WP:Ramsey's Hobbling

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54419-2003Nov17.html

Ramsey's Hobbling

Quarterback Has Been Playing With Injured Foot

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 18, 2003; Page D01

Patrick Ramsey also has been playing this season with an injured forearm, shoulder and pinkie. (Jonathan Newton - The Washington Post)

I54478-2003Nov17

Washington Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey left Redskins Park limping yesterday after an old fracture in his right foot, initially diagnosed during the preseason, flared up again. The injury, which the team described as a bone bruise, makes it difficult for Ramsey to plant his right foot when he throws and has bothered the second-year quarterback the past two games, including Sunday's 20-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

As Ramsey walked gingerly toward his car after watching film and receiving treatment for his various ailments, he placed most of his weight on his left foot. But it was Coach Steve Spurrier, not Ramsey, who initially revealed the injury to reporters.

"It's flared up pretty bad recently," said Ramsey, who also has suffered a sprained left shoulder, a bruised left forearm and a dislocated left pinkie this season. "It's just something I'm trying to fight through."

Ramsey has been as tough as a black box this season, withstanding 29 sacks and countless other hits, and he intends to play with the bone bruise Sunday night when the Redskins (4-6) visit the Miami Dolphins (6-4).

Ramsey's resilience amid porous pass protection has made it difficult to find fault with his development this season. However, he had one of his worst performances of the season Sunday; several passes went awry despite time to throw, and the injury didn't appear to play a part in Ramsey's recurring flaw -- holding on to the ball too long.

"He missed some balls that he usually hits so we have to work on it," said quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise. "There are some mistakes that are being made that you can chalk up to being young and inexperienced a little bit. But there are some of them that you hope wouldn't be made at this point. He can play a lot better, and he knows that."

Ramsey has embodied the Redskins' season: After a fast start, in which he was among the NFL's top-rated quarterbacks, the Tulane product has dropped to No. 17 in the NFL and No. 8 in the NFC with 14 touchdowns vs. nine interceptions on 53.4 percent accuracy.

"It's been up and down as it has been for all of us on this team," said Ramsey, who was 16 for 35 for 150 yards against Carolina. "It's been exciting [initially] and frustrating."

Ramsey's next start will be only his 16th, the equivalent of one full NFL season. He has shown the inconsistencies inherent in a young signal-caller, especially one who must oversee a complicated, quarterback-driven system.

One way to evaluate Ramsey's progress is by comparing him to quarterbacks chosen ahead of him in the 2002 draft. Houston Texans quarterback David Carr, selected No. 1, is the 18th-rated quarterback in the NFL, with eight touchdowns and nine interceptions on 57.9 percent completions. Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington, selected No. 3 overall, is rated next-to-last. Unlike Ramsey, Carr and Harrington were starters throughout their rookie seasons.

In the past few games, the Redskins have trimmed the number of audibles to give the offense less of a burden. Instead of changing a play based on the slightest defensive shift, Ramsey audibles in only dire situations. "To get out of bad, bad plays," said offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

Of course, the beatings suffered by Ramsey remain a factor. Although Ramsey never quite got "happy feet", the constant pounding threw off his rhythm. "Got to get him more comfortable in the pocket," Spurrier said.

Ramsey's best qualities remain his toughness, strong arm and leadership. Perhaps his biggest flaw, however, has been the tendency to hold on to the ball too long, leading to hits. The habit has been difficult to break partly because Ramsey produced big plays and praise early in the season for last-second throws.

The Fun 'n' Gun offense hasn't protected Ramsey sufficiently this season, so Spurrier has tried to shield him from criticism off the field. After Sunday's game, Spurrier attributed Ramsey's overthrows of open receivers to the wind before Ramsey dismissed the excuse. Yesterday, when Spurrier was asked to assess Ramsey's performance against Carolina, the occasionally reticent coach revealed the injury.

Wideout Darnerien McCants said Spurrier is extremely demanding of Ramsey behind closed doors, with one area of emphasis being releasing the ball quicker.

"You can't be too harsh on Patrick [publicly]," explained McCants, who caught his team-high fifth touchdown pass Sunday, "because you need his head on straight."

Ramsey isn't sure exactly when he originally fractured his foot. It started hurting in August, prompting Ramsey to have x-rays taken. The injury affects Ramsey's footwork, making it difficult for such things as pushing off his back foot and turning his hips. "He's fidgety with his feet," Spurrier said.

The injury was aggravated two weeks ago, when Washington defeated the Seattle Seahawks, 27-20. Nonetheless, Ramsey had one of his best games in recent weeks against the Seahawks: 17 of 32 for 232 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. It was also the only game of the season in which Ramsey wasn't sacked. And the performance was one reason that Ramsey didn't initially disclose the injury.

"I'm striving for perfection," Ramsey said, "so I'm not going to make any excuse for mistakes that I do make."

Originally posted by GoSkins

So, the audibles have been trimmed from getting the offense out of bad plays to getting the offense out of BAD, BAD plays. :laugh:

In Spurrier's popular book in The Fun and Gun for Idiots he refers to this effect as "bad squared". Here's a quote from the chapter on audibles...

...By using my system of bad squared audibling the quarterback can avoid a worser than worse outcome.

You know, there were several times Sunday at the game when I thought I saw Patrick limping, but then he seemed okay, so I just figured it was my eyes playing tricks on me from the upper deck. That might explain some of his off deep throws....I imagine you really plant for those 50 yard + throws, and any foot problems could impact your touch on those types of throws. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this doesn't explain some of his accuracy woes the past couple of games. He should get some major props from all of us just for hanging in there so tough this year under an incredible physical barrage.

Here's to you Ramsey :cheers:

Archived