Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another RB Possibility

Duke

I read a local newspaper today that Thomas Jones will become a FA. All of the sudden, I think, why the heck we wouldn't go after him, if he isn't re-signed, as we all knew they're probably going to persue Dillon. And they already have Pittman.

He's big, young and also a hometown kid. Man, they guy's arms are bigger than my head. :laugh:

5'10" 220

137 carries, 627 yards, 4.6 avg and 3 TDs

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390

I'm not so sure guys. I like a local guy as much as anyone but he hasn't shown too much to this point in the pros. His average does not tell the story of his play, which has been inconsistent at best.

He was beat out by Shipp in AZ and Pittman in Tampa. Neither of those guys are anything special IMO. From what I read before the season Tampa wanted very badly for him to win the starting job from Pittman last off-season but it didn't happen.

I guess if we didn't have to give up any draft picks and he signed dirt cheap we might give him a look. I'd rather get a look at a healthy Betts before we bring in any other unproven backs, which unfortunately Jones still is.

He didn't necessarily get beat out by Pittman in Tampa. Pittman had already been there a year in Gruden's offense and was the incumbent starter.

As the season wore on T. Jones got more and more carries and in the end had better stats than Pittman. I can't be sure if Pittman was hurt or not but over the last 4 games T. Jones carried the ball 74 times while Pittman got only 15 carries in that span.

Looks to me like Thomas Jones actually started to win the job from Michael Pittman.

He beat out Pittman late in the season and played okay. Pittman often lined up as a receiver, but Jones was the feature back.

My point is he won't command a lot of money and is tougher than Trung. He and Betts in rotation might be a good combination.

I prefer him over Dillon, though. Staley is perhaps another good fit.

i think he could be the prototypical gibbs back. sure there are sexier options, but if he came at a bargain price, i have no doubt he could be another horse for the joe gibbs offense. probably have a few great years, like all gibbs' RB in the past. big strong blue collar vet getting into the right system. Take a look at the other throw back coaches. parcells' understanding of the game, made quincy carter look like an NFL qb for most of the year. Dick vermiel took a borderline pro-bowler who was run out of indy and made him into the best player in the league. then he took a middle aged vet who's career had plateaued in b-more and made him into the best player in the league. its all about system. gibbs like vermiel runs on a system that centralizes around the O-line. so i guess what i'm getting at is gibbs doesn't need a big time name, and thomas jones should be good enough.

I think you guys are crazy. He didn't get a chance?! What about AZ? Yes that's a bad franchise but they needed a RB desperately and found out in short order that he wasn’t going to cut it. His failure allowed Marcel Shipp to make a name for himself. How could he do it and Jones not be able to if he was so good?

Let’s look at his numbers. Here are his rushing numbers per game in Tampa last year: 30, 8, -1, bye, 2, 33, 7, 0, 0, 12, 134 (solid game), 27, 11, 89, 134 (solid), 73, 68. Do you see a star in the making here? I don’t. Jones was a great college back that has not been able to make the transition to the pros. Sorry, there isn’t much gray area here.

If we go out and pick up an available RB in free agency I’d at least like to get a guy who has proved he can perform at this level not just some guy who used to play for UVA. Otherwise how is he any better than Betts?

Don't forget that Gruden runs a lot of WCO. Neither he might not have put up impressive numbers, nor has burning speed, but I think he gained a lot of tough yards and is a very physical back. Bring him in with vets minimum, or so, to complement Betts may be a good try.

Archived