Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Pilot:Spurrier apologizes to Redskins fans

TK

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=62767&ran=47375

Spurrier apologizes to Redskins fans

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot

© November 25, 2003

Steve Spurrier knows that with five weeks left in the regular season and his team hopelessly out of the playoff hunt, finger-pointing season is about to open.

And the Washington Redskins’ coach says he wants them pointed at him.

“I apologize to Redskins fans that our team has not achieved what we thought it was capable of this year,” Spurrier said as he dissected Washington’s 24-23 loss at Miami, the team’s fifth in its last six games. “If anybody deserves the blame, it’s me. I’m the head coach. I’m 4-7.”

Without saying so, Spurrier described the one-point loss to the Dolphins as another in a series of games in which his team plays well for three quarters, then falls on its face. Against Miami, the Redskins owned a 13-point lead at the start of the fourth quarter, but couldn’t hold it.

“We’re not an assignment-sound team,” Spurrier said, meaning that his players don’t consistently enact their assignments. “That’s why we’ve lost so many close games.

One, two mistakes here and there is all it takes. If you want to blame somebody, blame me. As head coach, I have not gotten our guys to be as assignment conscious as they need to be.

“We didn’t play with enough discipline or effort the entire night, didn’t make it happen, didn’t finish the game. It’s disappointing.

“Most of time we’re good, but in crucial situations ... ”

Spurrier knew which door he’d opened with that remark — the one leading to his staff — and he immediately sought to slam it shut.

“Our assistant coaches are an excellent group,” he said. “Nobody in the league spends more time and effort trying to put our players in position to make plays than they do.”

At 4-7, the Redskins trail Dallas, Philadelphia, Carolina, New Orleans, Minnesota, Green Bay, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco and the winner of Monday night’s game between the Giants and Buccaneers in the race for six NFL playoffs spots.

Spurrier called his team’s playoff hopes “very, very unrealistic,” and said he told the players after Sunday’s game that they should dedicate themselves to “winning one for the fans” this week against New Orleans.

For the first time since becoming coach after the 2001 season, Spurrier also scratched at the media when asked which players failed to carry out assignments.

“I don’t think you guys watch the game as much as you should,” Spurrier said. “You guys watch the game, watch the replay. Call it like you see it.

“A guy messed up, write it. That’s not for me to say. Coaches are not responsible to come out and criticize players. We can’t do that.

“It’s the job of media to call it like you see it. If you’re wrong, you’re wrong. I don’t think you do that. “Blame me. Blame the coach. That’s the way these things usually go.”

NOTES: If Spurrier is right: QB Patrick Ramsey will need offseason surgery on his right foot to fix the damage done by a bruise that sits atop an old fracture of the fifth metatarsal. Team doctors have told Spurrier the procedure will be performed right after the season, and that Ramsey can do no further damage by playing. As for his status for Sunday, that won’t be decided until late in the week. Ramsey suffered a mild concussion in the first quarter Sunday when his neck was jammed into the ground by two Miami linemen. “If he says, 'Coach I’m ready to play,’ he’ll be our guy and away we’ll go,” Spurrier said. ... One reason backup QB Tim Hasselbeck was so successful was that the Redskins didn’t call a single audible. That figures to change once Hasselbeck has had another week of practice. “Tim earned the respect of his team and coaches last night,” Spurrier said. ... OT Chris Samuels has a sprained knee and will miss Sunday’s game. Brandon Winey will replace him. Others injured against Miami were WRs Taylor Jacobs and Darnerien McCants (knees) and S Andre Lott (sprained ankle) ... DT Jermaine Haley was placed on injured reserve and is out for the rest of the season after having surgery on his fractured thumb. ... RB Ladell Betts (fractured forearm) has been cleared for limited practice this week and should play against the Saints. C Larry Moore (foot) remains out.

Archived