argggh! That sets the QB up for picks, sacks, fumbles, out-of-bounds, 3 and outs.

Sound familiar.

2nd Eagle game, Banks throws to a triple covered Flemister while Westbrook was WIDE open in the end zone....I saw it from Korea and Banks missed it from eight yards away because it actually required him to read a defense and check down which he just cannot do.

Guest fuji869

I am the same way with EA Sports John Madden Football. I run about 4 different passing plays and pretty much have one receiver or back in each play I throw to, I guess I am "Pulling a Tony" too! biggrin.gif

That is alright I have won I have won six straight Super Bowls in the EA Sports World!!! jumping.gif

[edited.gif by fuji869 on December 31, 2001.]

I think the man is timid. He sure as hell looks timid! He sure as hell plays timid! And he talks timid too. (checkout the "Banks auditions" piece on the WPost site)

Methinks he hath neither the head nor the heart for the game.

------------------

You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do, and if you don't think drugs have done some good things for us then do me a favor when you go home tonite and take all your records, tapes and CD's and burn them! Because all those musicians that made all that great music that has enhanced your lives over the years....... rrrreal f*ckin high on drugs!!!

Tool.

With Madden 2k NavyDave doesnt pull a Tony I just look to see who has separation and fire in the pass and sometmes the Cpu does it for me.

However I rely on my running atack with Davis to keep opposing teams off balance one game he ran for 275 yards

------------------

Take A Sip of the Marty KoolAid and Believe.

I was not suggesting that Banks has been good at reading the field. What I am saying though is the Redskins schemed from early in the season to avoid throwing Westbrook the football and ran plays to Gardner almost exclusively.

Gardner dropped a touchdown pass in the first Dallas game and allowed Brian Dawkins, a safety catch him from behind in the second Eagles game, another play that should have ended up with 7 points.

based on the lack of a passing game, Davis is not going to run over 8 man fronts from the 20 yard line in, that is just a fantasy proposition.

the Rams score in the red zone because they can force defenses to stretch themselves out and give receivers and Faulk room to operate with the ball.

No receiver on the Redskins demands double coverage and the fear of Banks is virtually non-existent.

But make no mistake. The failure of the offense is based on a number of the parts not working together on any given play.

Banks needs to be replaced. I am plugged in enough to realize that. You all know I am an advocate biggrin.gif

But I also realize that we need a veteran receiver who runs consistent routes and we need to use KiJana Carter more as a second option in the passing game in the slot or as a backfield receiver to take the pressure off our quarterback.

By the breakdown of receptions, it is obvious that we don't have or use the backs and tight ends enough in what is supposed to be a controlled passing game.

What we have instead is a hodgepodge hybrid offense that just plain doesn't work. You have a downfield quarterback, a WCO coordinator and head coach, a power running back and receivers that have size, strength and decent enough speed but lack elusiveness or the ability to beat defensive backs on their route running skills.

This is a mess that needs to be straightened out.

And for Marty to say after the Saints game that Banks' 94 yard passing performance with ZERO td's was a 'nice effort' really has me at a loss.

If that was a nice effort..............well, no need to finish that statement, eh? smile.gif

Well, it might of been a "nice effort".

Tony may have tried as hard as he could.

But the results typically stink worse than a roadkill skunk.

the skins recievers could potentially pose a threat if given the chance. But when you have a career 52% passer who can't read a D or find the open man, what defense is going to respect your passing game?

Niether Gardner nor Westbrook are or will be jerry Rice clones. But they also don't have to look like Desmond Howard out there either. And Banks/Raye do their best to do that to them.

Archived