Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State:‘The Catch II’ highlights run-Dominating USC: Clemson WR Rod Gardner (1997-

TK

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/7309730.htm

‘The Catch II’ highlights run

Dominating USC: Clemson WR Rod Gardner (1997-2000)

By BOB SPEAR

Sports Editor

1120clem_gardner150.jpg

File photo by Erik Campos/The State

The battle for Clemson quarterback Woodrow Dantzler’s 50-yard pass between Tigers’ receiver Rod Gardner and USC defensive back Andre Goodman ended in the catch that set up the winning field goal for Clemson in 2000. It still prompts heated discussions.

In the week leading to their 2000 football date with South Carolina, several Clemson seniors sat around and pondered their legacy.

What, they wondered, could be better than beating the Game****s again and finishing their careers without a loss to their fierce rival?

Nothing, they decided, and one of their classmates made sure they stepped into the real world with lifetime bragging rights.

The Tigers’ hero, absent from that what-if meeting, laughs and says, “That’s why I won’t go back to Columbia now.”

His name is Rod Gardner, and he made “The Catch II,” a play that three years later still creates indigestion for Carolina fans and the mere mention ignites heated discussions among the schools’ fans.

Depending on allegiance, Gardner either pushed off or made a marvelous play on a 50-yard reception in the final seconds, setting up Clemson’s decisive field goal in a 16-14 triumph.

Gardner’s catch took its place alongside Jerry Butler’s reception for Clemson’s winning touchdown in 1977 in the series’ lore. But he made an equally important grab a year earlier in the Tigers’ 31-21 triumph.

“(Carolina-Clemson) was the biggest rivalry ever for me,” says Gardner, the Washington Redskins’ first-round pick in the 2001 NFL draft. “In my book, (South Carolina) was the one team you were always trying to beat, regardless.”

Then, he throws out a loaded question to which he knows the answer: “When I was there, did we lose to Carolina?”

No.

He had little impact in the Tigers’ 47-21 win in 1997, then caught three passes for a pedestrian 26 yards in Clemson’s 28-19 win a year later.

But he made the difference the next two seasons: six catches for 138 yards and two touchdowns in 1999 and four receptions for 107 yards in 2000.

The Tigers came into the 1999 game needing a victory to qualify for a bowl. Although winless, the Game****s put up stiff resistance and chopped Clemson’s lead to 24-21 in the final quarter.

The moment of truth came with the Tigers’ facing a fourth-and-10 play at the USC 29, and Clemson coach Tommy Bowden called time to discuss strategy.

Gardner: Throw me the ball.

Bowden: Why should we count on you after you dropped a pass and committed an offensive pass interference foul?

Gardner: Just throw me the ball and we’ll see what happens. If I drop it, then it’s on me... . But if I don’t, then you know what I’m saying. Game over.

A moment later, Gardner outdueled defender Arturo Freeman for the ball in the end zone. Game over.

The Tigers really required no prodding to throw Gardner’s way the next year, and the 50-yard bomb from Woody Dantzler in the 2000 game will never be forgotten.

“No, I didn’t push off,” Gardner says. “It’s on the defense to make a play. If he (defender Andre Goodman) had had his hands on me and I would have missed the pass, they wouldn’t have (called interference). Just because it was a completion and it was a situation in the game that was there to win or lose, (the Game****s) are going to find any reason (for losing).

“If the ref didn’t call it ... Every time I pushed off and they felt it was blatant, they called it. When they didn’t (call interference), I made a play.”

Says Dantzler, who threw both of those USC-wrecking passes: “He’s a big-time player who made big-time plays.”

That two of his biggest came against the Game****s and kept his class undefeated against Carolina made them all sweeter.

Staff writer Ron Morris contributed to this report. Reach Spear at (803) 771-8406 or at bspear@thestate.com

:mad: :mad: mad:

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WAS A FREAKING PUSH-OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there and I've run tape on that play thousands of times. In

the land of THE LOU MILLENIUM, it's not known as "The Catch". It's known as "The Non-Call", "The Penalty", "The Cheat" and "The Payoff". In referee terms, it's called offensive interference...and trust me, it was and still is OFFENSIVE!

With the USC/Clemson game on tap for tomorrow, I don't need to stir the ire of an already churning Clemson fanship, but I'd venture that there's not one single USC fan that visits this site (either as a member or visitor) that doesn't feel the same way I do.

But, just as I hated SS when he was at Florida then changed my tune once he joined the "Burgundy and Gold", I forgive Rod Gardner for his transgressions for the same reason.

:cheers: :

Archived