Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Giants banged up O line gets shuffled again

TK

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/7406015.htm

Giants banged up O line gets shuffled again

TOM CANAVAN

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Giants will shuffle their injury-marred offensive line for the sixth time this season before facing the Washington Redskins Sunday.

A season-ending knee injury to rookie guard Wayne Lucier and left tackle Luke Petitgout's recurring back problems have the potential to make this latest move a major one.

Barring further injury, Chris Bober will start at center and rookie David Diehl will be the right guard.

The rest of the lineup is uncertain.

Free agent Scott Peters replaced Lucier at left guard and he probably will start there Sunday when the Giants (4-8) and Redskins (4-8) meet in a meaningless game at Giants Stadium.

The tackle positions are uncertain and depend on Petitgout, who was sidelined against Buffalo on Sunday because of back spasms.

Petitgout has been bothered by a disc problem all season. It forced him to miss most of the season opener and the second game of the season.

Giants coach Jim Fassel said Petitgout is feeling better but that's no guarantee he will play.

There also is no guarantee that Jeff Roehl will start for Petitgout again this week. He played poorly in a game in which the Bills has six sacks.

That could open the door for second-year tackle Jeff Hatch. The third-round draft choice missed his rookie season with a back injury, and now might be the time to see what he can do.

If Fassel elects to use Hatch, he will have to decide whether to play him on the left or right side.

Ian Allen has started at right tackle the last six games, but coaches tend to put their most experienced tackle on the left side.

Quarterback Kerry Collins laughed about playing behind another new offensive line in a season he has taken a beating.

"I've been doing this for the whole season," Collins said.

Most of the players involved didn't want to discuss the lineup.

"Nothing is guaranteed," said Hatch, who has yet to play an NFL down despite being active for five games this season. "There is a potential that I might get the opportunity, but who knows."

If Hatch plays, there is a chance he might go against Redskins backup defensive end Bruce Smith, who will surpass Reggie White as the NFL's all-time sack leader with his next sack.

Hatch laughed when asked if he would guarantee that Smith wouldn't get a sack.

"You're crazy?" the former University of Pennsylvania product said. "Are you kidding me? He is a great football player. That's the extent of my answer."

The offense, and the line in particular, has struggled the past two weeks, gaining 212 yards against Tampa Bay and 222 against Buffalo. Collins has been sacked nine times in those games and the offense has turned the ball over five times.

"You have to encourage them every step of the way, starting today and going all the way through Sunday," halfback Tiki Barber said of the line. "There is going to come a time when one of them is going to make a mistake or do something to hurt the team. You can't let that affect them."

Fassel plans to simplify the protection packages to the fewest the Giants have used this season.

Peters isn't worried. The former Philadelphia Eagles draft pick who was cut in training camp because of an injury sees this week as an opportunity.

"Blocking is just a matter of physically doing it, and this week is huge for me," Peters said. "When you get the chance you have to take advantage of it."

Archived