Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The New Era: Some Early Thoughts

Om

Been rather hard to think clearly the last couple of days. I’ve found myself trying NOT to go overboard and start making predictions. Being a skeptic at heart, I’ve tried to balance the giddiness associated with The Return against reasonable concerns over his extended absence and how that might mitigate against him.

But try as I may – and having gone back and looked with fresh eyes at quite a bit of tape from his first go-round – the truth is it’s very hard for me to believe this man won’t succeed again. I’m not talking necessarily about winning titles, because I don’t think that’s fair to burden ANY man with .... instead, I’m simply talking about getting this moribund, doubt-wracked franchise re-energized, refocused, once again infused with a sense of professionalism, and headed decisively back in the right direction.

Several things have jumped out at me already, based on what I’ve read, and the numerous conversations I’ve had with serious long-time NFL watchers, and the long talks I’ve had with myself (I think they’ve been mostly in my head, although I can’t be sure – people have been looking at me even funnier than usual) over the last few days.

Here’s just a few for now. As to the rest, hell, the season is nine months away.

Gonna pace myself. :)

Gibbs’ offense was simply so decisive. From as early as 1982, when he and his system were still wet behind the ears, you just get the sense of the brains behind the brawn, and how the pieces work together. I simply can’t stress that enough.

The line jogged crisply to scrimmage. The tight end in motion (just wait ‘til you younger guys get a load of the motion, you’ve not seen anything like it) made a crisp turn at center, and headed back the other way. Guys got set and stayed set. On running plays, the ball didn’t get back to the RB 3 or 4 yards deep and THEN the RB tried to pick a seam; rather, the RB was on the QB’s hip almost as soon as he backed from center, he took the ball 1 or 2 yards deep, and hit the line with authority. The worst that happened was the D had guessed right and clogged the hole. But, more often than not, the crease was there, and the RB would be into it before any LB’s could “read and react.” We dictated, pure and simple, and put the pressure on the D to guess right. In that bet, take Gibbs and give the points every time, and you’ll never go hungry.

On passing plays, the QB knew exactly where to go with the ball. He had clear, predetermined options (and there were very, very rarely pass rushers unaccounted for), and enough options built in where the negative plays were exceedingly rare. More often than not, the QB took a 3 or 5 step drop and delivered well before any defensive pressure forced him to. We dictated there, too, and put real pressure on the D to have everything underneath accounted for, or spend a long, long day eating RB’s and tacking TE’s and surrendering 3rd down conversions. Which, of course, given the pressure of the run threat and being faced with wearing down under the onslaught of time-consuming drives, made it exceedingly dangerous, since we were also never shy about going over the top once the D was drawn up.

If you can over this summer, take a look at some game tapes from the 80's ... and see for yourself what I’m talking about. Just watch 3 or 4 games, and it will become abundantly clear. The overall impression you will walk away with – especially viewed in context of the offense we’ve been running here lately – is simply how quickly they got the ball into the areas they were attacking. Look for that starting in preseason games. Not so much the areas themselves – because, as I believe has been mentioned already, Gibbs does NOT game plan preseason games, meaning he won’t be attacking weaknesses on the other team so much as trying to get his own guys timed up – but the crispness and decisiveness in both run and pass plays.

And if my writeup here doesn’t convey it, don’t worry. You’ll see what I’m talking about soon enough.

Trust me. :)

Richie Petitbone had a lot (a LOT) to do with the wild success of the Gibbs years. More than I think has generally been voiced the last couple of days. And that’s something I have some quiet concern about.

Lots of people made fun of Spurrier for his detachment from the defensive side of the ball, but in the back of my head has always been the clear memory of Gibbs, laughing self-deprecatingly many years ago when asked about the defense, and saying, in essence, “hey, that’s Richie’s deal. I may wander down the hall and stick my head into his meeting rooms once in a while, but that’s about it.”

I think SS would have liked to do that, too, and it was generally okay for him to do so in year one with Marvin Lewis aboard ... but once it became clear early this past year that George Edwards was in over his head, that approach became a clear liability for him. Which is, happily, all water under the bridge now. What is NOT, however, is that the biggest question I have about the New Era Skins is whether or not Gregg Williams will give Gibbs the same kind of support that Petitbone did.

Honestly, I don’t know enough about Williams – or about the personnel he’ll have to work with – to have a feel one way or the other at this point. Obviously, his track record is impressive, and there’s no real reason to expect that to change here, and I’m thrilled about that. But this is one of those deals where, having watched just how big a part of our earlier successes were based upon rock solid defense, which rarely put the offense in bad situations, giving them the opportunity to “to be in games” and rarely have to play from behind, next season I’m going to be watching the D very, VERY closely. At least as closely as the offense.

I think time and the Gibbs legend have diminished the memory of the defensive excellence his teams boasted a bit, and just how big a part of his success it really was. Williams, for all his reputation, has some seriously big shoes to fill. I feel good about what little I DO know about him ... but remain agnostic, at least for the moment.

Hopefully I’ll feel differently after we end up with a stellar pass-rushing DE and a monster DT between now and July. :)

Then there’s this whole notion that Gibbs’ approach will be negatively affected by “free agency,” and that somehow it will dilute what he does and should be a major concern.

Well, here’s what I’ve been telling anyone who tries to run that silliness past me:

“Yeah, you could be right. Of course, on the other hand ... you may have heard about how Gibbs managed to win – and win big – with a rotating cast, over more than a decade. Three titles with three different QB’s, three different RB’s, three different receiving corps, three vastly different defensive rosters, etc. You know, maybe there’s a little something to be gleaned from that.

And then there’s the little matter of the replacement team in 1987. Remember which team came together ridiculously fast, and was the clear, clear class of the NFL field during those weeks? Remember that he took that rag tag, off-the-street bunch, and went down to Dallas on MNF and beat a Tom Landry team studded not only with NFL players, but future Hall of Fame NFL players? Just a thought, but ... maybe there’s something to be gleaned from that, as well.”

Rather than viewing free agency as a detriment to the New Era Gibbs, says here it’s actually something that will work most decidedly in his favor. Nobody in league history has ever proven more adept than Joe Gibbs at taking what’s available to him at the moment, and crafting it quickly into a competent, cohesive and highly competitive unit. There is absolutely NO objective evidence that any detractor can give right now to defend the proposition that that will change now. None.

That’s what I tell them. Makes ‘em crazy.

There’s other stuff, too ... quantifiable stuff like special teams ... and non-quantifiable stuff like locker room chemistry and confidence born of superior preparation ... but this is only January.

We have time.

Been rather hard to think clearly the last couple of days. I’ve found myself trying NOT to go overboard and start making predictions. Being a skeptic at heart, I’ve tried to balance the giddiness associated with The Return against reasonable concerns over his extended absence and how that might mitigate against him.

But try as I may – and having gone back and looked with fresh eyes at quite a bit of tape from his first go-round – the truth is it’s very hard for me to believe this man won’t succeed again. I’m not talking necessarily about winning titles, because I don’t think that’s fair to burden ANY man with .... instead, I’m simply talking about getting this moribund, doubt-wracked franchise re-energized, refocused, once again infused with a sense of professionalism, and headed decisively back in the right direction.

Several things have jumped out at me already, based on what I’ve read, and the numerous conversations I’ve had with serious long-time NFL watchers, and the long talks I’ve had with myself (I think they’ve been mostly in my head, although I can’t be sure – people have been looking at me even funnier than usual) over the last few days.

Here’s just a few for now. As to the rest, hell, the season is nine months away.

Gonna pace myself. :)

Gibbs’ offense was simply so decisive. From as early as 1982, when he and his system were still wet behind the ears, you just get the sense of the brains behind the brawn, and how the pieces work together. I simply can’t stress that enough.

The line jogged crisply to scrimmage. The tight end in motion (just wait ‘til you younger guys get a load of the motion, you’ve not seen anything like it) made a crisp turn at center, and headed back the other way. Guys got set and stayed set. On running plays, the ball didn’t get back to the RB 3 or 4 yards deep and THEN the RB tried to pick a seam; rather, the RB was on the QB’s hip almost as soon as he backed from center, he took the ball 1 or 2 yards deep, and hit the line with authority. The worst that happened was the D had guessed right and clogged the hole. But, more often than not, the crease was there, and the RB would be into it before any LB’s could “read and react.” We dictated, pure and simple, and put the pressure on the D to guess right. In that bet, take Gibbs and give the points every time, and you’ll never go hungry.

On passing plays, the QB knew exactly where to go with the ball. He had clear, predetermined options (and there were very, very rarely pass rushers unaccounted for), and enough options built in where the negative plays were exceedingly rare. More often than not, the QB took a 3 or 5 step drop and delivered well before any defensive pressure forced him to. We dictated there, too, and put real pressure on the D to have everything underneath accounted for, or spend a long, long day eating RB’s and tacking TE’s and surrendering 3rd down conversions. Which, of course, given the pressure of the run threat and being faced with wearing down under the onslaught of time-consuming drives, made it exceedingly dangerous, since we were also never shy about going over the top once the D was drawn up.

If you can over this summer, take a look at some game tapes from the 80's ... and see for yourself what I’m talking about. Just watch 3 or 4 games, and it will become abundantly clear. The overall impression you will walk away with – especially viewed in context of the offense we’ve been running here lately – is simply how quickly they got the ball into the areas they were attacking. Look for that starting in preseason games. Not so much the areas themselves – because, as I believe has been mentioned already, Gibbs does NOT game plan preseason games, meaning he won’t be attacking weaknesses on the other team so much as trying to get his own guys timed up – but the crispness and decisiveness in both run and pass plays.

And if my writeup here doesn’t convey it, don’t worry. You’ll see what I’m talking about soon enough.

Trust me. :)

Richie Petitbone had a lot (a LOT) to do with the wild success of the Gibbs years. More than I think has generally been voiced the last couple of days. And that’s something I have some quiet concern about.

Lots of people made fun of Spurrier for his detachment from the defensive side of the ball, but in the back of my head has always been the clear memory of Gibbs, laughing self-deprecatingly many years ago when asked about the defense, and saying, in essence, “hey, that’s Richie’s deal. I may wander down the hall and stick my head into his meeting rooms once in a while, but that’s about it.”

I think SS would have liked to do that, too, and it was generally okay for him to do so in year one with Marvin Lewis aboard ... but once it became clear early this past year that George Edwards was in over his head, that approach became a clear liability for him. Which is, happily, all water under the bridge now. What is NOT, however, is that the biggest question I have about the New Era Skins is whether or not Gregg Williams will give Gibbs the same kind of support that Petitbone did.

Honestly, I don’t know enough about Williams – or about the personnel he’ll have to work with – to have a feel one way or the other at this point. Obviously, his track record is impressive, and there’s no real reason to expect that to change here, and I’m thrilled about that. But this is one of those deals where, having watched just how big a part of our earlier successes were based upon rock solid defense, which rarely put the offense in bad situations, giving them the opportunity to “to be in games” and rarely have to play from behind, next season I’m going to be watching the D very, VERY closely. At least as closely as the offense.

I think time and the Gibbs legend have diminished the memory of the defensive excellence his teams boasted a bit, and just how big a part of his success it really was. Williams, for all his reputation, has some seriously big shoes to fill. I feel good about what little I DO know about him ... but remain agnostic, at least for the moment.

Hopefully I’ll feel differently after we end up with a stellar pass-rushing DE and a monster DT between now and July. :)

Then there’s this whole notion that Gibbs’ approach will be negatively affected by “free agency,” and that somehow it will dilute what he does and should be a major concern.

Well, here’s what I’ve been telling anyone who tries to run that silliness past me:

“Yeah, you could be right. Of course, on the other hand ... you may have heard about how Gibbs managed to win – and win big – with a rotating cast, over more than a decade. Three titles with three different QB’s, three different RB’s, three different receiving corps, three vastly different defensive rosters, etc. You know, maybe there’s a little something to be gleaned from that.

And then there’s the little matter of the replacement team in 1987. Remember which team came together ridiculously fast, and was the clear, clear class of the NFL field during those weeks? Remember that he took that rag tag, off-the-street bunch, and went down to Dallas on MNF and beat a Tom Landry team studded not only with NFL players, but future Hall of Fame NFL players? Just a thought, but ... maybe there’s something to be gleaned from that, as well.”

Rather than viewing free agency as a detriment to the New Era Gibbs, says here it’s actually something that will work most decidedly in his favor. Nobody in league history has ever proven more adept than Joe Gibbs at taking what’s available to him at the moment, and crafting it quickly into a competent, cohesive and highly competitive unit. There is absolutely NO objective evidence that any detractor can give right now to defend the proposition that that will change now. None.

That’s what I tell them. Makes ‘em crazy.

There’s other stuff, too ... quantifiable stuff like special teams ... and non-quantifiable stuff like locker room chemistry and confidence born of superior preparation ... but this is only January.

We have time.

You know Om, I had just finished watching SB26 on tape and was about to type pretty much exactly what you just did. Crsip execution, multiple TE sets (FOUR TE sets!), Gibbs vs. free agency ... the works. Too bad you beat me to it. :)

Although, I would like to say one thing regarding Petibone and Gibbs' neglect on defense (for lack of a better word.) One of Gibbs' greatest strengths is his ability to delegate. He finds the best people for the job and then makes them accountable. Accountability is what I think was missing from the Spurrier regime. I think Williams will get it done, but if he doesnt, I think Gibbs will make sure he does ... if that makes sense.

So I guess, like you, I'm having trouble finding that balancing skepticism I usually carry around with me. And it's not for lack of trying. :)

You know Om, I had just finished watching SB26 on tape and was about to type pretty much exactly what you just did. Crsip execution, multiple TE sets (FOUR TE sets!), Gibbs vs. free agency ... the works. Too bad you beat me to it. :)

Although, I would like to say one thing regarding Petibone and Gibbs' neglect on defense (for lack of a better word.) One of Gibbs' greatest strengths is his ability to delegate. He finds the best people for the job and then makes them accountable. Accountability is what I think was missing from the Spurrier regime. I think Williams will get it done, but if he doesnt, I think Gibbs will make sure he does ... if that makes sense.

So I guess, like you, I'm having trouble finding that balancing skepticism I usually carry around with me. And it's not for lack of trying. :)

The great thing about this coaching staff will be that they won't waste time with a player who can't do his job.

Gibbs & Co. will have the right players on the field.

That, above all else, is what I am looking forward to this year.

Nice write up Om. Though I think Henry would of said it just as nice. ;)

The great thing about this coaching staff will be that they won't waste time with a player who can't do his job.

Gibbs & Co. will have the right players on the field.

That, above all else, is what I am looking forward to this year.

Nice write up Om. Though I think Henry would of said it just as nice. ;)

Another nice change will be that we won't see those knee jerk reactions from the coaching staff that occured all too often under Spurrier. Gibbs will have a plan and stick to it. Gibbs will still make adjustments, but he wont reinvent the wheel each week.

Another nice change will be that we won't see those knee jerk reactions from the coaching staff that occured all too often under Spurrier. Gibbs will have a plan and stick to it. Gibbs will still make adjustments, but he wont reinvent the wheel each week.

Free agency was made for Gibbs and we won't be always looking at high priced talent. Gibbs was great at getting guys to do specific jobs and to do them well. My only concern is that since the team was set-up for Spurrier, it may take some time for Gibbs to put his plan in place. I don't feel comfortable with some people picking 10 win seasons or playoffs. I know there will be immediate improvement-just in the overall professionlism of the team. No predictions from me, I am going to enjoy every moment of this. It will be great justing seeing the MAN walking the sidelines.

Free agency was made for Gibbs and we won't be always looking at high priced talent. Gibbs was great at getting guys to do specific jobs and to do them well. My only concern is that since the team was set-up for Spurrier, it may take some time for Gibbs to put his plan in place. I don't feel comfortable with some people picking 10 win seasons or playoffs. I know there will be immediate improvement-just in the overall professionlism of the team. No predictions from me, I am going to enjoy every moment of this. It will be great justing seeing the MAN walking the sidelines.

Originally posted by Hauss

Free agency was made for Gibbs and we won't be always looking at high priced talent. Gibbs was great at getting guys to do specific jobs and to do them well.

Funny story I heard once . . . I have no idea if it's true.

I heard that the bizarre NFL "inactive list" was formed because other teams were p!ssed off that Gibbs managed to use almost his entire roster in games, finding specific roles for players and popularizing the "situation substitution" trend in games.

Teams that couldn't keep up mentally with Gibbs (and Petitbon) fell back on an old-school argument that football is supposed to be 11 guys against 11 guys, so the inactive list was created to restrict the coach's ability to make situational substitutions.

Again, I have no idea if it's true, but it's disappointing that Joe Gibbs II won't have access to his whole roster during games. Which, in turn, makes it harder for Gibbs to develop, test and reward all his players and keep them loyal to the team. Instead, it forces Gibbs and other coaches to put a red mark on certain players each week, in effect, "Coach thinks these players suck."

The more restrictive rules on coaching promotions are another sign that the old guard has tightened ranks against sharp-shooters like Gibbs. It's yet another factor driving the NFL toward parity and mediocrity -- it keeps more teams in the race, while putting roadblocks in the path of great coaches.

Originally posted by Hauss

Free agency was made for Gibbs and we won't be always looking at high priced talent. Gibbs was great at getting guys to do specific jobs and to do them well.

Funny story I heard once . . . I have no idea if it's true.

I heard that the bizarre NFL "inactive list" was formed because other teams were p!ssed off that Gibbs managed to use almost his entire roster in games, finding specific roles for players and popularizing the "situation substitution" trend in games.

Teams that couldn't keep up mentally with Gibbs (and Petitbon) fell back on an old-school argument that football is supposed to be 11 guys against 11 guys, so the inactive list was created to restrict the coach's ability to make situational substitutions.

Again, I have no idea if it's true, but it's disappointing that Joe Gibbs II won't have access to his whole roster during games. Which, in turn, makes it harder for Gibbs to develop, test and reward all his players and keep them loyal to the team. Instead, it forces Gibbs and other coaches to put a red mark on certain players each week, in effect, "Coach thinks these players suck."

The more restrictive rules on coaching promotions are another sign that the old guard has tightened ranks against sharp-shooters like Gibbs. It's yet another factor driving the NFL toward parity and mediocrity -- it keeps more teams in the race, while putting roadblocks in the path of great coaches.

Great post Om.

With yet another def scheme for the guys to learn, there will be a learning curve, I believe. Arrington and the other guys have got to be a bit fristrated at this point, yet knowing that this is finally the step that was needed for this team to succeed. All that said, it will take the boys on D at least half the season to resemble anything like the old days.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Great post Om.

With yet another def scheme for the guys to learn, there will be a learning curve, I believe. Arrington and the other guys have got to be a bit fristrated at this point, yet knowing that this is finally the step that was needed for this team to succeed. All that said, it will take the boys on D at least half the season to resemble anything like the old days.

Just my $0.02 worth.

One interesting side part will be how Joe handles the

replay situation. It was such a side show with SS as

he sometimes could not find the flag and early on did

not seem to know what could or could not be challenged.

Just another indicator to watch as Joe will not only get

educated in this area but be prepared and decisive.

One interesting side part will be how Joe handles the

replay situation. It was such a side show with SS as

he sometimes could not find the flag and early on did

not seem to know what could or could not be challenged.

Just another indicator to watch as Joe will not only get

educated in this area but be prepared and decisive.

I too was overly optimistic when I heard of Gibbs' return. I don't want to make any predictions on a record next season, which will be hard. We'll see the same kind of success from Gibbs that we saw from Parcels in Dallas last year, even if the Skins' record doesn't show that. They'll be (there is) a totally different attitude in this organization and I'm really excited about what's in store for us.

Archived