Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Spurrier fire his own son?

DeathByLinebacker

I was thinking about it today and I really can't come up with a case for keeping Jr. as the WR coach. When Spurrier came to Washington I was surprised that he brought Jr. instead of another assistant who was with him for twelve seasons at UF.

After two years I can't really point to any positive development in the WR corps. Maybe Derrius Thompson over the course of last year (although he never learned to secure the ball), but who else? Coles is the same player he was in NY, Gardner has regressed, McCants basically makes one type of catch which he was making a D-State and 2nd round pick Jacobs is nowhere to be found.

I think Spurrier pretty much has to release someone he brought from UF, but if Noah Brindise gets the ax and Jr. stays even I'll be pissed at the OBC.

Hopefully, a few of these young ex-Florida guys will pursue "new opportunities" back at the college level.

Shoot, SS Jr. should be able to get a MAC job on his name alone.

We need at least two grizzled NFL veteran coaches, one on O and one on D.

Season 1: Learned we can't win with ex-Gators only.

Season 2: Learned we can't win with ex-Gators coaches only.

Season 3: Learn how to win in the NFL or you're gone.

There's a lot of evidence to point to the fact that Spurrier's problem is that he has very inexperienced assistants, who cannot provide those aspects of coaching that he doesn't bring to the table.

There are very few coaches in this league (maybe one a decade) that can do it by themselves. All of them have blind spots that need to be addressed by their assistants. Spurrier may have a couple more blind spots than the average coach, and nobody's got his back.

In fact, it could be argued that Joe Gibbs was simply a better than average coach, with an all-pro group of assistants.

well, let's see.... Joe Gibbs had Charley Taylor as his wide receivers coach. Steve Spurrier has his 28 year old son. Joe Gibbs had Joe Bugel and Jim Hanifan as his offensive line coaches. Steve Spurrier has Kim Helton.

Yep, sounds like we are getting our money's worth out of our assistants :laugh:

Archived