Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Renaldo Wynn DT?

Sphinx

It could happen and probably should happen. He came into the league as a DT, and the Jags converted him to a run-stuffing DE. With there being an obvious need for help along that D-line, why not have Wynn gain 15 -20 lbs and play him at the 3 technique DT position, and let Haley or a free agent play the other DT spot. That way instead of signing or having to draft 3 new starters along that DL we may be able to get by with just 2 new starters. Personally I would like to see Upshaw, Wynn, Griffin, and Hayward or Howard. Just a thought.

Wynn is not a DT, he was terrible in spot duty as a pass-rusher when we used to use him there. He didn't come into the league as a DT (Notre Dame and Jaguar fan, too). He doesn't have the mindset or the body leverage to play there. He's a DE, through and through, just not a great pass-rusher. Wynn is not Kenard Lang, although their careers and numbers mirror one another's, so the same experiment won't work twice.

Figure of we play the 46 and we keep Wynn as a DE, then he moves in over the guard and is responsible for keeping the guard off of whoever lines up over center.

Using the Bears 46 for example, (since it worked so well) Everyone knows Richard Dent and Dan Hampton. Hampton got the inside pressure, and Dent's speed got him around the ends.

But there was also Mike Hartenstein, who really gets forgotten for playing that other end position, same for Steve McMichael at the other DT position. Role players, mudders.

Can Wynn fill either of those roles?

He's got some size, and a hell of a knack for sticking to blockers. Maybe being in the middle mucking things up would suit him better than whatever he calls what he's been doing.

~Bang

He did play DT for the most part at Notre Dame, but most draft reviews of him show him as a DL, meaning he can play either/or. I still think if he gained 12-20 lbs he'd be fine as a DT position. Keep in mind it isn't always a DT duty to get sacks, but more so stuffing the middle to free up the LB's and DE's. I read an article about him while he was Notre Dame and the guy can bench press 485, and squat 795. I'm sure he's probably lifting more than that now, and with added weight and Gibbs, and Williams coaching him he could be a lot like former Redskins DT Tim Johnson.

Archived