Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEW Book About GIBBS

rtandler

Hey All,

I hate to interrupt all of the Brunell-Ramsey threads, but I thought that some of you might be interested in this.

Rich Tandler

--------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

rtandler@comcast.net

For Redskins Fans Who Can’t Wait for September, New Book Will Help

If you’re one of those Redskins fans who’s pumped up over the return of Joe Gibbs (and who isn’t?), a new book will let you relive the old Glory Days while you wait for the dawn of the second Gibbs era.

Gut Check: The Complete History of Coach Joe Gibbs’ Washington Redskins, by Rich Tandler, recounts the games and events of the Gibbs era and has profiles of every player who took the field for the Redskins during that time. No other book recaptures those great seasons in the detail that Gut Check does.

The book is now available for pre-ordering at http://www.GutCheckBook.com, where Redskins fans can also get a sneak peek at the book.

“This is really two books in one,” said Tandler, whose other book, The Redskins From A to Z, Volume 1: The Games, was published in 2002. “First, it’s a reference book. You’ll be able look up virtually anything you want to know about the Skins’ players and games during those 11 seasons.”

Indeed, Redskins fans will be able to find out all of the facts about those years, both important and trivial:

• Who scored the five touchdowns during The Quarter in Super Bowl XXII?
    Where did Ernest Byner go to college?
    How long was that field goal that Moseley kicked against the Giants?
    Who led the team in rushing in 1988?
    What number did Jumpy Geathers wear? And did he ever play for the Rams?

But that’s not the best part, says the author. “In this book, I wanted to get across the essence of those teams, what they were all about in terms of character,” said Tandler.

To accomplish this, Tandler created what the calls a scrapbook of Redskins stories. Interspersed with the game stories are accounts of what was going on at Redskins Park in between games and in between seasons. Of course, all of the major events like retirements and trades are covered, but there’s much, much more.

“You can read about what outrageous things Dexter Manley was saying about the upcoming opponent,” said Tandler. “Who was hurting and who was coming off of the injured list? Which players were rising up the depth chart, who was falling out of favor and why.”

And, of course, there is a heavy dose of Gibbs tales. “Through these anecdotes, I wanted to get across how he handled adversity and his humble nature when the team was on top.”

Gut Check is divided into two sections. The Players has basic information on every player who took the field under Joe Gibbs, including:

• Position
    Height and weight
    Years with the Redskins
    College
    Draft round, year, and team
    Other NFL teams he played for
    Jersey number
    Games played for Washington

In addition, for every player who saw more than minimal action for the Redskins, there is a profile, running anywhere from a sentence or two to several paragraphs, giving additional information about the player, anecdotes and special accomplishments, and quotes by and about that player.

It is in the second section, Chronology, that the game accounts and scrapbook articles appear. The game accounts are from Tandler’s first book, The Redskins From A to Z, Volume 1: The Games. In addition to the original game stories, which recount all of the key action, the game accounts include:

• Attendance
    Records of teams involved
    Line score
    Scoring summary

Why reprint the Gibbs-era game accounts from the first book, which had such stories of every game the Redskins played from 1937 through 2001? It’s a matter of giving people what they want, says Tandler.

“A lot of people—good Redskins fans all—told me that, while they liked the concept of bringing the story of all the games together in one book, they just weren’t very interested in what happened with the team in 1949 or 1967,” said Tandler. “They wanted to know about John Riggins, not Andy Farkas, Art Monk and not Bones Taylor.” In Gut Check, those fans can get just what they want at a price tag that’s considerably lower (retail price $11.95) than The Redskins From A to Z.

Redskins fans can take advantage of special offers such as free shipping by ordering at the book’s website, http://www.GutCheckBook.com.

Redskins A to Z is an outstanding book as well... Rich has graciously allowed us to use excerpts from his book for the Games Database that we will be releasing shortly.

However, while we believe the Games DB will be the 'shiznit', we consider Rich's books to be an essential for the diehard Skins fan.

Looking forward to getting my autographed copy of this book too, Rich!

EDIT:To clarify.... No, Extremeskins gets no kickback from him. I am endorsing it only because I enjoyed his first book.

Originally posted by Blade

Redskins A to Z is an outstanding book as well... Rich has graciously allowed us to use excerpts from his book for the Games Database that we will be releasing shortly.

However, while we believe the Games DB will be the 'shiznit', we consider Rick's books to be an essential for the diehard Skins fan.

Looking forward to getting my autographed copy of this book too, Rich!

EDIT:To clarify.... No, Extremeskins gets no kickback from him. I am endorsing it only because I enjoyed his first book.

Highly professional work with the first book. I will order the second soon.

Originally posted by skins19

Sounds like a great book. May have to talk the wife into letting me get it.

C'mon, skins19. It's only $11.95. How many times do you have to load the dishwasher to be able to get an additional twelve bucks of spending money?:D

Seriously, I know how it goes. I hope you can pull it off.

I'd feel a lot better about ordering the book if the sample text provided to entice buyers (which one would assume would include some of the prose of which the author is most proud) includes the following in reference to the game versus Minnesota on 12/26/87:

"The Metrodome - Doug Williams replaced an ineffective Doug Williams . . ."

Doesn't bode well for the quality of the rest of the book.

Originally posted by Mountdrago

I'd feel a lot better about ordering the book if the sample text provided to entice buyers (which one would assume would include some of the prose of which the author is most proud) includes the following in reference to the game versus Minnesota on 12/26/87:

"The Metrodome - Doug Williams replaced an ineffective Doug Williams . . ."

Doesn't bode well for the quality of the rest of the book.

As someone who has done a VERY LARGE percentage of the data entry work for all of our databases - lest my staff think I don't appreciate their tremendous effort Buddha and Blade :) - and has spent a good deal of time assembling (ie. purchasing) all the reference books we use for the databases... let me just I have YET to see a single reference that doesn't have obvious errors.

Not a single one.

And I'd put our collection of Redskins/NFL statistical books against anyone here.

It pains me to think of how much time and effort I've put into populating the databases with information... and understanding and accepting the fact that there's probably 2% human error. No matter how much effort I put into ensuring the data is accurate. There just HAS to be when dealing errors with that kind of quantity of data.

It's completely unintentional and it's not a reflection of the data or the author of the data. Not even close. When you have a resource like Rich's books and our databases which provide such unique content that you simply cannot find elsewhere... you really need to have an appreciation for how hard it is to collect the data to begin with. The typing errors, especially, are really trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, I don't see a lineup of volunteers willing to double check our data :laugh:

Thanks both to Mountdrago for pointing out the goof and to Die Hard for lending some insight into the process.

But just because such mistakes are understandable doesn't mean that they're OK. There is no "acceptable" error percentage for my works or, I'm sure, for what the guys here are putting together.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jimbo.

A to Z is currently out of print. I’ll do another printing at some point. It could be sooner rather than later if there’s sufficient interest (ie enough potential buyers to make another printing run economically feasible). Go to the Website and click on the link at the very top of the first page. That’s the easiest way to add your name to the list of those who would be interested in buying A to Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived