WP:Spurrier Hasn't Decided On Role

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54102-2003Nov17.html

Redskins Notebook

Spurrier Hasn't Decided On Role

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 18, 2003; Page D04

Washington Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier left open the possibility yesterday of reclaiming the role of primary offensive play-caller from offensive coordinator Hue Jackson this week.

Spurrier stopped short of announcing a decision but indicated he needs to be more involved in the play-calling, and said, "We'll talk about that."

Jackson, in his second game as the club's main play-caller, did a good job in Sunday's 20-17 loss at Carolina, Spurrier said, but he did not commit to leaving the arrangement intact for a third consecutive game.

Plane Truth Not Apparent to All

Spurrier and several players said yesterday they think that the officials erred by awarding Carolina tailback Stephen Davis a touchdown with slightly more than a minute to play. But Spurrier and the players said they did not blame the loss on the call or the instant-replay review that failed to overturn it.

"He was reaching the ball toward the plane," Spurrier said. "Whether he got there or not -- it was very, very close. . . . A lot of people thought the ball didn't cross the plane. But they probably would have given them the ball on the 6-inch line with two chances to score. . . . It looked like it wasn't [a touchdown]. But it was close enough that you had to figure they would not change it."

Davis stretched the ball toward the goal line at the end of his three-yard touchdown run, which came on a second-down play. Redskins safety Matt Bowen knocked the ball from Davis's hands, but the officials ruled that the ball first had broken the plane of the goal line and there was not enough replay evidence to overturn the call on the field. Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations, said yesterday there was no clear evidence that the call was incorrect or that it should have been overturned by the replay review. . . .

Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter acknowledged being responsible for the blown coverage on Davis that resulted in a 25-yard pass play on a fourth-and-one situation during Carolina's winning drive. Trotter blitzed quarterback Jake Delhomme and left Davis uncovered.

"That's true," Trotter said. "We were in man to man. I went and hit the quarterback. [Davis] stepped up like he was going to block. It happened one other time earlier in the game and he kind of hid behind the line. I saw an opening and went after the quarterback. I've got to do a better job sticking with my man. I guess they got me when it most counted." . . .

Spurrier said he had "no idea" which tailback will serve as the primary runner against the Dolphins. Trung Canidate and Rock Cartwright split the duties in Carolina. But Canidate has been ineffective since returning from a sprained ankle and Cartwright suffered a sprained ankle Sunday and likely will at least miss practice time this week, according to Spurrier. The Redskins will wait to see whether doctors clear Ladell Betts to return to the lineup after missing three games because of a fractured forearm, and Spurrier left open the possibility of using recently signed John Simon. . . .

Left tackle Chris Samuels was scheduled to undergo an MRI exam on an inflamed knee, but said he expected to play Sunday. . . .

During his weekly paid radio appearance on WTEM, linebacker LaVar Arrington played down his sideline exchange Sunday with defensive coordinator George Edwards. Observers said that Arrington and other players were upset that the defensive play calls were getting to the huddle late.

"The media always likes to create something that most likely isn't there," Arrington said. "I love George Edwards to death. Me and George, we're in this together. We're all in this together. . . . I was asked if I was screaming on the sidelines. That's just how people communicate sometimes during the heat of the moment. I was pumped up and I was trying to get everybody pumped up with me. I think that's what somebody saw, saw me trying to get guys into the game."

Special correspondent Kathy Orton contributed to this report.

Trotter was in a position that he had to guess, cause it was only 1 yard. So he started to go up the middle guessing run, he then saw Davis go out for a pass, and actually did the better thing in realizing his freezing up had left him closer to Delhomme than to Davis, so instead of uselessly taking off after Davis only to be way behind, he actually at this point did the smart thing and almost did sack Delhomme.

But he did screw up on the original play, but it wasnt a real stupid screw up, its not like he just wasnt paying attension, he just guessed wrong, if he'd guessed right we would be praising him, like last week.

from the game yesterday, you could see the Panthers snooker the Redskins a number of times on short yardage. they almost NEVER ran Davis up the middle in those situations and caught the Redskins covering that play all day.

remember the bootleg by Delhomme for the touchdown?

remember the pass to Smith on third down?

and then there was the pass to Davis on the critical play at the end of the game on that final drive.

bulldog,

yeah, and I think all that leads back to the D Line's inability to stop the run by themselves. I think due to our lack of talent on the D Line we have to play very aggressive if we are gonna stop short runs. I dont really think its stupid playing, I just think its something we have to do b/c of our lack of talent up front. If the D Line could handle it by themselves the rest of the guys could focus more on the pass on 3rd and short or situations like that.

Originally posted by TK421Clicker

Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter acknowledged being responsible for the blown coverage on Davis that resulted in a 25-yard pass play on a fourth-and-one situation during Carolina's winning drive. Trotter blitzed quarterback Jake Delhomme and left Davis uncovered.

"That's true," Trotter said. "We were in man to man. I went and hit the quarterback. [Davis] stepped up like he was going to block. It happened one other time earlier in the game and he kind of hid behind the line. I saw an opening and went after the quarterback. I've got to do a better job sticking with my man. I guess they got me when it most counted." . . .

Can all the Edwards bashers stop already? He is putting these guys in position to make plays more often than not, but the linebackers in particular are really hurting us.

Trotter did NOT do the right thing here. If the RB runs to the flat and the play call says you follow him there, then do it. The linebackers should not take it upon themselves to account for a weak d-line. Thats what George Edwards gets paid for. Just play the defense that's called.

Archived