Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where were you?

Luca Brasi

I did a search for this topic but found nothing, so if it's already been discussed, I apologize.

I was thinking today about all of the excitement that surrounds Washington in the offseason, and my mind drifted back to the morning that I learned that Joe Gibbs "could" be making a return, and that if he did, it would be with the Redskins.

At that time, this board was full of threads weighing the pro's and con's of Jim Fassel. ASF was determined to change our minds about Denny Green, and football just wasn't fun anymore. I was ready to start focusing on other things in my life that I tend to ignore during football season, and I was ready to re-assert myself at work and stop surfing this board all the time.

But that one particular morning, after getting out of the shower I turned on the radio to sportstalk 980 as I do during football season. I wasn't really listening for anything particular, just something besides silence as I prepared to join the morning rush hour. But nearly as soon as I hit the power button, one of the Mike's (from Mike & Mike in the morning) asks a field reporter of some type these exact words: "So what is with these reports about Joe Gibbs?" The reporter then answered, "Well, we're learning that this story has legs, and that Gibbs is in heavy discussions with Dan Snyder".

At that point, and I am in no way embarrased to say this, I started crying. The first tears of joy that I have ever cried in my life. As the morning progressed, it was everywhere, and I called everyone I knew. Noone believed me, and I halfway didn't believe myself. But it was reality in a matter of hours, and I haven't looked back since.

So while we're in the midst of this free agency, and the draft, try to remember back to those days immediately after Spurrier quit and before Gibbs was hired. Now that was hell my friends.

So my question to all of you: Where were you when you heard that Gibbs was coming back?

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

The night before it was official I was in New Jersey and surfing the Post website when I saw it. Immediatley I went to this board read a few posts, called my friends who were Skins fans to tell them it may happen. The next morning I got about a dozen calls and as I came back to DC the anticipation got bigger and bigger. I drove through the city to see the most excited city I had seen in years

I was at student orientation for business school when a peer I had been speaking to about the Redskins a day earlier walks in after a break and tells me Joe Gibbs is coming back...I was pretty sceptical at first, then that night I stopped to get a sub as I was walking home and the guys on WFAN were talking about it, by the time I left the sub shop I wanted to raise my hands in triumph and thank the heavens at the top of my lungs...however I stayed cool and skipped home like a little schoolgirl

When I first heard it, ESPN was stating that we were in serious negotiations with Gibbs. I thought that was just Danny making the courtesy call to Joe and thought Joe would certainly give his typical answer that he was happy doing what he does. Even when they said it was official I still had a hard time believing.

i was at home during winter break, following the story in the papers, then watching that press conference that day. My dad however, being a fan since the early 70s was very emotionally happy, he wanted to buy a big screen tv.

I actually didn't hear it until the next morning after it broke. I listened to the radio Rock 92.3 (NC) and they said nothing. Once I got to work my supervisor called me via nextel and told me he heard it was a done deal. Kinda like Luca it don't possess happy tears but I did water up a little. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Totally unexpected. The bad thing is that I work in Concord NC, known for NASCAR and very close to Gibbs race shop. The ***** of it is that hours after the fact a guy I work with told me that Snyder flew into Concord Regional Airport in Redskin One and met with Gibbs at the airport to work out the details of his return. I have pictures of the plane from that day.What a missed opportunity to meet them both.

I was driving to work it was about 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, January 7, 2004...the day after my birthday...and 980 had "breaking news"...I expected the News to be that the Wizards picked up some third rate player or the Caps fired someone...but then I heard that Gibbs was in heavy negotiations with Snyder to return as the head coach...I was shocked....I pulled my car off the road....and wept...I admit it....I am a man but Gibbs returning brought that kind of emotion out of me...It was the greatest belated birthday gift I ever received....I shouted "The King has returned"....then I got on my cell phone and starting calling everyone I knew...and screaming into their voice mail...Gibbs is back!!!!!

Archived