Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Spurrier Tries Again To Explain Himself

TK

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1203/114473.html

Spurrier Tries Again To Explain Himself

Ashburn, Va. (AP)

spo_ppl_spurriersteve_0102.gif

Once again, Steve Spurrier revised his comments on the changes he'd like to make at the end of the season.

The Washington Redskins coach has made vague statements this week about the need to "restructure, reorganize, regroup" a team headed for a second straight losing record, and he's given his remarks a different spin each time.

On his radio show Monday, he mentioned those three Rs and wondered whether he needed to hire "fiery" assistants, prompting speculation that he will make changes to his staff. On Wednesday, he swung the pendulum the other way, using the same three Rs while saying he "never mentioned anything about changing coaches."

On Thursday, he tried to steer the story back to middle ground.

"All I was trying to say is that if there are some changes, they'd have to occur after the season," Spurrier said. "I don't even really like to talk about that. When the season's over, whatever you have to do differently, that's when you do it, not during the season. That's what I was trying to say yesterday.

"And obviously everyone sees that something different has got to happen around here, so when that time occurs, we'll let all of you know."

When it was pointed out that words such as "restructure, reorganize, regroup" seemed to imply major changes, Spurrier said: "That's after the season. Let's try to finish with what we got and do the best we can."

Spurrier is 12-18 as he approaches the end of the second year of his five-year, $25 million contract. He has said he plans to return, and owner Dan Snyder has said Spurrier will be back, but changes desired by either party could be a sticking point when they meet to review the season and plan for next year.

Spurrier has final say over his assistant coaches and could resist changes requested by Snyder. Conversely, Snyder has already let it be known that he plans to keep the current front office structure, a preemptive rebuff if the coach lobbies for a change in the way players are evaluated or obtained.

The assistants most under fire are first-year defensive coordinator George Edwards and offensive line coach Kim Helton. Several other inexperienced assistants could come under scrutiny.

Asked about his assistants Thursday, Spurrier ended by poking fun at his own overanalyzed remarks.

"We'll announce that when the time comes - if it does come," Spurrier said. "How's that for not saying anything?"

What Spurrier said yesterday doesn't mean there will not be changes, such as reassignment, new hirings, different responsibilties.. as well as firing. I have a feeling Helton will resign.

There are two games to go, what else will he say... I am going to fire some assholes, he is not going to put anymore undo stress on the players and team

I am waiting to the end of the season, and the start of camps to make judgements on off season changes.

Hey Stevey make up your mind and get some backbone while you're at it.

Spurrier is like a leaf that blows from one gutter to the next depending on the direction the wind's blowing.

"Need ta make changes to the staff...don't need any more changes the staff's doing fine...Wait 'til after the season's done with then I'll get back to ya...I'll fine the players and cut 'em if they keep making stupid penalties...I ain't gonna fine or cut em they're doing their best...I'm not gonna get on my players anymore...I'll call the plays...I'm gonna let Hue call the plays ...I'm calling the plays again...Hue and I will both call the plays...I'm gonna be the coach here for at least three years...I'm getting out of this ugly mess after the Eagles game". (yes it's wishful thinking...but tis the season).

let's see this for what it is. Nobody in the Redskins organization knows how to fix what is wrong, at least they haven't shown it to this point.

the team is 5-9 after an offseason in which they signed 11 veterans to improve a 7-9 team!

now we have to beat the Bears AND Eagles just to equal the mediocre record of 2002.

talk about running in place.

Doc Walker said tonight on Comcast that the Skins will continue to spin their wheels until a real GM, with decisionmaking authority is hired.

not to change the topic, but I have always wondered about Doc Walker, when did he become an NFL expert?

he was a back up TE for a few years. He has no real qualification on how to effectivly run an NFL team. He one of these guys who has opinions he tries to pass off as facts, yet never has any real "facts" to back his opinion. Just another Lemming that just follows what ever is the National Media platform on a subject is that week.

That's a real scathing criticism of Snyder by Doc Walker, who is usually the biggest 'Skins homer around. It will come to the point that even Jurgenson will get sick and tired of Mr. Snyder's schtick.

Though, I remain convinced that in a league of parity such as today's NFL, COACHING is the decisive factor. And good schemes and playcalling are only one part of the puzzle. Motivation and accountability is the overlooked aspect. Do the players respect the coach? Is there discipline on and off the field? Obviously, players blowing assignments every week, greeted with the occasional "oh golly" and "cangflammit" by ballcoach, doesn't bode well for accountability under this coaching staff.

what qualifications does Snyder have to run an NFL team other than an open wallet?

what qualifications does Cerrato have to be a de facto GM other than his ability to let Snyder win at raquetball?

what qualifications does Spurrier have to think he is capable of putting together a winning team in the NFL?

These 'philosophers' have no pendants, my friend :)

Is there anyone here that really thinks Snyder and Cerrato acting in concert make the Redskins competitive with the best teams in the NFL in the War Room in April and the offseason?

An old saying is that the taste of the pudding is in the eating.

Right now the pudding isn't worth putting in your mouth.

Bulldog, the emperor has no clothes. But Vinny will continue to give him "best dressed" award if it means keeping his cushy front office gig.

As much as I hate the Ravens, I do envy the professionalism of their organization. Newsome and his front office are among the best judges of talent I have ever seen. Their drafts speak for themselves.

Bulldog's right. The results are in, and they aren't pretty. Snyder and Cerrato have had a few years to build a team. Utter failure. Spurrier has had a couple years to make it work on the field. Utter failure.

What makes you think adding time to this mess will make it better? It's a shame because this is a talented young squad that could be a good team with the right leadership.

people who have been around winning teams and organizations in sports know the score in DC.

fans can cut on players who have rings and worked under HOF leadership, but it only reveals that they themselves have no clue.

they have bought into the hype, the limos and helicopters ferrying big money free agents to town while the club remains mired in mediocrity.

the slogan is always 'we'll get 'em next year when we get our ducks lined up and get some luck with our injuries', etc..........

the truth is 'tomorrow' never comes.

after going through 4 coaches in 4 years can't we finally place the blame for this mess on the one constant, Snyder? :)

there isn't anyone else left to hang it on, Dan got rid of 'em all.

he even got rid of the secretaries in the front office because they were obviously compromised by having been hired to work for John Cooke or Charley Casserly :laugh: :laugh:

Fire the secretaries!

Isn't that the first thing Bill Parcells did in Dallas last January? :evil:

If Snyder begins his offseason buffet by scarfing up the most expensive items on the menu, it should be clear to the world that he has learned nothing and cannot adapt to the realities of the NFL, in the same manner as his soulmate Spurrier couldn't.

I can just see it now.... 'SKINS SIGN SAPP TO RECORD DEAL'... 'TITANS TRADE RIGHTS TO KEARSE FOR FIRST ROUND PICK'

we have to get away from the 'quick fix', we have to win everything on a single throw of the dice mentality.

the insights about free agency forcing teams into more intermediate and less long-term planning are generally on the mark, however, you don't see Parcells or Jeff Fisher or Andy Reid or Vermeil panicking and showing desperation in their moves.

These guy show patience, calm and a confident methodology.

That carries throughout the organization.

I think the same thing is happening in Cincinnati. Lewis, as methodical and linear as a guy can be, has convinced the Bengals they can turn things around by staying on message and not wavering as adverse circumstances have come up.

Lewis was able to overcome the Corey Dillon situation and the obvious questions about what the club is going to do at quarterback with Kitna and Palmer in the future to keep these guys over .500 and in the race, despite lacking talent at some spots.

Interestingly, Snyder can't start the offseason that way. He doesn't have the cap room until he figures out what to do about Champ or gets Lavar and others to renegotiate.

That may be our saving grace. Snyder might want to go sign some over-the-hill 1996 Pro Bowler, but he can't until he massages the cap. Cutting Bruce and some of the others doesn't do much for him. He's got to attack the big contracts, and that won't happen quickly. None of the players owe him a favor.

Hehehehee. We might get our way -- a quiet offseason where the team addresses the DL and other holes with solid roleplayers, but no splashy signings or major trades.

On the other hand, if he does fix those contracts early -- or gets a fat offer for Champ -- all bets are off.

Spurrier is gone. All this charade about assistants being fired and hired is nothing but a sideshow fanned by the media.

You just have to listen to Spurrier closely. Ignore the writers and listen to Spurrier. Watch him on the sidelines. Watch his actions -- like repeatedly handing the playcalling duties to Jackson -- and watch his lack of passion during failures.

The reason he can hand the playcalling duties to Jackson, the reason for the lack of true passion, is that he's gone. He's fulfilling his duty to coach the team to the end of the season, with as little melodrama over coaching changes as possible. His vagueness is a defense -- not because he doesn't know what he wants to do, but because to voice his decision would destroy what remained of the team.

For Spurrier, there are but two more games and $15 million on the clock. That's it. It's not about legacy, about next year, but just getting through two more games with a semblance of grace, and not blowing his chance at $15 million more.

Let it ride, folks. Two more games, and then we can talk about next year.

Talk about Helton and Edwards is like counting angels on a pin, or watching dandelion blossoms blowing in the wind.

:cheers:

Archived