Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs Filling Out Coaching Staff

panthro

Sean Taylor or Winslow/Udeze + 2nd rounder  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Sean Taylor or Winslow/Udeze + 2nd rounder

• Sean Taylor
    • Winslow or Udeze plus early 2nd rounder

Things are becoming more complete. Looks like we'll have an announcement tomorrow....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A36944-2004Jan21?language=printer

Gibbs Filling Out Coaching Staff

Former Chargers, Bears Coordinators Are in Discussions

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, January 22, 2004; Page D03

MOBILE, Ala., Jan. 21 -- Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs is nearing completion of his staff as the team works toward agreements with a pair of former NFL defensive coordinators, according to two league sources Wednesday night.

The Redskins are in talks with Greg Blache to become defensive line coach and with Dale Lindsey to become linebackers coach. Blache (Chicago) and Lindsey (San Diego) were both fired as defensive coordinators after this season.

Gibbs wanted to announce a full staff by Thursday, when he and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams are tentatively scheduled to address the media, but the hiring process has been slowed by league rules that prevent coaches currently under contract from talking with other teams without permission from their employer.

Blache, 53, was a head coaching candidate the past few years; in 2003, he was a finalist for the San Francisco 49ers opening that went to Dennis Erickson. A Bears assistant since 1999, Blache was let go when the team fired Dick Jauron after Chicago's 7-9 finish this season.

Blache was a defensive line coach for 11 seasons -- six with the Green Bay Packers then five with the Indianapolis Colts.

The Chargers fired Lindsey, 61, on Jan. 3 with about a month left on his contract after the team allowed the second-most points in the NFL and had the league's worst red zone defense during a 4-12 season. Lindsey served as linebackers coach for the Bears before Chargers Coach Marty Schottenheimer hired him away in 2002.

After Gibbs named Williams -- former Buffalo Bills head coach -- his defensive coordinator, the Redskins looked to Buffalo's Don Blackmon to join Williams as linebackers coach, but the Bills blocked attempts to interview him. This week, new Bills coach Mike Mularkey announced that Blackmon would remain in Buffalo.

Whoever gets the linebackers job may inherit a talented group: the threesome of Jessie Armstead, LaVar Arrington and Jeremiah Trotter. Arrington made the Pro Bowl this season, and Armstead and Trotter -- former Pro Bowl players -- had solid seasons as well.

The Redskins have added two new coaches -- running backs coach Earnest Byner and defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker -- giving Gibbs 12 assistants.

According to Redskins sources, former cornerback Darrell Green appeared at Redskins Park on Wednesday to discuss joining Gibbs's staff in some capacity. Green is not expected to take a full-time role.

The search has been conducted so surreptitiously that even new hires aren't sure of their future colleagues. Although Byner looked like a Redskins coach this week, donning burgundy and gold gear, he declined to confirm his status.

"There's nothing official," Byner said. "We're trying to hammer out this deal."

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

According to Redskins sources, former cornerback Darrell Green appeared at Redskins Park on Wednesday to discuss joining Gibbs staff in some capacity. Green is not expected to take a full-time role.

DG had expressed an interest last season on his radio show, that he would be interested in front office duties to someday become the GM of the Redskins.

I wonder if he might be considering joining the staff in that type of capacity.

i got to give it to danny. every year he likes to flaunt that the redskins are the most profitable franchise by putting caution to the wind and splurging on big names. but now i think he's got it right. now he's spreading the love in all the right places, and signing big time coaches for big time bucks, but the bucks don't go against the cap. BRILLIANT! :pint: !!!!

Originally posted by Duke

This is going to be a heck of a staff coach I've seen in years. If we do well, Gibbs would be losing at least one of them in a year or two. :doh:

Duke -

I think I speak for alot of people when I say if we're losing a couple of assistants because of successful seasons, I'm not complaining :)

Blache will easily make all-interview team in the area, at least.

His philosphy for the D-line in Chicago was different. If I can find one of the many quotes...

...here's one example:

"If sacks were important, that's what they would use to determine a football game," a testy defensive coordinator Greg Blache said Wednesday. "Points are important. If sacks were important they'd use that as a deciding factor to who wins and who loses. And they don't." http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2003/11/06/sports/pro_sports/27c51192ecd9d17486256dd600037050.txt

I always sorta understood his stance, but never really agreed with it. This past season, he made it a point to say that he would allow the Bears linemen to be more agressive and go up the field. Previously, their jobs were to hold the point of attack and allow the linebackers to run free--something they weren't necessarily great at either outside of Ted Washington. The result? Franchise low sack total (less than 20 if I'm not mistaken). On the plus side for Washington, he probably won't be responsible for coming up with a defensive philosophy if he is indeed hired.

***EDIT (for clarity): Just wanted to mention that I fully agree with points being the most important defensive indicator.

Originally posted by Pete

I thinking I read in an article somewhere that It was said there is a cap on coaching payroll, and that Gibbs had just about reached it, if not past it already.

I've never heard of this........or how it works

I think what you read was the budget that Snyder had set on coaches. Gibbs went above that a while ago.

Archived