Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFC East - Oh it's bad. Really bad.

Brave

I've seen a few posters over the course of the season defending the East and saying it's not weak that we just beat up on each other. Uh ... no. That's the SEC you're thinking of. We are smack-dab in the middle of the worst division in football. Having the Cardinals leave next season will certainly help, but it will take more than that (hear me Tom?).

Consider:

- NFC East currently has the only divisional leader not in double-digits in victories. Not only that, but they lead the division by TWO games!

- After 14 games, the Giants at 7-7 still have a shot (though a long one) at the division title. No other 7-7 team in the league is within sniffing distance of the division lead.

- The only other division nearly as bad is the AFC West but I would say we are weaker top to bottom.

- Philly, the division leader, has lost to Arizona and Washington and could have/should have lost to the Giants and Washington a second time. There is not much difference between 1st and 4th here, with the crowd being pulled down ... not up.

that is the reason why anyone suggesting we draft a quarterback in the first round and commit ourselves to another 2-3 years of rebuilding just hasn't been paying attention.

the NFC East is up for grabs and will be again next season. The Cowboys even with their cap room have to rebuild most of their team. The Giants have some age on their team with Brown, Parker on the offensive line and Armstead, Strahan, Hamilton and Barrow all over 30 on the defense. The Eagles are the best of the lot right now, but the Redskins match up well with them and the Eagles have well-documented problems themselves in scoring on quality defenses.

The Redskins are an established quarterback and a couple of good moves in the draft away from having a contending roster talent-wise. Whether Marty is able to shepherd that group to the playoffs or not is another question that Snyder will have to answer.

But top to bottom this team has a good enough back seven on defense, a good enough running game, offensive line and special teams to be a 10-6 or 11-5 playoff team.

We are lacking skill and poise at qb, size and some youth on the DL and need to shore up with a veteran WR and perhaps a veteran S as well.

If you look at all the changes the Rams made in the offseason on defense, you can see that getting these things done is not impossible for a team that is well organized and gets to work early on the players that will become available.

if anything the question of how Marty will address the qb position and whether he will make a good decision there is the X factor.

everything else depends on that happening.

While Snyder may be able to hire a GM or personnel director under the terms of Marty's contract, the fact remains that a talented GM candidate is not going to come into a situation where there is an entrenched coach with an iron clad contract who refuses to make any changes to the staff or roster.

That is a recipe for automatic conflict and blood-letting.

Would YOU want to come into that situation?

Yup. It's horrible. The only difference between the Eagles and the Giants/Redskins is Donovan McNabb. Without him the division goes to an 8-8 team.

------------------

"Men, there's nothing to get excited about. The situation is normal; we are surrounded."

Hmmmm ... teams can't win on defense alone. I think our very own Redskins are proof of that. I never said McNabb was a world-beater, but he IS head and shoulders above any other QB in the division. You put him on the Giants or the Redskins and that team is 9-5. You take him off the Eagles and they are 7-7 at best right now. That's my point.

------------------

"Men, there's nothing to get excited about. The situation is normal; we are surrounded."

The difference between the Eagle defense and the Redskin defense is equal to the difference between McNabb and Banks? I have to strongly disagree. But you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

------------------

I'd have to lean toward henry on this one, Kilmer. McNabb hasn't seemed to play that well htis season, but his stats say otherwise.

22 TD - 11 INT - 2963 YDS - Over 50% completion

His 2-1 ration on TDs/INTs is tied with Favre and second only (barely) to Garcia. I think the Eagles' offensive problems are more the result of a less-effective running game than in years past and a Skin-like inability to score consistantly in the red-zone. That's my perception, however, so I wouldn't take that as fact.

McNabb may not be great, but looking at the rest of the QBs in this division make him look pretty good. smile.gif

Stats are misleading. The only ones that matter are points and record. Kurt Warner leads the NFC in Interceptions. Brad Johnson leads in completion percentage, yet his avg per catch is under 10 yds.

McNabb is certainly the best in the East. But to say he is the difference between the Eagles and the rest of the division is wrong IMO. Their defense makes the difference.

McNabb played very well last year. His sophomore slump does not mean he is not a player for the future. He is having normal growing pains.

McNabb is the only top shelf prospect in the division. The Redskins don't have a starting caliber NFL starter. Neither does Dallas. Jake Plummer is a mediocre player with more ups and downs than a rollercoaster. Kerry Collins had a fine year in 2000 but is not a true franchise qb either.

Without a 1,000 yard back this season Kerry has been exposed.

Wow! If Collins could only be that player he was in the NFC Championship every week the Giants would be back at 12-4. smile.gif

I suppose you could make the arguement that the Eagle defense is the best in the NFC East, but it's not really much better than Washington's, New York's, or maybe even Dallas'.

The Eagles have a nice pass rush and a solid back seven but are softer against the run than the Redskins. I'd also say the Redskins have better corners and the best LB in the division while the Eagles have better safeties and a better overall LB corps. In any case, I don't see either overall defensive team being significantly superior to the other.

On offense, the Eagles have a better TE, we have a FAR better RB and the WRs are a push (and that's being generous to Philly.) The only clear, undeniable advantage the Eagles have is McNabb over Banks. Heck, just look at the two Eagle/Redskin games. In game one, neither QB passed for over 100 yards and we won. In game two McNabb threw 2 TDs, while Banks threw two red-zone INTs, and they won. The day McNabb showed up the Eagles won. The day he didn't we won.

Doesn't get much clearer than that in my opinion.

------------------

Yup, I was attempting to show how pathetic the division is by saying McNabb was the difference between average and mediocre. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that. smile.gif

------------------

Based on records, you are right, the NFC East is the worst division this year. The fact the Giants at 7-7 have a chance at the division title I would say is bad. You know what??? I don't really care. If the Giants win the division at 9-7 and host a playoff game, I'd be happier than a pig in you know what!! You have to take what each year gives you and this is what this year is giving Giant fans. Plus, I hate the Eagles and don't want them to win the division. But, I wouldn't mind if the Eagles won the division as long as the Bucs lose tonight and the Giants win out. That would put the Giants in Philly for the wildcard weekend.

So, I guess there is only one more thing to say,

LET'S GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived