Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Travel Trailers

Grizz

I have decided to purchase a travel trailer to do some camping with my family. I am looking for something in the 26-28ft range and has a slide out. My budget is around 17-18k. I've seen a few nice ones in that range but not sure of the overall long term quality. Anyome have any experience or advice on what to buy or not to buy? I am going to the Tulsa RV and boat show next week and want to get some good background before I go.

I just bought a Jayco Whitehawk 25bhs. Got pretty familiar with a lot of brands and options too much to cover. Fire away any specific questions but if I had to boil it all down to 2 pieces of advice

1) ignore your vehicles published tow rating. It is 1000% bull****. Do research on tongue weight and your vehicles load capacity. This will be your limiting factor far before you come anywhere close to your tow rating.

2). Beware "ultra light" in most cases this really means "ultra cheap"

I have an 04 Cadillac Escalade with AWDI was looking at the Heartland Prowler 27p BHS for $18,000

Feels like too much trailer for your tow vehicle. What is your GVWR. Look on the yellow sticker inside your door jamb on the drivers side. I'm guessing it's 1300 lbs or so

There should be a sticker on the inside of your door jamb on your vehicle that says something like "weight not to exceedxxx lbs"

Most half ton trucks tend to be anywhere from 1100-1600 lbs. even less for an SUV. Check yours

If the trailer you are looking at has a gross weight of 6000 lbs that means the tongue weight is going to be roughly 750 pounds. Your weight distribution hitch is another 100.

So, before you've bought gas, before you've put a suitcase in the back of your suv, before your kids have gotten in, before YOU have gotten in the vehicle, you've already used up 850 of your available 1100 lbs (estimate) GVWR. If you weigh 250 now you are at the limit. No suitcases, no family, and no gas.

And bet Cadillac advertises a tow rating of 7000 lbs or so. Which is why, again, I will point out that manufacturer tow ratings are complete BS. The actual capabilities of your vehicle are far less

It is the reason people buy 3/4 ton trucks. The gas F250 published tow rating is the same as the eco boost F150. Why would someone buy one then? Because the GVWR is 3000 instead of 1800.

Do your research.

Archived