Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today, quick look at who stays/goes

Chrisbob74

From USA Today:

www.usatoday.com/sports/f...s/home.htm

FREE-AGENT UPDATE: LS Ethan Albright (solid, should return). CB Champ Bailey (four-time Pro Bowl pick; will get the franchise tag). DT Martin Chase (didn't play much; probably won't return). TE Zeron Flemister (won't be back). C Lennie Friedman (eight starts; could return). DT Bernard Holsey (good for 10-15 snaps per game; longshot to return). WR Patrick Johnson (good work on special teams; could return). LB Kevin Mitchell (reliable but aging vet; status in doubt). DT Darrell Russell (productivity didn't outweigh headache; won't return). S David Terrell (marginal talent; won't return). DE Peppi Zellner (not bad as a reserve; could return).

Could be cut: LB Jessie Armstead, P Bryan Barker, RB Trung Canidate, TE Byron Chamberlain, DT Lional Dalton, C Larry Moore and DE Bruce Smith.

RFAs: WR Darnerien McCants (promising, 5th round), FB Bryan Johnson (some potential, undrafted), S Ifeanyi Ohalete (probably deposed starter, undrafted).

Why the hell are people writing this crap? Gibbs has barely got the seat warm in front of the tv to watch the players. Nobody is cut yet. JOE has the final say, not the writers, and not even (i'm sorry guys) the people on this board

It's all speculation. We could put any names in there and have just as good a chance at being right as this guy does.

I don't understand the Armstead talk either. He's exactly the type of savvy vetearn that Gibbs liked in the past. I don't see him getting the axe.

All of this stuff is coming about because there are only three games left this season and there is a lag time between now and when the FA market is open. NFL beat writers need something to do in their free time and not all of them can write on the two playoff games this weekend. That being said maybe this guy should find another way to use his spare time during the offseason instead of analyzing the cuts on a team where the coach has been out of the game for over a decade and needs to evaluate the talent before he makes any decisions.

David Terrel being cut? Why, are his salary demands likely to be high? He's a decent nickle CB and he plays special teams well. What more do we want if he will come cheap? People seem to only view him as a safety at this point.. why?

Terrell will probably stay as a dimeback/back up safety/special teamer because he'll be cheap - unless we can find a gem undrafted free agent or low round draft pick - (that would be ok too)

I think Kevin Mitchell won't be re-signed. That Clifton Smith looked pretty good last year and good coaching could do wonders for his development.

Archived