Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Let's Rebuild The Redskins" Thread

Om

Seriously, how would you go about it, starting with next Sunday (the day after we lose to the Eagles and the season is over)?

Feel free to get as detailed as you like, but please, let's try to keep this one thread a "no you moron that won't work"- free zone if we can. I'd rather see some constructive, cogent discussion ... assuming that's possible when we're all so wounded by our team's pathetic ten year cycle.

I'm working on mine, btw, and trying to keep it under 10,000 words. We'll see how that goes. ;)

Cut Ladell Betts

Draft a RB n 2nd rd or sign a young stellar RB in offseason

Hope Smith retires, if not, cut him

Let Bailey go unless we are only offered anything less than two 1st rounders for him

Figure out a contract extension to keep lavar in a redskins uniform

Fire Edwards and hire a VERY experienced NFL D-coordinator

Fire Kim Helton

Draft Kellen Winslow

Draft Sean Taylor (if we get a high 1st rounder this year for Bailey)

Sign a stellar Free Agent DT/DE in the offseason

Extend Smoot's contract as soon as possible (next season's the last in his contract)

thats about all i think we need...for now :)

Originally posted by ibrahim

Cut Ladell Betts

Let Bailey go unless we are only offered anything less than two 1st rounders for him

Fire Kim Helton

Draft Kellen Winslow

Extend Smoot's contract as soon as possible (next season's the last in his contract)

thats about all i think we need...for now :)

I couldn't have said it any better :)

Except no Winslow, like the Taylor pick though. We will not get 2 1sts for Bailey though. Maybe trade Gardner for some picks or a DLmen.

Numero uno on the list would have to be the hiring of either Tom Modrak or Tim Ruskell as GM/official head honcho.

Second would be to send Vinny Bugeyes on a one way trip to spend some time with Jimmy Hoffa. Hmmmm, maybe that should come before Numero uno on the list, but it's a classic chicken/egg thing. But, I digress.

Hire one of the many competant DCs who will be former HCs after the season.

Then, franchise and trade Bailey for a decent 1st and (hopefully) a 2nd in the 2k5 draft.

Use 1st rounder on Will Smith and the other on Taylor. With our 2nd round pick, I'd look at the best available C, TE, or RB. Same with our 3rd rounder.

That's a start anyway.:cool:

Franchise Champ and trade him. Hopefully we get a high first rounder for him. Then sign a free agent CB such as Winfield or Taylor.

Use the pick to draft Kevin Jones or Shaun Taylor.

Draft Will Smith from Ohio St.

Cut Bruce (hopefully he retires)

Re-sign Darrell Russell to a modest deal if possible.

Persue another D-lineman in free agency. If we can get one, cut either Wynn or Upshaw.

Restructure Arrington.

Shop Rod Gardner for a #1 pick.

Extend Smoot.

Beat the bushes for a center and TE.

For the love of God, cut Zeron Flemister.

Fire half the coaching staff including George Edwards and Mike Stock and especially Kim Helton.

Cut Ladell Betts

No way. He had a good year last year, and has been injured this year. I'd at least see how he pans out next year before making that decision

I'm OK with going after a FA, but no way in hell we use our 2nd round for a RB unless we have 2 first and 2 second round picks from a deal with Bailey.

If he does not retire, cut him or shoot him...

I'd take a 1st and a 2nd or even a 1st and a 3rd for him as long as they were both '04 picks

Fire Kim Helton

Yes, yes, and yes again

Draft Kellen Winslow

Only if he falls to the third round, and he won't.

Yes, yes and yes again.

I would go after a FA corner and running back unless we had a gem fall to us in the mid rounds of the draft. Outside of that, we need to draft DE and DT early. Outside of that, I wouldn't make any more changes - maybe swap Gardner out for a receiver with better hands or give DMac a shot at the #2 spot. If they are going to use the TE like the did against the Bears, we'll need to pick up one of those as well - Flemister hasn't and will not cut it.

Doesn't qualify as a 'Rebuild' because we don't need to rebuild.

1. Fix the defensive line

Let smith retire

Resign Russell

Sign Gardner to cheap one year deal with incentives

Draft a DE in first or second round (Will Smith?)

Draft a DT to develop in lower rounds

2. Fix rest of defense:

Trade Champ for a number 1 and 2 or 3

Use this pick for DB help (Taylor if its high enough)

Sign a CB in free agency (Winfield/ Bobby Taylor?)

Revamp Lavars Contract to make it more cap friendly

Draft OLB to replace Armstead in 2005

3. Coaching changes:

New OL coach (guy from Giants?)

New Defensive coordinator (Williams from Buffalo or Phillips from Atlanta)

4. Offense:

Draft a big physical RB in the lower rounds

Keep Betts, Morton, Canidate for another year

No changes in WR (bring back McCants, Johnson)

Draft or sign a legit Center

Sign vet backup QB (maybe)

Trade any of these players for draft picks or DT/DE help

Champ Bailey (1st and 2nd or 3rd)

Trotter

Wynn

Rod Gardner (get a 2nd rounder for him)

With our first rounder in the top ten select Sean Taylor. If we get another pick for chump, draft a Tommie Harris or Vince Wilfork a big body DT. If either of them are not there then I'd prefer to draft a stephen jackson or kevin jones. Filling up the DE position will be the most tricky. Hopefully go with one in the 2nd round, maybe a David Pollack. 3rd round get a TE.

Sign a vet CB if champ leaves. McAllister or Taylor would be ideal. Free agents try to get Jevon Kearse or if we can get Grant Wistrom relatively cheap that would be huge. I'm not sure what draft pick we'd have to go up for RFA Adewale from the phins but if its anything but a first that would be a steal. Free agent TE maybe a Boo Williams.

Coaching changes

Spurrier is not goin anywhere for at least another year.

Get rid of Helton, Call up Russ Grim

George Edwards will be the most interesting off season coaching move or nonmove. Its hard to say if its his coaching or players not making the plays out there.

Resigns

Resign Smoot Top Priority

Reconstructure Samuels

For this team to fill all its holes in the offseason they would need a miracle.. err wait a GM :laugh:

In order of importance

1.Resign D. Russell

2.Trade Champ for a #1 and #2 or #3

3.Sign a FA CB (Doesn't have to be a stud. A Smoot type of player)

4.Draft Will Smith and Tommy Harris (;) )

Or any combination of DE and DT (Kenechi Udeze, Marcus Tubbs, DeMarco McNeil, Vince Wilfork, David Pollack, Antwan Odom)

5.Reasons for not picking up Taylor or Winslow, is because with a dependable DL to put pressure on the QB or rushing him on every play will allow us to get more turnovers. Our Safeties and CB's have already proven that they can get int.

6.Pick up a RB to battle with Betts in training camp (No suggestions b/c I dont know any FA running backs)

1. Fire Cerrato. Fire Spurrier. Hire a GM...Modrak, Allen, someone in that mold. Allow him to pick his head coach--my choice would be Ralph Freidgen. Consider Gregg Williams or Dave McGinniaas a possible DC.

2. Franchise Champ. Entertain some trade offers that include no less than a first and third.

3. I'd go D-line in the first round--end or tackle doesn't really matter...Tommie Harris or Will Smith. If you trade Champ use the other first rounder or the 2nd rounder on a CB. Draft a solid young linebacker in the early middle rounds. Fill other holes--TE, possibly a safety.

4. Sign a young-ish free agent defensive lineman...a Robaire Smith (Titans), a Paul Grasmanis (Eagles).

5. Examine the possibility of cutting/trading Trotter (I'm not sure what kind of cap hit this would involve).

Archived