Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: Carrier Will Receive $7 Million in Tax Breaks to Keep Jobs in Indiana

alexey

On 1/4/2017 at 0:53 AM, Larry said:

While I really want to be cynical about this story (in lots of ways), I also have to wonder:  

Has the election of Trump caused companies like this to consider the PR to be a factor, even if a small one, in making decisions like this one?  

Might this be a good sign, even if one that's pretty much impossible to quantify?  

Those are good questions, but want to add: "insourcing" has started becoming a thing because overseas quality hasn't improved much but labor rates have started climbing and it the benefit of outsourcing has started to decline. This started years ago. It's not in a full on swing yet, companies are still leaving, but more and more are finding reasons why coming back makes sense.  That started before the primaries even kicked off.

I am curious how much of this is because of Trump. Not just PR factor, but also the threat of tarriffs or in general some sort of trade war kicking off.

Do you want your new plant in a country that is now hostile towards us on trade? I know a trade war is the extreme, but once countries stop giving a crap about your corporations operating in their country, weird things can happen. Taxes, seizures of assets... I would like to hope we wouldn't get there, but...

Archived