Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Spurrier apologizes for season

TK

http://www.sunspot.net/sports/football/bal-spurrier24,0,4849839.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Spurrier apologizes for season

Redskins are 4-7 after loss to Dolphins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Joseph White

The Associated Press

Originally published November 24, 2003, 6:56 PM EST

ASHBURN, Va. - Conceding the playoffs as "very, very unrealistic," Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier defended his assistant coaches on Monday and said Patrick Ramsey will remain the starting quarterback if healthy.

Spurrier also announced that left tackle Chris Samuels will miss Sunday's game against New Orleans with a knee injury and that defensive tackle Jermaine Haley won't play again this season because of a thumb injury. Ramsey's status for the Saints game is uncertain because of an ailing foot.

"I apologize to the Redskins fans out there that our team has not achieved what I thought we were capable of this year," Spurrier said. "If anybody deserves most of the blame, it should be me. Our assistant coaches are an excellent group, and I can assure you they put in as much time and effort trying to put our players in position to make plays as I think any staff in the NFL.

"It seems like we struggled putting our players in position as far as them carrying out their assignments. We're not an assignment team as well as we need to be to win close games, it's as simple as that. ... Playoffs are very, very unrealistic right now. But we're going to play out the season with our best players and try to win every game we play."

The assistant coach most likely to be under fire is defensive coordinator George Edwards, who has seen the defense drop from fifth to 26th in the NFL rankings since taking over from Marvin Lewis this season.

The Redskins (4-7), losers of six of their last seven, have allowed two long scoring drives in the fourth quarter of each of the last two games, including two touchdowns to blow a 13-point lead in Sunday night's 24-23 loss at Miami.

"I wouldn't say he's in over his head," middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said. "George is young. This is his first year as a coordinator. It's a big difference. It's like me coming from college to the NFL. You're going to have some tough times. He's still getting adjusted to being a coordinator, making all the calls and stuff."

Spurrier's offense also gets much of the blame for the collapse. Game after game, the Redskins have settled for field goals after getting great field position. Of the last 11 turnovers forced by the defense, the offense has scored just one touchdown. Against the Dolphins, three turnovers were converted into two field goals.

"When the defense puts the ball on the 5-yard line, you've got to score," Trotter said. "Very seldom does three points win you the ball game."

So there are plenty of reasons for Spurrier to proclaim "we're all losers now," as he did after Sunday's game, especially after the team felt it should have been celebrating an emotional win behind backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck.

Hasselbeck, who had thrown just three passes in his NFL career, completed 15 of 30 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown after Ramsey left with a mild concussion in the first quarter.

Spurrier praised Hasselbeck but said Ramsey remains the No. 1 quarterback. But Ramsey barely made the Miami start because of a flare-up of an old fracture in his right foot, and he limped out of Redskins Park again on Monday. He won't be cleared for practice Wednesday, and Spurrier confirmed that the foot will require surgery in the offseason.

"My desire is to play and play for the remainder of the season," Ramsey said. "Whether reality holds up with that, we'll find out. But I think for the most part, I can finish out."

Samuels, a two-time Pro Bowl tackle Samuels sprained his right knee against the Dolphins and will miss one or two games, pending results from an MRI on Tuesday. First-year player Brandon Winey will make his first NFL start against the Saints.

Haley was placed on injured reserve Monday, having already missed five games because of a thumb injury that needs surgery. It's the latest blow for a thin defensive line that has struggled to replace preseason losses Brandon Noble (knee injury) and Dan Wilkinson (salary cap cut).

While he defended his assistants and took some blame himself, Spurrier practically invited reporters to criticize his players -because it's something he doesn't like to do.

"Call it like you see it," he said. "If some guy messed up, write it. It's not for me to say. Coaches are not responsible to come out and criticize players; we can't do that. ... That's just a suggestion. I know you're not going to do it. So blame me. Blame the coaches. That's the way it usually occurs."

Notes: RB Ladell Betts, who has missed three games with a broken arm, is expected back for the Saints game. ... CB Andre Lott (ankle) and C Larry Moore (foot) will be out another week. ... Less certain are WRs Darnerien McCants (bruised knee) and Taylor Jacobs (sprained knee).

A couple of thoughts.....

Its hard for me to understand how a thumb injury knocks somebody out for the season. I mean, Dexter Manley would've amputated the damn thing in his garage and kept on keeping on? Anyone have more info on that???

Secondly, if Ramsey's injury is bad enough to require surgery, why in the hell would you even consider playing him now? I think you could even make the argument to go ahead and end his season now, get the surgery over with, so we can guarantee he's 100% healthy to start next season. We are DONE for this year. I just don't understand why they'd screw around and risk his health even farther. If that body slam last night wasn't a wake up call as to the damage an immobile Ramsey can suffer, I don't know what it'll take. Keep him off the damn field and get that foot fixed!

Apology accepted Steve.

He's fixed most of the problems, the past few weeks we have seen very few offensive penalties, and they've been doing a better job against the blitz. That means they are doing the right things to fix the problems. You people can say what you want but Spurrier is a damn good football coach. And will be a damn good football coach in the NFL.

Ending his season and getting Ramsey on the operating table now makes the most sense. This season is lost, it is in the team's best interest for Ramsey to have as much time to heal as possible. The off-season isn't all that long and a foot injury can take a long time to heal.

I know you guys might think I'm crazy, but this season isn't over, and I don't expect the players to play like the season is over either. We still have yet to play the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants the second time around, so don't close the book on the season yet. We just need to win out. I know this is highly unlikely, but it is very posible. If you think about it, we are only a few plays from being 9-2. We have just had alot and I mean alot of bad luck this year. Now, if we lose another division game, then we can concede that the season is over.

Originally posted by great28

I know you guys might think I'm crazy, but this season isn't over, and I don't expect the players to play like the season is over either. We still have yet to play the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants the second time around, so don't close the book on the season yet. We just need to win out. I know this is highly unlikely, but it is very posible. If you think about it, we are only a few plays from being 9-2. We have just had alot and I mean alot of bad luck this year. Now, if we lose another division game, then we can concede that the season is over.

:rotflmao:

Originally posted by Chief skin

The head coach in so many words admitted we are cooked, I think he had better rethink his position on his assistants. Acouple of assistants need to be shown the door

My thought exactly! My first reaction after reading the article was , "Crap, does that mean we will have Helton around next year?"

Originally posted by Chief skin

Yeah all we ever do is utter the mantra, wait until next year and next year is just another disappointing year how the he11 long is this going to go on. Hey the Bengals, the phucking Bengals are playing better ball then us

In an incredibly WEAK division. Yes they beat the Chiefs, but as they say "A blind squirrel......"

The Bengals wouldn't last two seconds in the NFC East, much less the NFC.

On another note: Holy $hit!!, this is my 1000th post:D :cool:

Originally posted by Tarhog

Secondly, if Ramsey's injury is bad enough to require surgery, why in the hell would you even consider playing him now? I think you could even make the argument to go ahead and end his season now, get the surgery over with, so we can guarantee he's 100% healthy to start next season. We are DONE for this year. I just don't understand why they'd screw around and risk his health even farther. If that body slam last night wasn't a wake up call as to the damage an immobile Ramsey can suffer, I don't know what it'll take. Keep him off the damn field and get that foot fixed!

I totally agree now that we're at 4-7. Let's get him an extra 5 weeks of rehab time while we're at it. A foot injury sets all training on hold while it heals, so better to start early.

Well.

Let me say this- I have been really, really impressed w/ Spurrier these past few weeks...not in his actual scheming of offenses, but in his humble disposition.

I gather that OBC was a very arrogant college coach, hitting the competitve ceiling a few years back. It's only natural I guess.

But, things have changed as of late, and it's mostly Spurrier's demeanor.

It really started w/ him stepping aside from play-calling duties, or 'benching himself.' This was a huge step...that was a big pill to swallow for him.

And now, we find OBC making a public apology, showing his human character. Wow. That's almost unbelievable.

This reminds me of a quote I recently heard 'You learn the most when you admit you know nothing.'

Gentlemen (and blondie!)...OBC is well on his way to being an NFL coach.

Just watch Spurrier open up a can of whupass on N'awlins.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Well.

Let me say this- I have been really, really impressed w/ Spurrier these past few weeks...not in his actual scheming of offenses, but in his humble disposition.

I gather that OBC was a very arrogant college coach, hitting the competitve ceiling a few years back. It's only natural I guess.

But, things have changed as of late, and it's mostly Spurrier's demeanor.

It really started w/ him stepping aside from play-calling duties, or 'benching himself.' This was a huge step...that was a big pill to swallow for him.

And now, we find OBC making a public apology, showing his human character. Wow. That's almost unbelievable.

This reminds me of a quote I recently heard 'You learn the most when you admit you know nothing.'

Gentlemen (and blondie!)...OBC is well on his way to being an NFL coach.

Just watch Spurrier open up a can of whupass on N'awlins.

He essentially said:

'What we do...aw hell...it DOESN'T work' :laugh:

Originally posted by Skins26

Apology accepted Steve.

He's fixed most of the problems, the past few weeks we have seen very few offensive penalties, and they've been doing a better job against the blitz. That means they are doing the right things to fix the problems. You people can say what you want but Spurrier is a damn good football coach. And will be a damn good football coach in the NFL.

PROPS TO YOU FOR SAYING THAT

Originally posted by Yomar

Ending his season and getting Ramsey on the operating table now makes the most sense. This season is lost, it is in the team's best interest for Ramsey to have as much time to heal as possible. The off-season isn't all that long and a foot injury can take a long time to heal.

Agree 100%

Archived