Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Know what the Offensive Quality Control guy does?

vegeta613

We've discussed this on the board before.

A quality control coach essentially just condenses what the other coaches want into a streamlined form. Whether it's taking the 5,000 plays in the playbook and making game plan sheets that you see out on the field with the coaches holding them to their lips, or whether it's putting up the daily schedule for players on the bulletin board and chalk board, it's basically the grunt work.

They save time by compiling statistics of the opposition. Like when it's 1st and 10 between the 40s, the team generally lines up in what formation and most often calls what type of play. How often they play action pass. That kind of thing. It's just taking all the data a team has and making it something the other coaches can understand and look over without having to waste their time doing the culling.

Most teams have an offensive and a defensive quality control coach. I'm sure we will as well.

Originally posted by Art

We've discussed this on the board before.

A quality control coach essentially just condenses what the other coaches want into a streamlined form. Whether it's taking the 5,000 plays in the playbook and making game plan sheets that you see out on the field with the coaches holding them to their lips, or whether it's putting up the daily schedule for players on the bulletin board and chalk board, it's basically the grunt work.

They save time by compiling statistics of the opposition. Like when it's 1st and 10 between the 40s, the team generally lines up in what formation and most often calls what type of play. How often they play action pass. That kind of thing. It's just taking all the data a team has and making it something the other coaches can understand and look over without having to waste their time doing the culling.

Most teams have an offensive and a defensive quality control coach. I'm sure we will as well.

Very, very interesting. That will save a lot of time.

If Coy does this effectively, I could see how that would make operations much, much more effecient.

Originally posted by vegeta613

Thanks Art I appreciate it

:cheers:

I kinda figured it was something along those lines but I was thinking mainly there job dealt with organization of film and such I did not think they did all that

No worries.

The quality control coach actually will save Gibbs a LOT of time with film. Before, when he'd watch film, he'd watch the play and have to mark formation, motion, run or pass, if pass, was it play action or straight drop. How many steps, what routes were run, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Now, the quality control coach will chart most of that. What yard line. Personnel. Formation. Play call. Route structure. All that. Meanwhile, Gibbs and the coaches will be able to watch for keys. The left tackle bows his elbow on runs to his side. The slot receiver drifts forward when it's a pass and he's in motion. Whatever.

That way they don't have to watch the same film over and over looking for different information each time. They can focus on keys and tendencies while the quality control coach does all the actual charting, and then goes into his office and puts all that information into a streamlined data sheet that used to be done by Gibbs himself.

Here is something interesting about Quality control

<<A quality control coach is an entry level position. The guy is usually responsible for a lot of the menial duties like the original run through of the film break down into certain segments and situations so that the other coaches can have their film review be more streamlined.

Here are 3 guys that were Quality Control coaches under Mike Holmgren in Seattle: Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, and Steve Mariucci.

It's a great starting off point for a coach.

But it is the bottom of the barrel.>>

got that off another board and it is interesting and it makes me think

Is Gibbs setting up his son to possibly replace him someday??

Archived