Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC News: Peloton bike 'instantly' kills New York man after severing his artery, family says in lawsuit

Cooked Crack

The family of a New York man claims he was killed by his Peloton bike just six months after buying it, but the company insists that his own negligence caused his death, according to a lawsuit filed in state court.  

Ryan Furtado, 32, was doing a “core” workout on the pricey exercise bike on Jan. 13, 2022 when he disembarked to complete a few exercises on the floor, the lawsuit states.  

When Furtado was getting up, he grabbed onto the bike to assist him, but it soon “spun around” and hit his neck and face, severing his carotid artery and “killing him instantly,” the lawsuit charges.

The lawsuit, filed in March 2023 in Brooklyn civil Supreme Court by Furtado’s mother Johanna Furtado, is several months old. But it was brought to light by the Daily Beast in an article published on Wednesday.   While at least one child was killed by Peloton’s treadmill in March 2021, Furtado’s death is the first known fatality linked to the company’s ultra-popular exercise bike.  

Shares of Peloton were down about 3% in intraday trading Thursday.  

In a statement Thursday, Peloton spokesman Ben Boyd said, “We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the Furtado family for this unfortunate accident. As a Member-first company, the health and safety of our Member community is a top priority.”

Peloton claims that it is not liable and “negligence” is to blame.  

“Upon information and belief, the incident giving rise to this action was caused by the negligence or other culpable conduct of one or more parties for which Peloton is not responsible, and, therefore, Peloton is not legally responsible,” Peloton’s response to the lawsuit, filed on April 17, states.

Sounds like a freak accident. Can't see how to hold peloton liable for this

• Sad 1

This actually reminds me of the scene in the cinematic masterpiece The Devil's Advocate where Keanu Reeves talks to Coach from Coach and is like "the facts don't make any sense, show me how this is possible."  I the movie, Coach shows him.  So I would need to see someone from the plaintiff's team grab a Peloton in such a way that it "spins around" with great force.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a Peloton, it is heavy AF.  There is no way I could grab it such that it would spin around at all, much less with sufficient force to hurt me.  

Yeah. I got one too. And two small children. So the headline certainly grabbed my attention. 

im really not understanding. It sounds to me like the wheel severed his artery? Which means it was spinning?? And it spun around to do this so he was picking himself up using the bike, from behind the bike?

I can’t even visualize how the wheel was spinning and this all happened 

If it turns out a family member murdered him with a peloton that would make more sense to me, given the description I’m currently working with 

🤷‍♂️