FNS:Panthers ready for battle with Redskins

TK

http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=7281

Panthers ready for battle with Redskins

Steve Reed

Freedom News Service

Steve Reed

Freedom News Service

CHARLOTTE — One of the more comical moments in the Carolina Panthers locker room came on Thursday when center Jeff Mitchell abruptly broke out into a fairly good Steve Spurrier impersonation following a question about his former college coach at Florida.

Mitchell was talking about how Spurrier, whom he played under for four seasons, would verbally attack and openly mock his players after a loss.

“He’d be like, ‘Mitch, what are you doing here? What’s the matter? Be an athlete!,” Mitchell said in his best high-pitched Spurrier voice.

“If you got beat on pass protection, he thought that was the easiest thing in the world. He’d say, ‘It’s basketball, just move your feet! Move your feet, Mitch!’ It was funny, but that’s the way he was. I remember he would just lose his head a little bit and say some things that you usually wouldn’t say.”

Mitchell said he isn’t sure if Spurrier still does that, but said that ridicule probably wouldn’t fly with most NFL players.

“I think you can be more professional about it. In some ways, Coach Spurrier was very professional in college, the way he treated us,” Mitchell said. “But sometimes when we lost, he wasn’t.

“In the NFL, no, I think you have to be a little more professional about it. When somebody screws up and loses, they know and they feel like crap. Plus somebody else is waiting at the door to take your job. That’s enough pressure in itself. You don’t need any personal stuff going on. It doesn’t help. I don’t think it helps at all.”

Substitution pattern

Panthers head coach John Fox said there’s no set pattern as to how the team rotates Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster in and out of the backfield.

“There is really no designated plan,” Fox said. “It is not like we are going to go with a different guy on the second series.

“We run the starters until they get tired, and the next guy goes in. They get tired at points, especially after long runs. Maybe after a sustained drive. Six or seven plays into a drive, guys gasp a little bit. We just do our best to keep them fresh and we have confidence in all of them.”

Not afraid of Spurrier

Panthers free safety and former Tennessee Volunteer Deon Grant, who has a long history of facing Spurrier in college, said he isn’t afraid of the old ball coach’s pass-happy offense. In fact, Grant suggested the fear factor might be the other way around.

“Spurrier couldn’t stand me at Tennessee,” Grant said. “That is when I used to get at least two interception per game from him. He’s not going to try to attack me.”

He keeps going and going

How long has Redskins veteran defensive end Bruce Smith been playing in the NFL? Consider this: He got his first professional sack when Panthers rookie right tackle Jordan Gross was in kindergarten.

How long has Redskins veteran defensive end Bruce Smith been playing in the NFL? Consider this: He got his first professional sack when Panthers rookie right tackle Jordan Gross was in kindergarten.

imagine bruce going to an elementary school and telling a kid he could play in the nfl one day if he works hard---then ~20years later bruce is getting pancaked by that little kid.:rotflmao:

Archived