WP:Edwards, Flailing Defense Are Under Scrutiny

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11484-2003Nov24.html

Redskins Notebook

Edwards, Flailing Defense Are Under Scrutiny

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 25, 2003; Page D06

While several NFL sources said they expect the Washington Redskins to give serious consideration to replacing defensive coordinator George Edwards in the offseason, Coach Steve Spurrier defended his assistant coaches yesterday. But Spurrier declined to publicly assess Edwards's performance and said he would not discuss his plans for next season until after this season.

"At the end of the season, we'll talk about what's happening next year," Spurrier said.

The long-term job security of Edwards and offensive line coach Kim Helton has seemed tenuous for weeks. Edwards is a first-time coordinator who inherited a defense that ranked fifth in the NFL last season from Marvin Lewis, who left the Redskins in January to become the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. The Redskins rank 26th in the NFL in total defense and have failed to hold fourth-quarter leads in each of their last two games. They squandered a 23-10 advantage in the final 11 minutes of Sunday night's 24-23 defeat at Miami.

There is growing sentiment both inside and outside the organization that Edwards is too inexperienced for the job. Spurrier handed the job to Edwards, who played for him at Duke and coached for him at the University of Florida and spent five seasons as a linebackers coach in the NFL, immediately after Lewis departed. Asked yesterday about Edwards's performance, Spurrier said: "I'm not going to do that publicly."

But Spurrier defended his coaching staff, which has the least NFL coaching experience of any staff in the league.

"Our assistant coaches are an excellent group," Spurrier said. "They put in as much time trying to put players in position to make plays as any group in the NFL."

Spurrier said the team's players continue to ignore their assignments too often. He issued a public apology to the club's fans for the Redskins' 4-7 record and said he's willing to accept the bulk of the criticism. "If anybody deserves most of the blame, it's me," he said.

Edwards spent much of the day in his office at Redskins Park and did not respond to a telephone message. Middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said he believes Edwards deserves another chance.

"I wouldn't say he's over his head," Trotter said. "George is young. He's in his first year as a coordinator. You're going to have some tough times. . . . He's doing a good job. We need to do more to help him out."

Smith Sounds Off

On the day after he tied Reggie White's NFL career sacks record, defensive end Bruce Smith again expressed frustration with his recent lack of playing time. Smith said he discussed the matter with owner Daniel Snyder in the locker room after the game Sunday. Smith said Snyder was sympathetic, but observers said Snyder appeared irritated as he walked briskly from his conversation with Smith late Sunday night.

"I can't help this team to win if I'm not on the field," Smith said. "This is not a selfish statement: I want to help this team win. Being on the sideline, my hands are tied. I think Mr. Snyder was also a little disappointed with that when I talked to him. I'm at a loss for words."

Smith has played the Redskins' last four games as a reserve, and said last week that he would be satisfied serving as a backup only if the team is winning.

"How do you lose when it's 23-10 in the fourth quarter? We found a way to screw it up," Smith said. "That's just unbelievable. . . . Even if the [sack record] had been broken, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it. I want to win. That's the only aspect in which I'm selfish." . . .

The Redskins placed defensive tackle Jermaine Haley on the injured reserve list, ending his season. He is scheduled to undergo surgery for a thumb injury, Spurrier said. The team signed tackle Kenyatta Jones, a former starter for the New England Patriots, who was released last month. He had been sidelined after undergoing surgery on both knees and had been arrested on an assault charge. . . . Wide receiver Darnerien McCants was on crutches yesterday and underwent an MRI exam on his knee, but Spurrier described the injury as a contusion. Rookie wideout Taylor Jacobs said his knee sprain wasn't serious. Tailback Ladell Betts should be cleared to play this week after missing four games because of a fractured left forearm, Spurrier said. . . . The starting time of the Dec. 14 game against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field was changed from 1 p.m. to 4:15 for national television considerations.

post-1882-13611901365659_thumb.jpg

" The team signed tackle Kenyatta Jones, a former starter for the New England Patriots, who was released last month. He had been sidelined after undergoing surgery on both knees and had been arrested on an assault charge". . . Looks like we found Darrell Russell's roommate.

but observers said Snyder appeared irritated as he walked briskly from his conversation with Smith late Sunday night.

Sounds like Dan realizes the best player must be on the field, and will CONTINUE to stay out of these matters. Now if the guy with 19 years in the league would catch on, have a little class about his decline in play, and take it like a man.

Dear God, please let Bruce get his sack this week. Our coaches are too nice to bench him permenantly prior to that time.............SHMUCKS :doh:

I for one can't wait for Bruce to go. Great, he finally ties the record.......too bad it took him four more years to get the same number of sacks that Reggie White did.

Impressive? Or just afraid to move on?

I bet he's gonna be saying some interesting things about the Skins next year when he's on some show as a commentator.

Our defense is extremely undisciplined. From LaVar not covering the Giants fullback, to Champ not covering the Buffalo WR, to Dallas *saving* their misdirection play for us until they needed a big first down, knowing they'd get it, to terrible pursuit angles, to guys attacking the wrong hole, it's really embarassing.

I was okay with it at first, as I thought everyone was just getting acclimated, but it appears Edwards was too busy trying to accomodate everyone instead of demanding proper discipline. Sure, everyone though Marvin Lewis was an ***hole, but he got the job done with about the same group of players.

I want Edwards to stay, but buddy-buddy time is done. You're the coach, YOU tell THEM what to do.

I would have to agree....granted you would like your players to like the coaches....but respecting a coach is much more important and this is the aspect that the defense hasn't figured out. I don't mean to sound that the players don't respect Edwards as a coach...but they clearly don't respect his judgement as far as following assignments, playing your responsabilities and following them to a T. Part of this has to do with allowing his player to much ability to make their own choices. It seemed like a good idea when we were winning....but we've seen time and again players trying to make the big plays, but end up getting burned on the other end. Problem with this to is that its not just the players fault, its the coaches as well because he let the player do it. I know some have been critical of him even beening given the job of defense of coordinator, but thats how people move up in the league and don't have a problem giving the guy a shot. Unfortunately we've time and time again see the same mistakes being made over and over and seemingly go uncorrected....and this is the part that can't be allowed. Thats why for my money I really think you need to bring in someone else who can be a d!ck, or require strict discipline.....but the players full repsect in the plays they call and know if they screw up their assignments there will be hell to pay.

On the day after he tied Reggie White's NFL career sacks record, defensive end Bruce Smith again expressed frustration with his recent lack of playing time. Smith said he discussed the matter with owner Daniel Snyder in the locker room after the game Sunday. Smith said Snyder was sympathetic, but observers said Snyder appeared irritated as he walked briskly from his conversation with Smith late Sunday night.

"I can't help this team to win if I'm not on the field," Smith said. "This is not a selfish statement: I want to help this team win. Being on the sideline, my hands are tied. I think Mr. Snyder was also a little disappointed with that when I talked to him. I'm at a loss for words."

I wish this team had the balls to dump Smith now. They don't/won't, so in the alternative, I hope the team cuts him immediately after the game in which he breaks the record.

BTW, this is what happens when your owner takes a front row seat in player personnel decisions. The players feel like they have the right to go over the coaching staff's head and approach him with complaints.

"How do you lose when it's 23-10 in the fourth quarter? We found a way to screw it up," Smith said. "That's just unbelievable. . . . Even if the [sack record] had been broken, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it. I want to win. That's the only aspect in which I'm selfish." . . .

NO ONE GIVES A FLYING F_CK ABOUT YOU AND YOUR F_CKING PU$$Y RECORD ANYMORE, D!PSH!T!!! QUIT SUCKING SNYDER'S

D!CK AND GET THE HELL AWAY FROM OUR BALLCLUB!!!!!!!!!

Archived