Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins.com:Quotes From Redskin Park: Dec. 8

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12370

Quotes From Redskin Park: Dec. 8

12/08/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

On the injuries suffered in yesterday’s 20-7 victory over the New York Giants at Giants Stadium:

“Ladell Betts (RB, #46) got his forearm hit again, and he may not play this week. I think we’re going to hold him through practice. I don’t know if he’s going to be able to play or not. Trung Canidate (RB, #30) re-injured his foot. Larry Moore (OL, #50) still has a bad foot. He’s not supposed to practice. LaVar Arrington (LB, #56) had a knee and ankle sprain in the game, but, of course, he came back in and finished it up. He iced it on the train all the way back to D.C. He finished the game with a sore knee and ankle.”

On placing Patrick Ramsey (QB, #11) on the injured reserve list due to his foot injury:

“We decided to go ahead and put Patrick Ramsey on injured reserve. The doctors feel like he’s not going to be able to play these last three games. We felt like the surgery is inevitable, and they may do it some day this week. So, that’s what we’re going to do with Patrick—go ahead and get that foot well and let him start rehabilitating it and getting healthy as soon as possible. He’ll be out for the rest of the year. This seems to be the best thing for Patrick. These games are important, but they maybe aren’t quite as important as they would be if we were in the hunt for the playoffs, of course. We felt like we need to get him well.”

On whether there was hesitation in making the decision to end Ramsey’s season:

“We have been hesitating for the last two or three weeks. The doctors just felt like we have to eventually do it and it’s not going to get any better, so they made the decision that it was time to go get that surgery done.”

On the Redskins’ quarterback situation for the remaining three games:

“Tim Hasselbeck (QB, #8) is our quarterback, who is certainly playing well. He’s a very smart young man who has come in and done an excellent job. Hopefully we can keep him healthy these next three games. If not, Gibran Hamdan (QB, #12) is next in line.”

On the play of Bernard Holsey (DL, #90) against the Giants:

“I do want to mention one other player who doesn’t get much credit around here, who had a heck of a game against the Giants, and we’re probably going to give him a game ball come Wednesday when the team gets together: Bernard Holsey. Bernard made tackles all over the place. He was hustling around playing his assignment probably as well as anybody on the team.”

On how the team played against the Giants and what he expects against the Dallas Cowboys this coming Sunday:

“We played pretty well. I’m not going to say we played one of our best games of the year, but we did play efficiently as far as the turnovers. We had none and got three. We maximized our scoring chances. The Giants were down there two or three times, had turnovers, missed a field goal and just got seven points. I’m proud of our guys, and we’re looking forward to the Dallas game this week to see if we can play better than how we played [against the Giants] and play against a team that looks like it’s heading toward the playoffs. It will be a much bigger challenge this week.”

On how he evaluates Patrick Ramsey’s (QB, #11) second year in the NFL:

“I don’t know if I can answer that right now. Patrick played well in a lot of games this year. Obviously, his foot was bothering him some. When he set up, it seemed like he was not able to set and throw as well later in the year. Patrick had a good second year.”

On Patrick Ramsey (QB, #11) and Tim Hasselbeck (QB, #8), and whether Hasselbeck could be the starter next year:

“Patrick is our quarterback. We feel confident that we’ve got a reliable player now in Tim Hasselbeck. I don’t know if we had that feeling earlier in the season. We feel like now we’ve got two players who are very, very capable of leading our team. But, Patrick is our quarterback and we want him to get that foot well. When he comes back, in all likelihood, he’ll be our starter when that occurs. There’s always a chance [that Hasselbeck could supplant Ramsey as the starting quarterback next year by performing well]. Anything can happen. Right now, we don’t anticipate that. We anticipate, Patrick, when he comes back, being our starter.”

On the possibility of acquiring another quarterback in Ramsey’s absence:

“We may pick up a third quarterback today to put on the practice squad, just in case of injuries during the last three games.”

On the status of Trung Canidate (RB, #30):

“He’s got a foot/ankle sprain. He’s not going to practice Wednesday. Now, whether or not he’ll be able to go Thursday or Friday, we’ll wait and see.”

On the back-up running back situation considering the numerous injuries the Redskins have suffered at the position:

“There’s a chance we’re going to get John Simon (RB, #45) ready to play this week. John has been with us and played against Miami. With Ladell out and possibly Trung out, this may be a good opportunity for John Simon to play quite a bit this week.”

On the status of LaVar Arrington (LB, #56):

“It will keep him out of practice for a day or so. Knowing LaVar, I think he’ll ice it up during the week and be ready to go Sunday. I don’t think he’ll want to miss a game with the Cowboys.”

On the biggest motivating factor in the remaining three games:

“The motivating factor in every game is to try to walk off of the field a winner. They’re keeping score today, and you’re going to be a winner or a loser. To me, that’s the biggest motivating factor—to compete as hard as you can to win the game.”

On the play of Tim Hasselbeck (QB, #8) and the offense yesterday:

“It’s about what we expected. What I was really proud of the offensive guys for was taking care of the ball. That was a bitter, cold, windy day up there if you were down on the field. The Giants didn’t handle it quite as well as we did. The running backs held the ball. The receivers made some remarkable catches during the course of the game. Tim sort of got it there. When he threw it, it would sort of flutter around and do some funny things in the wind. That was one area [that caused us to] win the game—we were very efficient in taking care of the ball. We made a few third downs along the way. Certainly, that’s always helpful. Tim made some nice throws here and there.”

On Tim Hasselbeck (QB, #8) throwing quickly and not looking downfield for the big play:

“We haven’t been taking a lot of seven-step drops and checking the field out as much as we did back then. He’s getting it out quickly, but most of the passes we’re calling now call for a quick throw.”

On the status of Chris Samuels (#60):

“Right now, Chris is not practicing with his knee sprain. He has missed two games, so we’ll see where he is later in the week. He is to begin jogging later in the week. There’s a chance he could be back [for Dallas on Sunday].”

On whether there is a lack of urgency to get Chris Samuels healthy given the good play of Brandon Winey (OL, #68) :

“No, we’ll get him back if he’s ready to play. If he’s healthy, we’ll play him and start him. I don’t think Brandon is at the level of Chris Samuels. Chris Samuels certainly has the ability, and usually is one of the best in the league. Like all of our players, we’ve had some moments that aren’t our best, but he certainly is one of the best left tackles around.”

On the upcoming game against the Dallas Cowboys:

“It’s Cowboys Week. It should be a full house. Hopefully we can give our fans something to yell about this week.”

Well, no doubt about the respect S.S. has for Lavar, ( how could you not?). Lavar said today that he would play in the Dallas game with one leg. S.S. also pretty much takes care of the potential of a QB controversy. And of course this, in light of recent threads here on Extreme.

On whether there is a lack of urgency to get Chris Samuels healthy given the good play of Brandon Winey (OL, #68) :

“No, we’ll get him back if he’s ready to play. If he’s healthy, we’ll play him and start him. I don’t think Brandon is at the level of Chris Samuels. Chris Samuels certainly has the ability, and usually is one of the best in the league. Like all of our players, we’ve had some moments that aren’t our best, but he certainly is one of the best left tackles around.”

K...thinking he's qualified for that view point.

:cheers:

Man. You gotta love your coach giving you crdit when credi isn't really due. Holsey deserved it, but Samuels? THere were some post gamequotes where he kissed Trotters a*s. Ithink SOS is trying his damndest to keep this team togeher ging into next year no matter what hapopens.......

Archived