Extremeskins

Skins.com:Ramsey's Status For This Week Uncertain

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12298

Ramsey's Status For This Week Uncertain

11/24/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey may sit out at least one practice this week as he rests his ailing right foot. Head coach Steve Spurrier said on Monday that he may have to wait until midweek to determine if Ramsey is well enough to play in next Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints.

“Patrick’s foot was bothering him again Monday,” Spurrier said. “In Sunday’s game, he sort of got his head [pushed] into the ground in the first quarter and that’s the reason he had to come out.

"But his foot problem is something that’s really bothering him to the point where he cannot practice during the week. That hurts him also, not being able to take all the snaps in practice.”

Ramsey told reporters on Monday that he is hopeful to play against New Orleans at FedExField this Sunday.

Ramsey emphasized that he does not want to sit out any length of time to rest his foot, which has a bone bruise that has flared up in recent weeks.

“I want to compete and win every game, and every rep I get is beneficial,” he said.

Added Spurrier: “We’ll base that on what the team doctors tell us and how Patrick feels as far as his physical condition. If he says, ‘Coach, I’m ready to play,’ then he’ll be our guy and away we’ll go. But if he’s hurting a bit, then we have a lot of confidence in Tim Hasselbeck as our backup.”

Ramsey entered Sunday’s game at Miami—a 24-23 loss for the Redskins—as a question mark as to whether he would start or not. He has a bone bruise in his right foot—the result of an old injury that has flared up in recent weeks.

Ramsey said after the game that his right foot was sore. He expects it to be sore for the remainder of the season.

Meantime, the concussion happened on a play in the first quarter when Miami defensive ends Jason Taylor and Jay Williams converged on Ramsey. Taylor was credited with the sack, but both players pushed Ramsey hard to the ground. He landed on his right shoulder but was diagnosed with a mild concussion.

“I was just shaken up on the play, the hit,” Ramsey said. “I was just a little woozy. I felt like I would hinder us more than help us if I stayed in the game. It’s happening at such a speed that you really have to be on top of it.”

Ramsey was able to throw an underhanded pass toward the sideline, but the whistle had already blown.

“I didn’t even know it was underhanded,” he said. “I was just trying to throw it out of bounds. I just saw somebody over there and I tried to throw it over his head.”

For the game, Ramsey was 1-of-4 for seven yards. He gave way to Tim Hasselbeck, who had a solid showing in his first extended action in the NFL. Hasselbeck was 15-of-30 for 150 yards and one touchdown.

Ramsey said after the game he was restless on the sidelines, even though he knew it appeared unlikely that he would get back into the game.

“It was the first time I’d been a spectator in a while,” he said. “Tim did a great job, but it’s not something I enjoy doing, especially when my teammates are out there.”

Looking back, not to complain or anything,

but does anyone else think that was roughing the passer, I know it was a sack, but they call that anyway sometimes when you do unnessasary things such as the ole Jason Taylor throat tackle??

And a ref did throw a flag, but he picked it up without explaining why.

Archived