Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DFP:Lions begin quest for their Pudge equivalent

TK

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7984705.htm

Lions begin quest for their Pudge equivalent

By CURT SYLVESTER

Detroit Free Press

INDIANAPOLIS - The Tigers got their Pudge Rodriguez a couple of weeks ago; the Lions are looking for theirs now.

Coach Steve Mariucci and president Matt Millen are looking for the NFL equivalent of the Tigers' new catcher - a high-impact player who can hasten their return to respectability after consecutive seasons of 2-14, 3-13 and 5-11.

They spent the past two days matching their free-agent needs with the free agents who will be available March 3. And they will begin working their way through some 350 draft prospects when the NFL scouting combine workouts begin today.

But one player very much on Mariucci's mind is four-time Washington Redskins Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

"It would be like a Pudge Rodriguez signing, which was very exciting to the city of Detroit and fans everywhere," Mariucci said Wednesday. "The Champ Bailey thing would be like that."

Bailey, 25, is considered one of the NFL's best young cornerbacks. And pairing him with Dre' Bly would give the Lions one of the best - if not the best - set of starting corners in the league.

In addition, there is a family element involved. Bailey's younger brother is Lions linebacker Boss Bailey.

"It would be one of those real important acquisitions in the off-season in any sport," Mariucci said. "He would be a factor, he would be very well-received here. It's an interesting scenario to play with his brother and help us build this team up."

Champ Bailey was a first-round pick of Washington five years ago but - because of salary-cap limitations - the Redskins probably cannot afford to pay him and still make the free-agent moves new coach Joe Gibbs feels are necessary to make the team competitive.

Millen has had preliminary discussions with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, but the process is slow. The Redskins are likely to put a franchise tag on Bailey, which severely limits his ability to shop himself as a free agent.

And the Lions have a number of factors to consider before making a deal. Namely, what are they willing to give up - in terms of draft picks and players - to make a trade for Bailey, and can they afford two high-priced corners?

Mariucci admits the Lions would have a lot of money invested at cornerback, but the Bailey-Bly combination is appealing nevertheless.

"I know Champ and Dre' Bly hung out at the Pro Bowl and they got to know each other pretty darned well," Mariucci said. "You'd enter into every game thinking, `Our corners match up very well with whoever the receivers are, as good as anybody in the league. Two Pro Bowl corners, I don't know who's got that.'

"You'd sleep well at night (but) there would be some other holes you wouldn't be able to fill. You only have so many scholarships and you have to spread `em out, I understand all that. But we do need to entertain the possibility, to see if it works for the Redskins and for Champ and for us.

"If it doesn't, it doesn't, but I think everybody owes it to themselves to look into it."

Millen has said he will keep open the lines of communication with the Redskins and Reale regarding Bailey. Meanwhile, he - along with the Lions' coaches, scouts and executives - traveled to Indianapolis for the start of the combine.

The Lions have a number of serious needs, including a safety, a running back, a wide receiver, a pass rusher, at least one offensive guard, a tight end and depth at virtually any position.

After a full season with the Lions, however, Mariucci has a much better feel for the exact nature of those needs.

"I go there more focused than I was a year ago because I didn't know our team from Adam and Eve last year," he said. "We had a minicamp after the combine - before the draft - to get to know some of our players, but I went into the combine last year pretty blind in terms of what our needs were for the Detroit Lions.

"Now I know this team well. I know exactly where we're good, where we need help."

Archived