Skins.com:Dalton Makes His Mark On D-Line

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12258

Dalton Makes His Mark On D-Line

11/14/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

DP2.jpg

At first, Lional Dalton wasn't sure how to react. The 6-1, 309-pound defensive tackle had gotten to his feet after sacking Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and his first reaction was to look around, almost in stunned disbelief.

“It had been a year and a half since my last sack,” he said after last week's game, a 27-20 Redskins win. “I didn't know what to do.”

As fellow lineman Bernard Holsey rushed over to congratulate him, Dalton decided to dance to celebrate his first sack of the season and his first as a Redskin. It was also a celebration for making an impact after so many weeks on the team’s game-day inactive list.

And with Jermaine Haley questionable for Sunday’s game against Carolina, Dalton could draw his second start in as many weeks.

The Redskins traded a conditional draft pick to the Denver Broncos for Dalton a few days after training camp ended last August. He was brought in primarily to provide depth along the defensive line and help establish a defensive tackle rotation with Haley, Bernard and Martin Chase. Since then, the Redskins have also added Darrell Russell to the mix.

As a unit, the Redskins' defensive line has struggled against the run in recent weeks, allowing 209 rushing yards to Dallas and 125 yards to Seattle. The group will have a challenge this Sunday against Carolina and its third-ranked rush offense, led by former Redskin Stephen Davis.

The defensive linemen will have to maintain their gaps and fight off blocks to keep Davis from getting a head of steam, said defensive coordinator George Edwards.

"There's no question our run defense is going to have to step up on Sunday," said Edwards.

For longer than a month, Dalton has been waiting patiently for an opportunity to make his mark on the Redskins. He saw limited action in the Redskins’ first two games, then was inactive for four consecutive games.

Dalton was a reserve in games at Buffalo and Dallas, before finally receiving the starting assignment against Seattle.

“I don’t think it was hard to adjust to playing again because I was still practicing with the guys, going through game plans,” he said. “I pretty much did everything the guys did during the week. I just didn’t play in the games.”

Dalton admitted to being a little frustrated at his lack of playing time at first. But coaches were forthright with him, explaining that he was caught up in a numbers game since the team could only dress 45 players on game day.

With Russell, a two-time Pro Bowler, rounding into shape after not playing football in 18 months and Haley's sprained shoulder and fractured thumb gradually improving, Dalton knows he has to make the most of any playing time that comes his way.

“Things happen for a reason and eventually I knew I would get a chance,” he said. “George Edwards told me, 'Eventually your time will come,' and it’s here, so it’s up to me to take advantage of it and stay in this position.”

DS.jpg

NavyDave,

We inherited Lional Dalton's contract which expires after the 2008 season. He signed a 7 yr. contract in 2002 with the Broncos.

He took a pay cut to $900k when he was traded, but is due to make 1.8M next year and 3.0M in the succeeding years.

Obviously he will have to take additional pay cuts; remain a starter; or up his play, if he wants to keep making that kind of bread. :laugh:

That was a homer article if I have ever seen one. No one's play on the d line has been worth an article, IMHO.

I would agree with ya If we were talkin mainstream media, but it's Redskins.com, why shouldn't it be a homer article:laugh:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

NavyDave,

We inherited Lional Dalton's contract which expires after the 2008 season. He signed a 7 yr. contract in 2002 with the Broncos.

He took a pay cut to $900k when he was traded, but is due to make 1.8M next year and 3.0M in the succeeding years.

Obviously he will have to take additional pay cuts; remain a starter; or up his play, if he wants to keep making that kind of bread. :laugh:

I hope this is not another Dan Wilkinson situation

Archived