Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virginia Cavaliers Thread

jpage520

This is the all encompassing thread designed for us Hoos fans on the board. Use this thread to talk Hoos football, basketball, baseball, etc.

NOTE: If this thread as is doesn't generate enough discussion worthy of its own topic I have no issue making it into a general Virginia schools thread to include the Hokies here and/or the other schools down here in The Commonwealth. Help me out here.

I'll start things off with saying that my heart, as well as the rest of yours Wahoo Nation, was shattered after our exit from the Elite 8. I'm so proud of the run these kids had and it was pure elation seeing UVa get to the Elite 8 for the first time in 21 years. But no matter what it always leaves a sour taste in your mouth to see the run cut short.

That being said, moving forward, things look bright. While I'll miss Brogs, Tobey, AG, and Nolte, our recruiting classes coming up look nothing short of awesome. Kyle Guy alone is enough to keep us competitive if not a favorite in the ACC. Looking more and more like the next couple years the ACC will come down to us, UNC, and Duke.

On another note. The dawn of a new era is upon us in the football program. The Bronco era is now in full swing and I must say that I'm nothing short of impressed. The character he's shown coming in has been great, and some of the new things he's implementing may just be the kick in the ass this program has needed for years. His system of making players earn their numbers, earn their names on the jersey, etc is just awesome and I commend that philosophy.

On that note, where does it seem we stand now? Who do you think steps up and turns heads in the new system? How long until we start seeing things pay off in the team record?

Bronco brings accountability and hard work. Players love him so far and his tough love.

During practice he took the names off the jerseys and said if you work hard you earn the right to wear the Jersey. Otherwise you won't wear ****. And that kind of tough love had been missing for some time.

One of his quotes is "nothing is given, it's earned". You have to earn respect through hard work. And the players understand that and are working to become relevant again

Because it was used as a call during the old days in sporting games, I think.

Google it on Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

The nickname is a back-formation from the school's yell, "wa-hoo-wa."

Official University of Virginia sports documents explain that Washington and Lee baseball fans first called University of Virginia players "a bunch of rowdy Wahoos," and used the "Wahoowa" yell as a form of derision during the in-state baseball rivalry in the 1890s, presumably after hearing them yell or sing "wa-hoo-wa."

Look at IX, a VPI guy with the UVa insight. I like it.

Yeah, it's one of those terms that started as a knock that has since been turned into a badge of pride. It's incorporated in "The Good Ol' Song" as well. Which, if you're unfamiliar is the song we sing at Scott after scores that sounds like Auld Lang Syn because it's sung to that rhythm.

That philosophy and the fact that he's basically stripping things down and overhauling the program is what I love about Bronco already. He also has a proven track record from when he was at BYU. He's already making moves in recruiting and moving our pipelines as far west as Hawaii which is awesome. I have no doubt that with Beamer out now and a name like Bronco's along with his philosophy we will get a leg up in the state as well. Recruiting the Tidewater is going to be key. But he also needs to nab some recruits out of NoVa which has lately been taken over by PSU, WVU, and UMd.

It's incorporated in "The Good Ol' Song" as well. Which, if you're unfamiliar is the song we sing at Scott after scores that sounds like Auld Lang Syn because it's sung to that rhythm.

I hate to say it, but I wish they would either use their real fight song or come up with a new one.  Maybe the first hard rock fight song.  I understand tradition, but it's coma inducing.

I hate to say it, but I wish they would either use their real fight song or come up with a new one.  Maybe the first hard rock fight song.  I understand tradition, but it's coma inducing.

Yeah, I'm pretty much on the fence. I personally would almost rather see The Good Ol Song played at the end of games rather than every score. Then do a regular fight song or something with a little more juice after scores.

.....bring back the mid-80's song U-V-A | YES!   where | = lightening bolt.....and bring back the Pep Band (..not gonna happen, but I have to put that in here).

...optimistic about Bronco turning things around, but not expecting much in 2016.   The game at Oregon on 9/10 could be ugly.

I would be thrilled with six wins even if it means we go to the "Too Many Cooks" Bowl.

Looking forward to seeing Kyle Guy next year. 

I have season tickets for Football and Hoops with my brother and a friend.

Lol Every UVa fan calls for a return of the pep band. But we all know it ain't happening. Honestly, I say yeah bring it back. But I think we all know that it'll be a watered down shell of what it was at one point so a little part of me is kinda glad they haven't done it.

Yeah, some folks especially over on The Sabre are predicting we go Bowling already. I don't rule it out but I think considering the OOC schedule we began putting together a couple years ago including the Oregons, NDs, UCLAs, and other big time P5 schools without having the team to compete with them is still setting us back. I'm a firm believer that you're not the best unless you can beat the best and all. But Littlepage and Oliver kinda threw us into the lions den after that 2011 season.

Do you tailgate at all? Member of Camp Wahoo or Wilk Hall?

Do you tailgate at all? Member of Camp Wahoo or Wilk Hall?

We tailgate for Skins games, but not UVA. Our group is my brother, me, a friend of mine, and his teen agedson. My friend's wife and their two girls were part of our group, but he dropped their tickets a few yearsago.

My friend and I have had UVA FBall tickets since 1994(?) and my brother since 1982. How about you?

• 2 weeks later...

Lol Oh come on. You and I both know that's most likely just a display cup. There's a plate on it. Probably just displays each time we've won. The actual Cup itself is a standalone piece.

This is a good write up of exactly what makes Bronco different than London. The new level of discipline expected from these guys is amazing. With that I have a lot of trouble seeing us having any more 12 men penalties to decide a rivalry game.

• 4 months later...

Alright folks, here we are. Just over a week to go before the game against Richmond. Practice has been underway. Few points to touch on going into 9/3...

- Bronco officially named Benkert as the starting QB.

- We have a few players on award watch lists like QB3 and Smoke.

- Rumor now has it that the Cavman videos that play on HooVision before the games are now nixed.

I'm intrigued as to what kind of offense we're looking at coming into the year under Bronco. I think one of the big changes we'll see is a little more option and much less of the seemingly forced "Power run" style that was reverted to constantly over things that worked to players' skillsets under London. Most importantly though, I think we should see a lot of the silly mistakes go away. The clock management issues, the stupid penalties in critical situations, and things like that. The team should also be much better conditioned moving forward.

I'm excited for this year. But I think I'm even more excited for the years to follow when Bronco starts getting his guys in there specially recruited to play in his system. My preseason prediction at this point is about 5-7, maybe 6-6. Considering the circumstances, I don't have overly high expectations for our record or any prospects of going Bowling this year really just because it's not so much the record that's important this year as it is instituting a culture change and beginning a new era. All that said, I just can't wait for the season to start. Interested to hear y'alls thoughts...

GO HOOS!

I'm really excited about this year but I'm tempering my expectations.  It's going to take a good 2-3 years I think before Bronco has us back in a reasonably good place.  But it should be refreshing to watch a well-coached team and a staff that doesn't make multiple, infuriating time and roster management decisions every game.  Can you imagine having a starting quarterback and the job just being his barring injury or really atrocious play?

WHAT!? - NO CAV MAN!!! For several game in recent years, that was the highlight of the game.  I remember when the Pep Band was the highlight of the game.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I was at a game in the early 1980's and someone would say, "I'm leaving after the Pep Band performs".

As far as clock management and silly mistakes, the bar has been set so low that we can only improve. 

We should have a good feel as to where we are after the Oregon game.

It's a rumor that the Cav Man videos are going away. I do hope that the Cavalier still rides Sabre out there to lead the team out.

3 hours ago, HooHog said:

I'm really excited about this year but I'm tempering my expectations.  It's going to take a good 2-3 years I think before Bronco has us back in a reasonably good place.  But it should be refreshing to watch a well-coached team and a staff that doesn't make multiple, infuriating time and roster management decisions every game.  Can you imagine having a starting quarterback and the job just being his barring injury or really atrocious play?

Lol You mean you don't want another year with a starting QB rotation like an MLB pitching staff? I thought that was required.

Archived