Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we really need to cut Champ? (a cap analysis)

monarch34

If we are currently $6.5M (approx.) under the cap, we can free up an additional $9.5M (rounded) of cap space just by cutting 4 additional players that most people already assume are gone:

Bruce Smith 6,500,000

Lional Dalton 1,400,000

Bryan Barker 900,000

Byron Chamberlain 660,000

TOTAL: 9,460,000

That would give us a combined $16.0M to resign Champ, sign Brunell, and still have some left (assuming that we can structure multi-year deals that are cap friendly this year). Assuming that we thought we needed even more money, here a few others:

Trung Canidate 915,000

Larry Moore. 1,300,000

Jessie Armstead 1,500,000

TOTAL: $3,715,000

While I think $16.0M ought to be enough, if it wasn't I would rather have Champ than Trung or even Moore or Armstead (although I would try to avoid cutting the last two if at all possible).

The point of this whole thread is to say "STOP" and really think about this before we have dealt away a perennial pro-bowler. While people have accurately pointed out that Champ's year last year was not his best, HOW MUCH OF THAT WAS THE DIRECT RESULT OF QB's HAVING ALL-DAY TO THROW? Any DB, including a pro-bowler, can only cover a guy for so long before the WR can beat him.

The point of that is not to say that DB's don't matter . . . they do matter . . . a bad DB would have been burned FAR MORE OFTEN . . . it is to say that Champ's performance, while still pro-bowl caliber, would have been even better had we had a complete defensive unit to support him. AND WE CAN NOW ADD THAT WITHOUT HAVING TO CUT HIM. Let's not fix our DL at the expense of our DB's (last year our approach seemed to be, let's fix our DB's at the expense of our DL).

Originally posted by monarch34

That would give us a combined $16.0M to resign Champ, sign Brunell, and still have some left (assuming that we can structure multi-year deals that are cap friendly this year). Assuming that we thought we needed even more money, here a few others:

I thought Flowtrain and his Jet fans said we were in salary cap trouble ;) :laugh:

Originally posted by IAMBG

You still gotta worry about the season after. Keep in mind he already turned down a lucerative deal.

You are talking about giving up and cutting alot just to kepp one dude around for another year...........

He turned it down because he wanted the signing bonus upfront, and he didn't like some other parts of the contract. He didn't want a long drawn out contract that would pay him a lil here, and then a huge chunk in a few years. That's y Stephen Davis isn't here. He's 25 years old, and arguable the most talented corner in the leauge. We have the money to sign him so other then getting draft picks for him we have no reason to let him go. He can't be replaced, and we're goin to be sorry if we let him go.

Plus, the leauge approved the increase in the salary cap to $79 million instead of $72 million like it usually is. So technically, when the FA begins and all the cutting goes thro, we'll have about $23 Million in free cap space. We can afford him and a whole lot more. And the contract he was offered would've averaged out to about $6 mill a year, that's no more or less then lavar is making.

-------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Yes, we can get to about $16M under the cap but factor in the cost of his franchise tag ($6.8M), the rookie pool (about $4-4.5M) and tendering our resticted FA's ($3-4M) and attempting to maybe resign a couple of our own FA's and that money disappears quickly. We can keep Champ on the franchise tag, but it will make things differcult to move under the cap.

First of all, we're not cutting champ. If he leaves, it's because some team gave us a good offer for him. Second, the market is flooded with good CBs right now. So in essence, if we could trade a CB rated as a 10, and then get a #1 and a number #2, and then pick up an 8 CB in FA, and pay around the same for these 3 players total, then I'd jump on it in a second. I think if you look at a cost/benefit analysis, we'd come out like thieves.

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Yes, we can get to about $16M under the cap but factor in the cost of his franchise tag ($6.8M), the rookie pool (about $4-4.5M) and tendering our resticted FA's ($3-4M) and attempting to maybe resign a couple of our own FA's and that money disappears quickly. We can keep Champ on the franchise tag, but it will make things differcult to move under the cap.

The whole franchise thing is always a big game of bluff between the player and the team.

The team offers the player a deal. The player says "no." The team threatens the franchise tag. The player says "who cares." But the player doesn't want it just as much as the team doesn't want to use it. The player knows that if he accepts a more cap-friendly deal, he can get more overall money. A bigger signing bonus spread over multiple years with smaller base salaries. The franchise tag is Hades for most players. But the player has got to believe the team is really going to use it before they cave in. I do not believe that Champ will cost $6.8M under the cap if we really play hardball and make him see that its in his best interests, too, to cut a long term deal.

Archived