Extremeskins

Skins.com:Samuels Optimistic He'll Play Vs. Bears

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12421

Samuels Optimistic He'll Play Vs. Bears

12/18/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Left tackle Chris Samuels said Thursday that he is optimistic that he’ll be able to play in this Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears. He is officially listed as questionable for the game.

Samuels, who has a sprained knee suffered in the Week 12 game at Miami, practiced lightly on Thursday and head coach Steve Spurrier said his status for the game will be determined later this week.

“Chris didn’t do too much today [during practice at Redskin Park],” Spurrier said. “We’ll check him out later in the week and see if he can play.”

Said Samuels: “I was just out there and seeing how it feels. On Wednesday, I didn’t too much and I couldn’t really practice because we were indoors [at the Dulles SportsPlex facility in Ashburn, Va.].”

Samuels said that, despite the soreness in his knee, he is anxious to return to action, especially after last Sunday’s 27-0 loss to Dallas.

“Whenever I’m healthy, that’s when I’m going to play. That’s my job. I’m anxious to get back out there and help my teammates, especially after watching the Dallas game. I want to be out there to help my teammates.”

Extra Points

Rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan will likely not see game action unless Hasselbeck has an injury. Said Spurrier, when asked if Hamdan would receive any playing time in the final two games: “Just if it happens. We firmly believe Tim Hasselbeck gives us the best chance to win the game. So Tim’s our quarterback.”

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles sat out practice for the second day in a row with a toe injury. He is listed as probable for Sunday’s game.

Rock Cartwright is expected to draw his second consecutive start at the tailback position in the Bears game. Cartwright, John Simon and Chad Morton are expected to share the bulk of carries, Spurrier said.

The Redskins returned to their practice fields at Redskin Park on Thursday after practicing Wednesday at Dulles SportsPlex in Ashburn, Va.

Archived