Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft "Busts" a coaching problem?

I have just devised a theory that may explain the idea of draft "busts". I have no facts to back it up, but I think it's pretty sound:

Basically, to qualify for a "bust", a player probably went very early in the draft, had high expectations, and a contract to match. But, in the ensuing season, this player produces little, and finds themselves developing in a way that is counter-productive to evolving into the NFL game.

Here's the scenario that causes this: the teams that normally draft in the top ten had terrible seasons. The ten worst seasons, barring any significant trading. So, we can say, in a perfect world, that the top ten players from the draft will go to the ten worst teams.

But how did these teams get there? How did these teams find themselves in the ten worst catagory?

Answer: coaching.

The most crucial part of the game; maybe 75% of success is how each team, each player is motivated individually; who teaches them? Who molds them? It's all coaching. That's the most important thing in football.

So...enter your top ten draft prospect; perhaps it's a QB, for example, that had outstanding college #s, and is poised to have a great NFL career. Take that young, green player, and pair him w/ one of the worst coached teams in the league....what do you get? A QB that really only learns losing; for his first season, he learns the sh*t-end of the stick; gets sacked frequently, and finds himself scared and unsure in the pocket, rather than poised and tough.

It's obvious that the Skins had a terrible season last year. Hence the top-five pick. But everything has/is changing...enter Joe Gibbs, the heart and soul of the Redskins' dynasty. One of the greatest coaches of all-time, known for his motivational abilities, and football savvy.

So, to bring it all together, there will be no draft busts here, for this team. Whoever we draft, be it Taylor, or Winslow, or DL picks, they will develop and mature in a stable and soundly-coached environment.

Because where there are great coaches, there are great rookies.

Originally posted by brookboyz25

There are always exceptions to the rule. What about Cincinnati. Now that they have Marvin Lewis. It will be interesting to see how well Carson Palmer develops under him.

Personally, I think Carson Palmer will have a great year. Lewis showed his patience by having him sit for a season and learn the game, under a decent teacher in Kitna.

Lewis is a prime example of how coaching can determine the outcome of top-ten draft picks.

Archived