Skins.com:H. Jackson: Carolina D-Line Is 'Formidable'

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12256

Hue2.jpg

H. Jackson: Carolina D-Line Is 'Formidable'

11/14/2003

From the Sidelines

With Hue Jackson

Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson coached from the sidelines in Sunday's 27-20 victory over Seattle and helped call plays with head coach Steve Spurrier. The Redskins got back on track, rolling up 379 yards in total offense and employing a little razzle-dazzle when Rod Gardner threw a game-winning 10-yard touchdown pass to Trung Canidate in the fourth quarter. Jackson spoke with Redskins.com as the team prepared for the Week 11 game against the Carolina Panthers:

Q: We've renamed your weekly column to "From the Sidelines With Hue Jackson" now that you're no longer in the coach's booth during games. Are you glad to be back down on the field with your players?

A: "It was good to be back down there amongst the players and amongst the action. Sometimes when you're in the coach's booth, you feel like you're away, but it is a place where you can find a little solitude, really think and make decisions. I think I really like the chaos better, where people are flying around on the field and people are talking on the field. That might be more my personality than sitting in a box and watching the game from above."

Q: Discuss the dynamic between you and coach Spurrier as you're calling plays…

A: "It's really no different—we've always bounced ideas off each other during games. I've said all week that this is coach Spurrier's offense and it's his terminology and his plays. The only change that happened in the past week is that coach said, 'Hue, let's let it go through you to the quarterback as opposed to going from me to the quarterback.' I had the opportunity to make the final call because I was talking to the quarterback. That's the only difference. We all sit here all night and put the game plans together and make decisions on what plays we should run and not run."

Q: Are you preparing any differently during the week knowing you'll have an expanded role in the play-calling?

A: "No. We've all learned that if you cross all the t's and dot all the i's during the week, it's very easy because you go to a game with a plan that's been laid out based on what you've done all week. The only other emphasis is making sure that you give the players an opportunity to be successful in the things that you've practiced all week."

Q: Is Carolina's front four of Julius Peppers, Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins and Brentsen Buckner the best the Redskins will face this season?

A: "I think so. They are a tremendous defensive football team. Their front four is formidable with their size and their athleticism. Our players know and understand that we have to rise up, because it'll be a tremendous challenge. We just have to make sure our players prepare well so that we can offset some of the things the defense is going to try to do."

Q: Is it difficult to prepare for blitz packages and try to come up with blocking schemes to minimize a front four that can be so aggressive?

A: "We've probably seen every blitz and stunt that you can imagine so far this season. It's not difficult to prepare. The execution of what we do is the bottom line. So we don't worry as much about the defense as far as what they do. Who they are is obviously very important because we want to make sure we have good matchups along the line. If a player needs help, we make sure we get him help. So we're not worried about the type of blitzes and type of stunts they bring. What we need to worry about is making sure we understand what it is we need to do. I've said all along that I want to make sure that we set the tempo, to dictate to the defense and not have the defense dictate to us. The defenses have dictated to us in the past. Hopefully, we can get that turned around. We had a good start last week."

Q: Two of Carolina's three cornerbacks stand at 5-9. Is it a tendency to want to attack those cornerbacks, given that the Redskins have taller receivers in Rod Gardner, Laveranues Coles and Darnerien McCants?

A: "We would attack if they were 5-9 or 6-3, because that's what we do. Just because a guy is smaller doesn't mean he isn't up to the challenge. I know everyone says if they have smaller corners and you have taller receivers, maybe you can make some easier plays…Well, you still have to go execute. You still have to go make plays."

Q: You were the running backs coach for Stephen Davis for two seasons here in Washington. What's it going to be like for you to see him on the other side of the field on Sunday:

A: "It was different in the preseason seeing him dressed in the Carolina blue, and I'm sure it'll be different this Sunday. But for three hours, I'm going to put my personal feelings aside and go do the best job that I can to make sure the Washington Redskins are victorious. That's my goal, and I'm sure he knows that and respects that. And that's his goal on the other side. I'm not going to get caught up in the moment of watching him play because I want to make sure that I'm caught up in the moment of making sure we win. That's all that matters."

Hue Jackson is in his first season as offensive coordinator with the Redskins after serving two years as running backs coach. He previously spent four years as offensive coordinator at USC. Jackson is regarded as a high-energy, hands-on teacher and motivator. Look for his column every week on Redskins.com

Is our offensive line not formidable? I mean seriously, wouldn't be great if Jansen, Samuels, Dockery, Friedman, and Thomas came out and punched the Carolina front four right in the mouth?

You can't tell me that if we came out the gate and decided we were gonna play agressive smash mouth physical football with some finesse mixed in that we can't win this game.

This line was built to play against defensive lines like this and be successful. To hell with the Helton talk, let's come out and let these boys on our O-line flatten some folks. Save the finesse for Coles and Gardner in the secondary. Let's play some Redskins football!

Archived