Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Research indicates that even at Florida, Spurrier was overrated as a college coach

If the Skins FO had done their homework they might have seen the handwriting on the wall, and discovered that Spurrier was overrated even in college. Yes, he could trounce the Vanderbilts of the world. But against real competition -- Bobby Bowden's Florida State teams -- it seems he had a losing record of 5-8-1.

Spurrier is also credited with the "choke at Doak" game whereby Florida State trailed 31-3 and scored 28 points in the 4th quarter to salvage a tie. Hmm. Somehow that 4th quarter choke stuff, now has a familiar ring to it. :laugh:

Spurrier's record against Miami was 0-1-0. And in all bowl games -- with Duke and Florida -- he had a mediocre 6-6 record.

Is this a coach that should have been hired at $5 million dollars a year? I think not. :laugh:

Steve Spurrier vs. Bobby Bowden (5-8-1)

1990 vs. Florida State LOST 45-30

1991 Won 14-9

1992 LOST 45-24

1993 LOST 33-21

1994 Tied 31-31

Sugar Bowl LOST 23-17

1995 Won 35-24

1996 LOST 24-21

Sugar Bowl Won 52-20

1997 Won 32-29

1998 LOST 23-12

1999 LOST 30-23

2000 LOST 7-30

2001 Won 37-13

2000 vs. Miami (0-1-0) LOST 37-20

The real Florida battle: Gators vs. Seminoles

November 18, 2000

Web posted at: 12:31 PM EST (1731 GMT)

(CNN) -- Forget about the vote count. Forget about the Electoral College. Forget about the drama and the division and the various sideshows that are spinning out of the contested presidential election in Florida.

Because on this day, most people in Florida don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican. What they want to know is: Gators or Seminoles?

The University of Florida's Gators are playing Florida State University's Seminoles today in a football game that neatly divides most of the state's football fans -- and being a football fan is a residency requirement as far as many Floridians are concerned. The University of Miami contingent in South Florida will beg to differ, but for many Florida residents, this is less of a game and more of a ideological litmus test.

"I think people in the Swahili tribes in Africa are tuned into the Florida-Florida State rivalry," Florida quarterback Jesse Palmer told the St. Petersburg Times. "It's big. Families break up over this game."

And so Tallahassee -- FSU's home but also the state's capital and thus at the very center of the presidential ballot legal fight -- has been overrun with Gator and Seminole fans. They've occupied every hotel room in town, forcing the media horde to find accommodatoins far away from the courtroom and statehouse action.

These people don't want to know about hanging chads. They want to know about the arm of FSU quarterback Chris Weinke, or whether the Gators really will go with multiple quarterbacks during the game.

Florida, ranked fourth in the nation, holds a 26-16-2 lead in the overall series, but the Gators are just 4-7-1 against the third-ranked Seminoles under Steve Spurrier, who owns an overall record of 111-23-1 at the school. If the favored Seminoles win, they will close in on a chance to play for the national football championship for large colleges.

Florida State owns the nation's longest home-winning streak at 34 games, and is unbeaten in its last 51 games at Doak Campbell Stadium.

The one tie in that span was in 1994, when the Seminoles scored 28 points in the fourth quarter for a 31-31 deadlock. Depending on your allegiance, that game is known as "The Choke at Doak," or "The Rally at Tallahassee."

And how bad is the division? Friday, Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said that he enjoyed the time he occasionally spent with Florida Coach Steve Spurrier. And almost as quickly, Bowden realized the gravity of his statement.

"Forgive me, Lord," he said

Steve Spurrier's head coaching record at Florida

Season Overall SEC Bowl

1990 9-2 6-1 (1st*)

1991 10-2 7-0 (1st) Sugar: lost to Notre Dame, 39-28

1992 9-4 6-3 (2nd) Gator: Beat N.C. State, 27-10

1993 11-2 8-1 (1st) Sugar: Beat West Virginia, 41-7

1994 10-2-1 8-1 (1st) Sugar: Lost to Florida St., 23-17

1995 12-1 9-0 (1st) Sugar: Lost to Nebraska, 62-24

1996 12-1 9-0 (1st) Sugar: Beat Florida St., 52-20

1997 10-2 6-2 (3rd) Citrus: Beat Penn St., 21-6

1998 10-2 7-1 (2nd) Orange: Beat Syracuse, 31-10

1999 9-4 7-2 (2nd) Citrus: Lost to Michigan St., 37-34

2000 10-3 8-1 (1st) Sugar: Lost to Miami (Fla.), 37-27

2001 10-2 6-2 (2nd) Orange: Beat Maryland, 56-23

Totals 122-27-1 87-14 6-5 in bowls

*- ineligible for conference title

Steve Spurrier's head coaching record at Duke

Season Overall ACC Bowl

1987 5-6 2-5 (7th)

1988 7-3-1 3-3-1 (6th)

1989 8-4 6-1 (T/1st) All American: Lost to Texas Tech, 49-21

Totals 20-13-1 11-9-1 0-1 in bowls

Originally posted by gridironmike

SO if we went 122-27 over the next 10 years (not to metion 87-14 in the NFC East AND 6-5 in the playoffs which would mean at least five years of playoffs) and were only 5-8-1 against Dallas, everyone would be pissed???????????????????

You equate being invited to a college bowl with success? What a laugh. :laugh: Almost every college team with a 6-5 won-loss record now, has a shot at being invited to some bowl somewhere. It seems like there are more college teams playing IN the bowls now then OUT of the bowls. :laugh:

The name of the game in college football success is RECRUITING, and the point is that when Spurrier faced a competent team or competent head coach, his record was mediocre. And its no recruiting secret that the Florida's, Miami's and Florida State schools have an advantage in recruiting, when they can appeal to young macho men and sell the point of their regional advantages of warm weather, with beaches and palm trees, accompanied by bikini clad chics. :laugh:

But evidently you were impressed when Florida under Spurrier padded his record over the years, by whipping the likes of such patsies on their schedule as: Ball State, Middle Tennessee State, Marshall, Louisana-Monroe, Louisana-Lafayette, Georgia Southern, Central Michigan, Citadel, Central Florida, and topped it off by annihilating Vanderbilt on numerous occasions 71-13. :)

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe..... just maybe.... Spurrier's inflated record was not all it was cut out to be. :)

Inmate - is it possible you could post the Spurrier's records against Tennessee or Georgia?

In fact I was trying to figure out the name of the Tennessee QB that never beat Spurrier. Can anyone help me... Pay-a-ton, Paytun, Peyton something or other. I hear he's a mediocre QB in the NFL now.

I'm the first to admit Spurrier has been an NFL dud, but to claim he is an overrated college coach certainly explains why you'd be comfortable in a Rubber Ramada.

Originally posted by Die Hard

I've never really been into the college game.

There's only 12 games in a season... and only 3 of them are usually against ranked schools.

Any decent coach - with a good football program - should be able to go 9-3 every year.

Die Hard is absolutely right. :)

Originally posted by Bubba

Inmate, you have gone out on many a limb, but this time you have stepped out into thin air

According to Bulldog, I'm intrepid. :laugh:

I've never really been into the college game.

There's only 12 games in a season... and only 3 of them are usually against ranked schools.

Any decent coach - with a good football program - should be able to go 9-3 every year.

Not true in the SEC where as many as 7 teams have been ranked in the top 25 and 3 in the top 10 annually. Florida also plays several of their non-conference games against top notched teams as much as any school. (not counting annually playing in a top bowl game)

Also Florida each year has one of the tougher Strength of schedules. The SEC is annually the conference with the best non-conference record in the NCAA.

I realize some don't like Spurrier, but come on now..... :doh:

POST OF THE YEAR, NO DOUBT!

Where do I start .... so many counters ... must prioritize.

The two most consistent programs in college football during Spurrier's years: Florida and FSU anyway you slice it. The difference between FSU and Florida, FSU has had the same DC forever. We're not even having this discussion if Bob Stoops stayed at Florida more than 3 years.

FSU finished in the top 5 for 14 straight years, beginning in 1987 - three years before Spurrier's arrival. No other team in college football history has done that. Before Spurrier arrived, UF had won 0 SEC championships. During his tenure, they won 6-7. Two years he didn't win one, the national champion did.

I'll stop here, must control life-threatening laughter. Yeh, he hasn't shown much at DC yet, but his offense with Wuerffel for four years was just about the most productive of the century. Look it up. Last I checked, the SEC has produced more current NFL players than any other conference.

We all saw Spurrier exposed when he was beaten like a red headed step child by Tommie Frazier and Nebraska 62-24 in 1996. He got thoroughly outcoached by Tom Osborne who has proven that he is a hall of fame coach. Since he left, Nebraska has been a shell of its former self. Osborne was more authentic as a genius offensive mind than Spurrier who was all flash and unbridled hubris. His smarmy know it all attitude was bound to get him in trouble and unfortunately, Dan Snyder committed a major party foul even more egregious than hiring the Anti-Christ Deion Sanders who taunted Skins fans in the playoffs. What a joke this has been. Spurrier has been humiliated which is nice, but so have the Skins.

While I agree that FSU has given Spurrier problems, there is a reason for that.

Gator fans might not like it, but it is true.

FSU has better athletes than Florida does. It's really no contest. FSU can go 3-4 deep on it's players and lose nothing. Florida's first teamers are great and all, maybe even second teamers.

But, FSU has more talent, and more depth than any team in the nation in my opinion.

Plus FSU knew how to beat Spurrier. Blitz the hell out of him, thats how.

Originally posted by Reaganaut

We all saw Spurrier exposed when he was beaten like a red headed step child by Tommie Frazier and Nebraska 62-24 in 1996. He got thoroughly outcoached by Tom Osborne who has proven that he is a hall of fame coach. Since he left, Nebraska has been a shell of its former self. Osborne was more authentic as a genius offensive mind than Spurrier who was all flash and unbridled hubris. His smarmy know it all attitude was bound to get him in trouble and unfortunately, Dan Snyder committed a major party foul even more egregious than hiring the Anti-Christ Deion Sanders who taunted Skins fans in the playoffs. What a joke this has been. Spurrier has been humiliated which is nice, but so have the Skins.

Um, ok. Reagan, for $5, if Osborne vindicated himself as a hall of fame coach by blowing out SOS in 1996, how would you describe the coach who, THE VERY NEXT YEAR, blew out Bobby Bowden to win the national championship?

btw, inmate, i now understand your screen name.

Anyone who says a coach with an overall record of 12-20 is a good coach is a moron.

Even though he went on to future greatness

Parcells was 12-20 his first two years as head coach for the Giants.

Still a little early to rate Spurrier as a NFL head coach.

Archived