Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hmm. Chris Mortensen says Russ Grimm NOT coming to D.C.

Hmm. Christ Motensen says Russ Grimm is NOT coming to D.C. But if he is the Steelers OL coach and the Skins offer him the OC position, that is a promotion and how can they prevent it? :rolleyes:

Question:

Brian (Manassas VA): With Gibbs back, there is talk that Russ Grimm will be headed to DC. But with Bugel coming...what role for Grimm? Can he make a lateral move? Is his contract up in Pit?

Answer:

Chris Mortensen: I have it on very good Steeler authority that Grimm is not going anywhere, and they would likely not allow him to join Gibbs in Washington.

Hmm. Christ Motensen says Russ Grimm is NOT coming to D.C. But if he is the Steelers OL coach and the Skins offer him the OC position, that is a promotion and how can they prevent it? :rolleyes:

Question:

Brian (Manassas VA): With Gibbs back, there is talk that Russ Grimm will be headed to DC. But with Bugel coming...what role for Grimm? Can he make a lateral move? Is his contract up in Pit?

Answer:

Chris Mortensen: I have it on very good Steeler authority that Grimm is not going anywhere, and they would likely not allow him to join Gibbs in Washington.

I forget and never solidly knew what the rules (and norms) are for assistant coaches -- but one possibility is that Grimm can't make a lateral move, but we might offer him a position that's at least nominally and maybe actually an advancement (offensive coordinator?), and that might either satisfy a contractual provision, or at least make the Steelers' FO look like jerks if they say no.

I forget and never solidly knew what the rules (and norms) are for assistant coaches -- but one possibility is that Grimm can't make a lateral move, but we might offer him a position that's at least nominally and maybe actually an advancement (offensive coordinator?), and that might either satisfy a contractual provision, or at least make the Steelers' FO look like jerks if they say no.

I think the standard NFL contract allows coaches to take "promotions" even if they're under contract somewhere else, but I seem to remember hearing that, as far as the NFL's concerned, there are three coaching jobs: GM, Coach, and assistant. (And all the "assistant head coach and parking lot supervisor" titles are considered the same level, as far as "promotion" is concerned.)

I think the standard NFL contract allows coaches to take "promotions" even if they're under contract somewhere else, but I seem to remember hearing that, as far as the NFL's concerned, there are three coaching jobs: GM, Coach, and assistant. (And all the "assistant head coach and parking lot supervisor" titles are considered the same level, as far as "promotion" is concerned.)

Archived